• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading in 2024?

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Is my memory correct that those Dispatcher stories are only available as ebooks? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen them on the library shelves, at least.
I think they were audio books first, so they might be available as audio books at the library. Zachary Quinto was the reader, IIRC.

Clint_L

Legend
I finished Holly by Stephen King this evening. At this point, King is King. This is minor King, but it's enjoyable. There are places where his ear for dialogue lets him down particularly badly, but there are also parts of the book that I would have been happy to linger in indefinitely (the Olivia Kingsbury chapters are joyful). I also had a sense that he was playing with an idea more than he usually does — or perhaps was more successful from a craft standpoint than he usually is? Anyhow, I was a bit bummed when the book ended. I would've been happy to spend more time with Holly.
I've enjoyed that character, but have yet to read that one. I'll add it to the list on your recommendation. If I don't like it, it's your fault!

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Is my memory correct that those Dispatcher stories are only available as ebooks? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen them on the library shelves, at least.

I think they were audio books first, so they might be available as audio books at the library. Zachary Quinto was the reader, IIRC.
Old Fezziwig is right all around.

Richards

Legend
I finished Holly by Stephen King this evening. At this point, King is King. This is minor King, but it's enjoyable. There are places where his ear for dialogue lets him down particularly badly, but there are also parts of the book that I would have been happy to linger in indefinitely (the Olivia Kingsbury chapters are joyful). I also had a sense that he was playing with an idea more than he usually does — or perhaps was more successful from a craft standpoint than he usually is? Anyhow, I was a bit bummed when the book ended. I would've been happy to spend more time with Holly.
I love that character and have just been waiting for Holly to come out in paperback.

Johnathan

Richards

Legend
I'm now reading a Destroyer title I picked up online: #94 - Feeding Frenzy, by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. It's apparently about edible bugs being put on the market, and causing a bunch of deaths - kind of topical since the media's been running a lot of "bugs are actually good for you" stories again in an attempt to get us Americans over the idea that bugs are not food. In any case, I figured some light reading about America's secret assassin and the North Korean Master of Sinanju who's trained him to be the (second) deadliest man in the world would be a nice filler between the "kids turning into monsters" book I just finished and the three-part "hivemind spider apocalypse" series I'll be starting immediately afterward.

Johnathan

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'm now reading a Destroyer title I picked up online: #94 - Feeding Frenzy, by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. It's apparently about edible bugs being put on the market, and causing a bunch of deaths - kind of topical since the media's been running a lot of "bugs are actually good for you" stories again in an attempt to get us Americans over the idea that bugs are not food. In any case, I figured some light reading about America's secret assassin and the North Korean Master of Sinanju who's trained him to be the (second) deadliest man in the world would be a nice filler between the "kids turning into monsters" book I just finished and the three-part "hivemind spider apocalypse" series I'll be starting immediately afterward.

Johnathan
There was a stretch when the primary ghostwriter for that series was dropping all sorts of Lovecraftian Easter eggs into the novels. I adapted a few of them as audio drama, and they were more entertaining than most of the other novels I adapted (if occasionally kinda problematic).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads