• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell Me About DC20

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
To me that overinflates the savings however, as I consider beta access a perk with $0 value since that is how any other KS I have seen treats it. Pretty sure the DungeonCoach will sell beta access however, he has already done so, and therefore assigns a $15 or $20 value to it here that bumps up the savings. I see no other way to get to $40 in savings

EDIT: many KS have no savings at that level or maybe $5 compared to the later price of the book (or addon that was unlocked during the KS), so I am not knocking the Coach for having too small savings, I am only wondering how he arrived at that $40 value.
I was figuring that both of the supplements were "Valued" at $20.

mamba

Legend
I was figuring that both of the supplements were "Valued" at $20.
I think that is too high, my combined $15 is basically $10 for the monster starter pack and $5 for the 5e conversion guide or $15 and $0 respectively.

If we leave beta access at $0, the book price increase at $10 then the two PDFs can be $15 each in the end, which is in line with three of the addon PDFs of the KS. So that might be how they arrived at $40.

Hard to say how much either PDF should be as we have zero info about content / page count. The closest thing to go by are the other smaller (lower priced) books at $15 and the monster book at $25 vs the monster starter pack at unknown price - and I sure hope the two do not overlap

Anon Adderlan

Adventurer
It's a perfectly cromulent D&D heartbreaker which applies all the most obvious fixes to the unnecessary cruft that line is known for, yet still holds on to double digit math with the d20, negative numbers for modifiers, and unnecessary additions involving modifiers which are the same for every character. If I were still playing such games this would be the one I picked, but I've long moved on to games which better meet my needs.

The logo also features a fire breathing dragon head similar enough to the one in the D&D logo that I could see a trademark case being made.

the best thing WotC did for the hobby was threaten to take away the OGL because it kickstarted this mass of creativity.
Just like last time.

the RPG business seems to be currently growing so its likely those leaving WotC are being replaced by newer players to the hobby.
It isn't growing, it's becoming more divided.

Last edited:

There's a difference between capitalism and Capitalism.

I scroll through this KS, and what stands out to me isn't the kind of game they're trying to make. What stands out to me is how many ways they're trying to sell it to me and how much they're willing to let me pay for it.

If it doesn't bother anyone else that's fine. To me it feels like I'm being hustled.
Yeah man, when you're trying to start a business, you have to do sales tactics because that's what works. I'm not sure what you're upset about.

Elvish Lore

Explorer
Bob Worldbuilder is seemingly one of the few YT channels that admitted that Dungeon Coach was sponsoring them via an affiliate link to the DC20 Kickstarter. As far as I can tell, the referring YT channel can earn money according to 3 metrics:
  1. Click-Through Rate (CTR): The percentage of viewers who click on the affiliate link.
  2. Conversion Rate: The percentage of those clicks that result in a pledge.
  3. Average Pledge Amount: The average amount pledged by backers.
I mention this only because a ton of folks on here seem to be suggesting it was simply these content creators just loving DC20 for its great design that resulted in them endorsing the game. Of course, it might have been that. But also, the motivation might have been money.

I just wish the content creators had said this. And kudos to Bob Worldbuilder for revealing that at the top of his video.

Last edited:

Bob Worldbuilder is seemingly the only YT channel that admitted that Dungeon Coach was sponsoring them via an affiliate link to the DC20 Kickstarter. As far as I can tell, the referring YT channel can earn money according to 3 metrics:
  1. Click-Through Rate (CTR): The percentage of viewers who click on the affiliate link.
  2. Conversion Rate: The percentage of those clicks that result in a pledge.
  3. Average Pledge Amount: The average amount pledged by backers.
I mention this only because a ton of folks on here seem to be suggesting it was simply these content creators just loving DC20 for its great design that resulted in them endorsing the game. Of course, it might have been that. But also, the motivation might have been money.

I just wish the content creators had said this. And kudos to Bob Worldbuilder for revealing that at the top of his video.
Treantmonk was also pretty open about this, but he also did seem really big on it when he tried it out months ago when he presumably wasn't being paid in any way, so I think he is legit excited about it even if he is also giving out an affiliate link.

Elvish Lore

Explorer
Treantmonk was also pretty open about this, but he also did seem really big on it when he tried it out months ago when he presumably wasn't being paid in any way, so I think he is legit excited about it even if he is also giving out an affiliate link.

I saw that he had been positive on the game from months ago - I recall the video.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In fact IMO the best thing WotC did for the hobby was threaten to take away the OGL because it kickstarted this mass of creativity.
I'd argue it really didn't.

Many of the big ideas in these new RPGs are ideas from other well known RPGs or popular ideas in the D&D zeitgeist of homebrew.

What WOTC did is encourage people to make Fantasy TTRPGs based on these ideas.

So really it will become a game of "which 2-3 house rules are good enough to build a long lasting game around."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads