• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bigger monsters do more damage

dave2008

Legend
Responding to the general vibe in this thread that's talking about MCDM, which in turn leads to the core topic of this thread because mechanics like those discussed in the OP and posited by me further up thread lead to naturally more complicated monsters.
I am the OP and involved in most of the discussion here. The topic is on big monsters doing more damage (because they are big), not MCDM. There has been some discussion of provideing control effects (like pushes) and area effects (like tail sweeps), but that is hardly an MCDM thing. I was doing that (on these forums) before I even knew who MCMD was! Well I guess since 4e really.

I have no issue with more complexity (to a certain degree), but I have a fondness for simple smashing at times too!

And can't forget, Death Explosion: when dies explodes in a 60ft radius, DC 18 CON or be restrained until cleaned off. Can be cleaned by fire or being eaten.

Using the Balor as an example the Death Throes blast radius is roughly equal to the monsters height rounded up. In this case 112.5 ft. rounded up to 120 let's say. Works out at DC 24 CON save...maybe reducing by 1 each subsequent round.

Remove ads