• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

5E What If the players lost every adventure path so far in the realms?

GameOgre

Explorer
What if your group all died by Tiamat's hands? Then they all died fighting Evil Elemental cultists? The next group after that went vampire hunting in Ravenloft and meet their bloody deaths.

One group of adventurers even went mad far far below in the Underdark and attacked a Demon Lord and had their souls devoured.

The next band of adventurers lead a force against the Giants before being defeated and eaten.

Now I'm not asking for the consequences on a Dungeon Masters game table and maybe the need to relook at how he does things lol.

What I'm wondering about is how each of those failures to stop the evil forces being unleashed would effect the game world!

This might make a fun and interesting game setting!

S

Sunseeker

Well, I think we'd basically end up with a completely evil-shifted world where multiple factions of evil control various parts of the world and the "adventurers" would be working for them, or perhaps some kind of "rebel scu...alliance".

Redthistle

Explorer
What if your group all died by Tiamat's hands? Then they all died fighting Evil Elemental cultists? The next group after that went vampire hunting in Ravenloft and meet their bloody deaths.

One group of adventurers even went mad far far below in the Underdark and attacked a Demon Lord and had their souls devoured.

The next band of adventurers lead a force against the Giants before being defeated and eaten.

Now I'm not asking for the consequences on a Dungeon Masters game table and maybe the need to relook at how he does things lol.

What I'm wondering about is how each of those failures to stop the evil forces being unleashed would effect the game world!

Under this scenario, see Athas for an idea of Toril's future. :-S

Satyrn

Villager
It might be exceptionally interesting as an alternative univese type campaign for a group that's played through the adventures successfully.

A "what if you had failed" premise

OB1

Well, I think we'd basically end up with a completely evil-shifted world where multiple factions of evil control various parts of the world and the "adventurers" would be working for them, or perhaps some kind of "rebel scu...alliance".
This is a really interesting concept. A war-torn, nearly destroyed Toril where almost all hope has been lost and a small group of adventurers struggling to unite the resistance against the evil factions or just trying to survive. Heroes are always on the run, always in danger of being discovered by the sinister agents of one faction or another. I may have to do this for my next big home-brew campaign. First order of business would be figuring out what factions control what areas of the world, coming up with a set of unique backgrounds, deciding who, and where and how the resistance operates.

Ath-kethin

Explorer
You could check out the 3.something Midnight campaign setting g for ideas. It's basically a "what if Sauron won?" sort of concept.

cmad1977

Explorer
I like the idea of 4-5 wicked factions vying for control of the known world while the heroes do what they can to survive and help if they can. Feels like fantasy shadowrun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonsterEnvy

Explorer
Tiamat probably would have dominated the north of the world and new dragon empire would have formed. And eventually the entire would would have fallen under her domain.

With the Elemental Cults the Desserin valley would have been destroyed before anything really came forth to stop it.

The Demon Lords would have moved up to the surface and likely started more dangerous plans as more Demons came and destroyed all they could.

If the Players lost to Strahd nothing would have happened. Strahd would still be trapped and eventually the events would repeat with a new group of adventurers.

Giants would have caused a lot of devastation. But how things would turn out is quite variable.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Probably something like this:

https://goo.gl/images/Wmnupl

As for playing in that world, I would likely not find it fun at all. Call of Cthulhu is about as dark as I'm willing to go, that world would arguably be darker than that. :)

Last edited:

Eltab

Villager
Tiamat (finally) moves in to The Nation Formerly Known As Unther.
Bahamut becomes a really big deal in FR
The Elemental Cult of Fire feels a pull towards Calimshan.
The Elemental Cult of Water moves just offshore from Neverwinter.
The Elemental Cult of Earth gets itself into a long war with the Dwarves, led by Gauntlegrym (which becomes a lost city again). Orcs show up to clobber both and revenge Many-Arrows.
The Elemental Cult of Air just kind of blows away but reappears in a mostly-random manner, here and there.
Large parts of Faerun bear a distinct resemblance to Twilight 2000: The -insert region here- Front
Demon Lords set up power bases in Faerun but primarily want to fight over power in the Abyss.
Eltab decides to knock a few of the aforesaid demon lords while they aren't looking. He wants to re-establish the Empire of Narfell, under himself.
Red Wizards of Thay, under dire necessity, take the existing techniques for controlling Outsiders and establish a new School of Magic out of it.
The Gods of Mulhorand show up in physical form to protect the land and their people.

Faerun becomes a Points of Light setting in a manner that the Spellplague could not really accomplish. Except that, unlike Nerath, Evil is clearly on the march against any holdouts for Good.

Eltab

Villager
see Athas for an idea of Toril's future. :-S
It might be easier to just set a campaign in Athas as the Sorcerer-Kings were fighting the wars that defiled the whole planet.

I have to believe that Ao would eventually take notice and intervene.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
"What if the heroes lost" is a pretty great premise. The above mentioned Old Man Logan is a good example, Also Brandon Sanderson said it was a driving idea behind his popular Mistborn series.

What's unique about your scenario is that there were multiple competing apocalypses in quick succession. All those Threats, now having become powers would majorly disrupt the status quo. There would be a lot of chaos and less Centralized authority. Murderhobos would thrive.

"What if the heroes lost" is a pretty great premise. The above mentioned Old Man Logan is a good example, Also Brandon Sanderson said it was a driving idea behind his popular Mistborn series.

What's unique about your scenario is that there were multiple competing apocalypses in quick succession. All those Threats, now having become powers would majorly disrupt the status quo. There would be a lot of chaos and less Centralized authority. Murderhobos would thrive.
According to the Great Book of DPR: Lo, in the days past the Sundering, all became enemies of all others. All that mattered was how much damage you did and how much you could take. And this was Paradise.

Advertisement