Wieldskill -- irreplaceable?

Carpe DM

First Post
So, in our campaign Wieldskill was one of the most commonly used spells. Unfortunately, nobody noticed it had been monkey-nerfed in 3.5 (yes, yes: how far behind the times could we possibly be?) so that only Initiates of Gond can use it.

Are there any spells that mimic the weapon-proficiency aspects of Wieldskill?

warmest regards,

Carpe

Azoriel

First Post
Carpe DM said:
So, in our campaign Wieldskill was one of the most commonly used spells. Unfortunately, nobody noticed it had been monkey-nerfed in 3.5 (yes, yes: how far behind the times could we possibly be?) so that only Initiates of Gond can use it.

Are there any spells that mimic the weapon-proficiency aspects of Wieldskill?

warmest regards,

Carpe

From the Spell Compendium-
Master's Touch (Bard 1, Wiz/Sor 1): give the caster proficiency with a single weapon/shield held for 1 min/level.
Heroics (Wiz/Sor 2): give a touched creature one fighter feat for 10 mins/level (can be an exotic weapon proficiency).

As a bit of a sidenote, if you can convince your DM to let one of your party's clerics convert their levels over to archivist, they'd be able cast Wieldskill just fine without converting to Gond. (Or the cleric could simply convert to Gond, but I guess that's out of the question.)

And here are the rules for the archivist base class, completely free of charge and courtesy of WotC.

Carpe DM

First Post
Argh -- Master's Touch would be perfect. Darn non-cleric spell.
Archivist would be a good option, except that the people involved are pretty far along toward tweaked builds relying on cleric (Cloistered cleric / Radiant Servant for one, and Courtier / Binder / Cloistered Cleric / Warlock for the other).

Man, that is frustrating.

cheers,

Carpe

Jhulae

First Post
Well, the "Initiate of _____" is actually an optional rule, if you read the Initiate text approximately where the feat is.

If your group doesn't want to use that rule, then the Initiate spells become general cleric spells of the same spell level.

If you actually look over the Initiate spells, some initiates get very weak spells compared to other initiates, considering it takes one of the character's feats. I don't think it was really implemented in the best manner, honestly.

Last edited:

szilard

First Post
Also, there is a magic weapon property that overcomes non-proficiency penalties. I think it is from Complete Arcane.

-Stuart

Carpe DM

First Post
Well, I took a look at the "skillful" weapon feature from Complete Arcane -- very cool indeed, but a tad expensive.

I'm mostly trying to get my "witch-hunter" style cleric to be able to use some flintlock pistols we found without taking an exotic WP. I am the primary (and only) healer of the group, and so it's not like this is a power play -- ranged attacking for a single 1d10 is not, y'know, gamebreaking. Wieldskill would have been the perfect medium -- I could wield the guns if I burned a first level spellslot.

I love D&D deeply, but this is part of what drives me nuts -- you can't actually get a concept to fit within the rules without a pile of work.

Arkhandus

First Post
Jhulae said:
Not a problem if your cleric has access to Anyspell.

Though that in itself requires they have the Spell domain, likely a follower of Azuth or similar, and the ability to cast 3rd-level spells.....

Remove ads