• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionics, Mythic/Epic/Divine/Cosmic etc rules

Hey all, sorry it's been a while since I posted, I'd like some help making some rules, feats etc for epic, divine etc Psionic abilities and powers. I'd also like some expanded base psionic rules for gods, etc and if they already exist maybe a link? I'm aware of the small amount of Psionic feats and abilities in the Ascension guide, it's not enough to go off of, so I've been looking on here but haven't found anything. I have a character who's a powerful Mythic Psion and he's soon going to be tangling with Divine and Epic threats and I need some counters and such so he doesn't steam roll everything. I'm going to make some rules as well, but would like to see if any of you have anything already made and take a look at them first before I get started, if I even need to. Thanks guys.

Obly99

Hero
For the mythic psionic

Some Divine Abilities I have published in the past are actually converted Mythic feats/abilities that are too broken to be available in normal games (eg. my Devasting Strike is actually a combination of Mythic Base/Improved/Greater Vital Strike revisited of the Legendary Games, while Divine Versatile Channel is a converted Mythic Versatile Channel and Vermin Monarch is a converted Mythic Vermin Heart).

For the mythic psionic

Some Divine Abilities I have published in the past are actually converted Mythic feats/abilities that are too broken to be available in normal games (eg. my Devasting Strike is actually a combination of Mythic Base/Improved/Greater Vital Strike revisited of the Legendary Games, while Divine Versatile Channel is a converted Mythic Versatile Channel and Vermin Monarch is a converted Mythic Vermin Heart).
Thank you very much Obly, I appreciate it bro. 😊

For the mythic psionic

You know what one of the issues, if not the main issue is, is that one player, a telepath, is Mythic tier 2 and has Bypass Mental Defenses the Mythic power. That seems to be a catch all, and I'm trying to find a limiting factor for it because every fight is turning into a game of Russian roulette for the enemies but because his DCs are so high its basically like the gun is entirely loaded with a single bullet removed instead of a single bullet in the gun. So I'm trying to see if there is an epic feat that allows a second saving throw, or somehow to negate the ability to some degree.

Obly99

Hero
You know what one of the issues, if not the main issue is, is that one player, a telepath, is Mythic tier 2 and has Bypass Mental Defenses the Mythic power. That seems to be a catch all, and I'm trying to find a limiting factor for it because every fight is turning into a game of Russian roulette for the enemies but because his DCs are so high its basically like the gun is entirely loaded with a single bullet removed instead of a single bullet in the gun. So I'm trying to see if there is an epic feat that allows a second saving throw, or somehow to negate the ability to some degree.
I understand the problem, I had a similar experience with a mesmerist who literally did save or suck with both the power to ignore mind-affecting immunity and Echoing Spell. Some solutions that I found that can be applied to your case:
The simplest solution, although it is not pleasant to admit it in my experience, is the pure and simple sitting at a table and talking face to face with the player telling him that his power is making it difficult for you to balance the battles.
Since mythic abilities are often so broken that they are not even comparable to epic feats but directly divine abilities (as in this case, it allows you to ignore any immunity-resistance that is not mindless), I have enough experience in modifying them to be balanced to be used both by and against players. As a quick rebalancing I would say this:

Bypass Mental Defenses (Su)
When manifesting a power or using a class feature with the mind-affecting descriptor, you can expend one use of mythic power to affect creatures immune to mind-affecting effects and ignore abilities that apply their benefit only against mind-affecting effects, such as barred mind. Mythic creatures whose immunity you have ignored in this way add their own mythic rank/tier or their Charisma modifier (whichever is higher) as a bonus on their Will save against your mind-affecting. Mythic creatures with a rank/tier higher than your own cannot have their immunity ignored with this ability.

Mythic creatures add their Charisma to the roll (or if they're as charismatic as rocks, like constructs or vermins, their rank) and if they are more powerful it does not overcome it. As a trade off for the nerf it can now affect mindless creature.

Last edited:

Obly99

Hero
Let's remember that being an open system everyone can write skills, but precisely for this reason anyone can write the worst things. Bypass Mental Defenses base is broken, just like Mythic Vital Strike base which, by RAW, makes you multiply the fixed by the improved number of dice you roll: you have a weapon that rolls 4d6 by default and with the Greater Vital Strike you roll 16d6?, it's absolutely fair and balanced multiply your fixed x16 and do it twice per round with Amazing Initiative :p.

Let's remember that being an open system everyone can write skills, but precisely for this reason anyone can write the worst things. Bypass Mental Defenses base is broken, just like Mythic Vital Strike base which, by RAW, makes you multiply the fixed by the improved number of dice you roll: you have a weapon that rolls 4d6 by default and with the Greater Vital Strike you roll 16d6?, it's absolutely fair and balanced multiply your fixed x16 and do it twice per round with Amazing Initiative :p.
Holy shiit man, that's wild. Yeah Bypass Mental Defenses is really op. You've given me a lot to think about, I appreciate it bro.

Remove ads