What Would You Like to See in the 2d6 String System!

Jraynack

Explorer
2d6StringTh.jpg

We are in development of a new RPG Game: the 2d6 String System. The game mechanics are designed by Luke Peterschmidt (Dark Age CCG, Guardians CCG, Warhammer 40K CCG). Though intially developed for a CCG and miniatures game, we are expanding this system into an RPG.

While in development, we have discussed general aspects of RPGs that are either missing, lacking, or become outdated.

What aspect of RPGs do you feel are totally lacking or simply nonexistant?

Jraynack

Explorer
I agree. D20 or other a lot of other systems do not have a solid and easy mass combat system.

I thought Heroes of Battle would fill that niche, but it didn't. Other publishers have come out with a few, but prove to much bookwork for the GM before hand.

With a mass combat system in place, a hybrid wargame would follow easily. The 2d6 String system could easily be adapted into a miniatures wargame, but a lot of gamers would like to stick to the RPG.

I have come up with a mass combat system for d20 that really gives the feel that a character is in the middle of mass combat without the use of a thousand or even a hundred or even fifty miniatures (we haven't published it yet - still playtesting).

Mass combat is definately an aspect we are going to look as soon as the core mechanics are settled. With mass combat rules in place, a GM or Player could run a war campaign and definitely give an epic feel to an RPG. Also, it creates an atmosphere that the characters are a part of the world, rather than a small, isolated group saving the world all by themselves.

While that is good - it does grow old after the fifth time they saved the world. Even the LoTR characters needed a mass combat or two in order to change the world.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Cry Havok & Fields of Blood both give a good start to mass combat but that is only a small fraction of what made BIRTHRIGHT so attractive. There is still a large and active BR community using supplements that stopped production 10 years ago...

The game is set up to allow all different kinds of leaders ~ the underhanded could become merchant, church, or national leaders using guile and wits to win his way through but right next door a mage governs (the land, church of magic, or guild) guided by his arcane gifts.

This style game lends itself to internet roleplaying. Maybe, after I have a cup of coffee, I will ponder a bit more on the actual market of BR and what it would take to tap it.

Jraynack

Explorer
Eosin the Red said:
This style game lends itself to internet roleplaying. Maybe, after I have a cup of coffee, I will ponder a bit more on the actual market of BR and what it would take to tap it.

Cup of tea, here. Those are definately some of the elements I would like to see in our upcoming Feudal Lords Campaign Setting for d20 and are working to that end. But another element besides mass combat, is acquiring land, building armies, and so forth.

In the 2d6 String System, we are toying with the idea of a support NPC - someone that has influence for the character, gets him some supplies and training when needed, but isn't really apart of the adventure. This at least in the beginning, then characters themselves can take on this role.

In a medieval setting this would mirror a type of feudalism chain of command, where in a modern setting that support NPC might be the CIA or a Corporation.

Jankenstein

First Post
One of the aspects I liked about campaign settings such as Birthright or Harn was the political structure and the worldbuilding aspect. There's something a lot more appealing to being part of a dynamic world that makes sense instead of dungeoncrawling in something that could only ecologically exist in a Stasis Field.

In terms of aspects of RPGs that are neglected/non-existent, I'd have to think about that for a good long while. I'm just getting back into RPG's after some time away from them. Wish I had 40 hrs in the day to look at half the things I'm interested in.

Jraynack

Explorer
Jankenstein said:
Wish I had 40 hrs in the day to look at half the things I'm interested in.

You and me both - On a personal level, I also like games with political intrigue as it helps make players believe that they are indeed a part of a living, breathing world. The megacampaign that I am writing for the forthcoming Feudal Lords Campaign Setting reflects this.

In the core setting for the 2d6 String System will be a medieval setting, historically based. That way, GMs can add the fantasy element while being wholly based with historical underpinnings. For example, you will not not find a steel shield, because knights did not have steel shields - they were made of wood covered either in a thick gesso or hide. This is why many real knights' shields do not exist. Those that do, as you can imagine, are in horrible condition.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases