What is most YOUR concept of the fantasy ninja?

Moulin Rogue

First Post
OA didn't offer a core ninja class because there are just too many conflicting ideas of what a fantasy ninja "should" be (plus the debate of whether or not it should be a core class at all). There are two different ninja PrCs in WotC publications, and Rokugan has a core ninja as well.... but what vision of the ninja carries the most weight in YOUR mind?

Edit: I screwed up my first attempt to post a poll. Forget this thread, use the other.

- 80s movies! Martial arts masters with cool weapons.
- supernatural powers.
- assassin abilities.
- the real, historical ninja.
- just PHB rogues.
- the obligatory "other".

Last edited:

Nish

First Post
Moulin Rogue said:
- the real, historical ninja.
Hah! That's a good one. :p

But seriously, we run Ninja as a slightly modified version of the rogue. Most of our treatment of them is based on the old 2e Complete Ninja's Handbook, which had Ninja as a thief variant.

Personally I hate the idea of Ninja as a prestige class. I like the whole "trained from birth," and insular extended family paradigm.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Real, historical ninja.

And I like master ninja as prestige class. The clan will decide on the child's career, especially to build a good cover identity when he grows up and assimilate into society. The leaders will continue to monitor that child, and if he does well as an adult, they will put him in advanced training. Then send him out, wherever he is needed.

If he fails, he probably will not be entered into advanced training but continues to serve the ninja community (a province similar to the Iga).

Last edited:

Impeesa

Explorer
Ever start browsing some really old stuff, just to see what people were talking about? And then forget that it was really old and post a reply to something interesting? ;) I've done that before... just not here.

--Impeesa--

Remove ads