• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

Where did you first see THAC0?

Emiricol

I first saw it in about '84-'86 (somewhere in there). It was crunchy stuff included in a module by a third-party UK company (which was quickly sued by T$R and stopped making modules).

I bought the module in a bookstore in Virginia. If I remember, it had a silver cover, and all I remember of it - besides my introduction to this new thing called THAC0 - was that it involved a triangular castle. I never ran the module, but the castle and details on surrounding area made a great fief for my fighter! Had a very British flavor, naturally enough. I think the module's plot had to do with a plot to usurp power from the rightful ruler, and the PCs had to stop it (go figure!).

I wish I could remember more about the module's name and contents, but there ya go!

VorpalBunny

Villager
The AD&D 2nd Edition Player's Handbook, 1991. I was a 1st edition holdout - when I finally picked up 2nd ed., I remember looking it over and thinking it was a good idea at the time - "Oh, look. No more 'to-hit' charts! This will make things much easier!" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
In an old Polyhedron from the 1e days...

All I remember about the adventure was a red dragon casting fire shield to protect himself from cold.

Bregh

Villager
Strictly speaking, it wasn't in the acronymic, but pp. 196-214 contained charts with the stats of the monsters from the MM. Part of this chart was the notation "To Hit A.C. 0" and the relevant number.

By the mid-80s THAC0 was a common listing in the AD&D modules (cf. Book of Lairs I, II et. al., and Dungeon magazine).

Was a bit trickier to employ, because the "20" repeats six times on the OAD&D "to hit" charts before rising to 21, &c (which means a natural 20 wasn't always a hit :D ), but we use it for short-hand quite often, and have the repeating 20 sequence pretty much memmed (like you d20 folk have magic bonus types memmed WRT circumstance/competence/&c) so it ain't much of an issue.

Saeviomagy

Villager
Bregh said:
Strictly speaking, it wasn't in the acronymic, but pp. 196-214 contained charts with the stats of the monsters from the MM. Part of this chart was the notation "To Hit A.C. 0" and the relevant number.

By the mid-80s THAC0 was a common listing in the AD&D modules (cf. Book of Lairs I, II et. al., and Dungeon magazine).

Was a bit trickier to employ, because the "20" repeats six times on the OAD&D "to hit" charts before rising to 21, &c (which means a natural 20 wasn't always a hit :D ), but we use it for short-hand quite often, and have the repeating 20 sequence pretty much memmed (like you d20 folk have magic bonus types memmed WRT circumstance/competence/&c) so it ain't much of an issue.
I seem to remember that THAC0 was listed on the OD&D character sheets, along with slots just listing the numbers for all the other ACs, and you were supposed to copy out the entire line from the table. That's where I learnt it.

Actually maybe the 0 was seperated from the THAC...

JoeGKushner

The first place I remember seeing this is in Role Aids by Mayfair and then TSR started using it in Second Edition.

coyote6

Villager
I think the first time I saw it was in a module. I want to say it was a "solo module" for Basic or Expert D&D, but I'm not at all sure.

It definitely wasn't in the PH or DMG (though I seem to recall having the 1e fighter chart memorized at one point. I've spent more neurons that way . . . ).

Severion

Villager
The 1e Rogues Gallery book, can't remember many details but it did have several of the "named" spell casters plus one really cool assassin (had several rings on chains attached to his bracelets for easy donning, his pic was pure black)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Severion said:
The 1e Rogues Gallery book, can't remember many details but it did have several of the "named" spell casters plus one really cool assassin (had several rings on chains attached to his bracelets for easy donning, his pic was pure black)
Hmm. I just checked my copy, and I don't see any reference to THAC0. Great book, though.

I think the first time I saw it was in the AD&D Complete Handbook to Halflings (that's what I'm guessing that the title was, because it could have been Guidebook, etc. It was one from the series of brown books that came out). That's what I think, though. It could have been the Monstrous Manual or Complete Handbook to Thieves.
I never did like THAC0. But that's just me. I was only in AD&D for a year. The first adventure I played in, the DM told me what to write instead of telling me the meaning of each stat. Not to mention that another friend I played D&D with, he practically had every D&D book except for the Player's Handbook. We even got a copy of the character sheets package, but no Player's Handbook. I bought it finally, about a month before 3E came out. Perfect timing.
Anyways...
Sorry for rambling!

Cheers!

johnsemlak

Villager
My copy of the 1e DMG also has THAC0 numbers for all monsters in the MM, at the back, just as Bregh says.

I'm not sure, but I definitely saw reference to it in other 1e stuff, Polyhedron adventures I think. It definitely was around as a concept before 2e

Derulbaskul

Villager
enworldatemylogin said:
I remember first seeing it used as an acronym in the Dragonlance modules.
... and I think you win the prize for correctly identifying the first products to use THAC0.

Cheers
D

Advertisement