Which D&D worlds have Sci Fi Space Ships?

havard

Adventurer
I recently learned that Pathfinder's Golarion has a crashed space ship, as an homage to Expedition of Barrier Peak, which in turn probably was inspired by the City of the Gods from Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Campaign.

In addition to those there is Mystara (linked to Blackmoor) and also the setting from Tale of the Comet.

So we have the following:
Golarion
Greyhawk
Blackmoor
Mystara
Tale of the Comet

Do any other D&D worlds (or fantasy worlds) have crashed space ships in them? I'm thinking more in terms of sci fi space ships than the magical kind found in Spelljammer...

-Havard

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Athas must have had a Spelljamming connection before the apocalypse, but I've wondered what War World would have had. You can easily explain the sun going crazy with magic, but if the world had been a technical devastation instead you'd need space-something to mess it up.

SteelDraco

First Post
In my home campaign, aberrations are from a different planet on the same plane. They were essentially an invasion force that interrupted the Dawn War between the gods and the primordials. They were forced underground and undersea, but never wiped out completely.

They were more psionically flavored magitech than sci-fi, though.

Athas must have had a Spelljamming connection before the apocalypse, but I've wondered what War World would have had. You can easily explain the sun going crazy with magic, but if the world had been a technical devastation instead you'd need space-something to mess it up.

The 2e Complete Book of Elves explicitly said that Athas used to have spelljamming ties to the rest of the known spheres in antiquity, before everything went all to hell on that world and the sphere was sealed and the routes to it lost, so there is at least a little canonical information to back up that idea.

As for homebrews. . .

I played in a year-long campaign in a homebrew setting loosely based on the Pern novels by Anne McCaffrey (more like inspired by). It was a D&D setting where psionics were the most common supernatural power (and wild talents were pretty common), divine magic was almost completely unknown (aside from a small circle of NPC Druids), and arcane magic was fairly rare and secretive. It was set centuries after a disasterous crash-landing of a space colony ship on a new world, where technology had been slowly being lost for centuries and now the world was at a more-or-less Renaissance level with the occasional broken relics of technology as strange artifacts of another, poorly understood, era.

The crashed wreckage of the colony ship was a huge super-dungeon, akin to the Undermountain or Castle Greyhawk of that setting.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
There was another module (whose name escapes me at the moment!) with a crashed spaceship, IIRC. It was like Tale of the Comet, where the crashing spaceship was mistaken for a comet. Or was it just a comet? For the life of me, I can't remember.

EDIT: Figured it out. It was UK4 When a Star Falls. Guess there wasn't a spaceship after all.

Homebrew:
The first campaign I played in was originally set in a fortress that was a crashed starship. My character was from the fantasy world and stumbled upon it, discovering the wonders inside. He became part of the Alliance (why is it always an Alliance? ;) ), and landed up serving aboard an actual starship and the space station orbiting the planet.

I know a lot of people don't like sci-fi in their fantasy, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a time-honored tradition. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads