Xp question for WotC folks

Tortoise

First Post
In the course of play-testing how have things worked out in parties where the PCs have varied levels?

In my campaigns over the course of the years I have as DM always had parties with varied character levels. I like being able to run a game with some variance in level among the party.

How well does 4e handle this? Or has that even been tried?

malraux

First Post
Tortoise said:
In my campaigns over the course of the years I have as DM always had parties with varied character levels. I like being able to run a game with some variance in level among the party.
Not to side track the question, but any particular reason why?

marune

First Post
The basic idea of playing with character of different levels is incoherent (except maybe a -1/+1).

That doesn't mean that an RPG can't come up with a way to handle playing the LoTR main characters.

Thulcondar

First Post
skeptic said:
The basic idea of playing with character of different levels is incoherent (except maybe a -1/+1).

That doesn't mean that an RPG can't come up with a way to handle playing the LoTR main characters.

Huh? You can't have a 6th level thief and a 4th level cleric in the same party without being "incoherent"?

Joe

Tortoise

First Post
skeptic said:

To both address your comment and answer the question from the poster above about why I like DMing for a group of varied level ...

I have been playing D&D's various editions since 1980. In the earlier incarnations of the game the characters leveled at different rates frequently causing the situation.

With the advent of 3e/3.5e it can still be done, though the level gap shouldn't get much beyond the -1/+1 or it gets much tougher to balance encounters.

The main reasons I like the variance are 1> it makes me stretch my creative muscles developing encounters and the like, 2> I like giving variable experience awards to players for attendance, to encourage them to show up, and bonus awards for good role-play, nifty ideas, or just plain fun enhancing moments, 3> it also encourages players to think more about how to overcome things that can affect them differently, and 4> (this one is the incoherent part when it comes to fantasy gaming) I feel like it is a more natural state for a group to be a little mismatched, much like a sports team where not everyone performs at the same capacity. Plus 5> I think I'm just comfortable with it after all these years. :cool:

marune

First Post
Thulcondar said:
Huh? You can't have a 6th level thief and a 4th level cleric in the same party without being "incoherent"?

Joe

Would you play poker with only 4 cards or chess without your rooks at the start of the game ?

PeterWeller

First Post
Not to derail, but it seems to me that there can be better ways of encouraging players to show up than extra XP for attendance, or that if one's players ask for extra XP just for showing up, they're kind of missing the point.

Baka no Hentai

First Post
I read somewhere that the DMG will strongly suggest that all PC's be of the same level... even to the point of granting a PC full experience if they happen to miss a session.

Take that for what you will.

Remove ads