Million Dollar TTRPG Kickstarters

tor.jpg

Recently, The One Ring 2nd Edition joined an exclusive club -- Kickstarters for tabletop roleplaying game products which have broken the $1M barrier!

This list comprises Kickstarters specifically for tabletop roleplaying games or supplements which have exceeded $1M. It does not include Kickstarters for miniatures, software, dice, or other accessories.

The first TTRPG Kickstarter to break $1M was 7th Sea: Second Edition by John Wick. The first to break $2M was Strongholds & Streaming by Matt Colville.

In the 12 years since Kickstarter's creation in 2009 until the start of 2021, 4 TTRPG projects beat the $1M mark. In the two months since March 2021, until the time of writing in May 2021, a further 5 projects have done so.

$1M+ TTRPG Kickstarters

KickstarterCreatorDate EndedBackersAmount
Strongholds & StreamingMatt ColvilleMarch 201828,918$2,121,465
The One Ring Roleplaying Game, Second EditionFree LeagueMarch 202116,591$2,025,288
The Seeker's Guide to Twisted TavernsEldermancyMarch 202117.921$1,650,076
Kingdoms, Warfare & More Minis!Matt ColvilleNovember 201919,033$1,372,685
Grim Hollow: The Monster GrimoireGhostfire GamingMay 202115,530$1,348,160
7th Sea: Second EditionJohn WickMarch 201611,483$1,316,813
Auroborous: Coils of the SerpentWarchief GamingMay 202110,218$1,260,863
Coyote & Crow the Roleplaying GameConnor AlexanderApril 202116,269$1,073,453
Humblewood Campaign Setting for 5eHit Point PressApril 201914,604$1,001,085

1m_ks_cumul.png

Last edited:

Russ Morrissey

Russ Morrissey

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
TOR ends today and Twisted Taverns in a couple of days. Twisted Taverns is currently at $1.4 and TOR just under $2M.

Ulfgeir

Adventurer
Well, from that table, it appears that running a kickstarter (that ends) in March is the way to go if you want it to be very succesful. The data-set though are a bit small... ;)

That actually leads to a serious question; when is the best time to run a kickstarter if you want it to succeed?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Well, from that table, it appears that running a kickstarter (that ends) in March is the way to go if you want it to be very succesful. The data-set though are a bit small... ;)

That actually leads to a serious question; when is the best time to run a kickstarter if you want it to succeed?
All that sweet tax return money that a lot of people get in around this time of year lol

I wouldn't be very surprised if Hit Point Press agrees a partnership with Hasbro to sell toys of Humblewood, and produce a family-friendly cartoon.

darjr

I crit!
ah! here is the thread I was looking for.

Egad there is so very much history buried in the threads and ENWorld. someone really should do something about indexing them? Maybe?

darjr

I crit!
This was just before 4e launched. Which, compared to the dire feeling of dread at the time, was like a huge shot in the arm, maybe it's initial pop was an illusion of success, like a fake kind of relief from tension that isn't true.

Ghal Maraz

Explorer
I think that the The One Ring campaign is gonna be a turning point.
While LotR is the hugest name worldwide in fantasy, it's also never been so much of a rpg hit. This KS has been the second rpg-related campaign to breach the 2M mark and it has done so without: 5e, streaming, and lotsa merchandise. It's been pure rpg material (even the cloth maps are rpg-related) and just for three products, not a whole line as for 7th Sea second edition.

Eilathen

Explorer
Sometimes i really can't make head or tails with rpg KS... . I get that a rpg based on the father of all fantasy worlds is going to be successful, but Colville's stuff? It's 5e, ok...but still, 2.1 Mio $? Why? I don't get it. I think that dude is seriously overrated * shrugs *

And that tavern thingy?! Uhm...ok. Just weird. I guess I'm definitely no longer "in touch" with what is hip in ttrpg. I just don't need stuff like that...at all.

It will be interesting to see if the Middle-Earth version of 5e can break the ToR amount. I guess it being Middle-Earth AND the most well known rulesset in ttrpg will make that very probable. Especially in this day and age where, mostly thanks to streaming, ttrpgs and especially DnD is as popular as it has ever been...

Visit Our Sponsor

Latest threads

An Advertisement

Advertisement4