• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which table concerns do you consider the most significant?

Which table concerns do you consider the most significant?

• Conflict due to player personalities/behaviors

Votes: 50 73.5%
  • Conflict due to player psychological/medical issues

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Conflict due to variance in player ages

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conflict due to variance in player experience

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Conflict due to variance in time allotment for each player’s turn

• Conflict in playstyles/preferences

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Difficulty obtaining players

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Disinterest at the table

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Disinterest in system/rules/character abilities

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Disinterest in the hobby

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Disinterest in the setting/scenario

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Dispute over “realism” vs. “story” emphasis

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Dispute over combat emphasis

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Dispute over exploration emphasis

• Dispute over GM rulings/authority

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Dispute over GM/referee existence

• Dispute over narrative direction/control

• Dispute over player agency

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Dispute over roleplaying emphasis

• Dispute over rule interpretation

• Dispute over setting selected

• Dispute over system selected

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Game is ancillary to socializing

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Lack of downtime/relaxation for non-game activities/socializing

• Medium not conducive to play (in-person, virtual tabletop, game location)

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Outside/real world/personal issues/conflicts carried into the game

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Player attrition (school, medical, jobs, moving)

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Scheduling/availability issues

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • Surplus of players

• System fatigue

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Other (describe below)

• Player distractions (cell phones, tablets, game devices)

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • GM burnout

Votes: 11 16.2%

My main concern is scheduling - or rather, players' lack of commitment to attending regularly. We have one or two players who appear to ditch, often the day of or before our bi-weekly scheduled session. I think they're often either tired from lack of sleep discipline or they want to stay home and play videogames.

I can't really say much. Our group consists of me, my son and daughter, and my son's two friends. The attendance issue is with the two friends. Despite my frustrations with their lack of commitment, our game is very important to me because it helps me to stay connected with my son, with whom that can be a challenge.

They're all in their late 20s and I'm the old guy in my 50s. I sometimes feel like their generation has grown up with a diminished sense of commitment in general. (I know I sound old when I say this!)

When one of the friends can't make a session, we either play without him or, if we're expecting a particularly important or climactic session, we reschedule.

As I said to my daughter a while back when I was feiping about it, it's frustrating to know that people have significantly lower levels of commitment to an activity you share with them.

BTW I'm eager for any solutions here.
Are you the GM?

Thomas Shey

Legend
One I don't think quite fits any of yours is player perception of failures in GM judgment. This can lead to issues with GM authority, but the authority per se is not the issue, though it can compound it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I’ve seen almost all of these break groups apart, temporarily and also for good. But I’ve seen groups survive almost all of these, too. It’s not about the topic of the problem, it’s about how the people involved solve problems, or don’t.

I don't disagree with your general point, but I think some of those can be more intractable than others.

GrimCo

Adventurer

Conflict due to player personalities/behaviors

Some people just don't mesh well. You put them in the same room and you can watch by body language they don't like each other without saying a word. I don't like and need drama when i'm spending time on hobby that should be relaxing. I strongly prefer to play with group of people who are genuinely friendly to each other and enjoy each other's company. If you can't play nice with others, you can't play at my table.

Conflict in playstyles/preferences

Different people have different playstyles, and not all playstyles are mutually compatible with each other. If there are people with diametral opposite play styles at same table, what is fun for some will be unfun for others.

Dispute over GM rulings/authority

I really hate mid game discussions about rulings as a DM. If you have a problem with ruling, address it after session, be it in front of group or in private. We can have a chat as adults, but don't waste game time on it.

Outside/real world/personal issues/conflicts carried into the game

This one is extension of first one. If players have some problems with each other (had that in a past), they can leave it at the door or they can just turn around and leave. Handle it outside of game or don't play at the same game, i don't care. On the other hand, there was times when game sessions were spent as group therapy or group support meetings. It's okay. I play with close friends. Game time is primarily about us as a friends hanging out. If someone has problem or some personal issue and wants to talk, hash out ideas, needs fresh perspective on problems, sure. Session spent on helping friend is not waste of time.

Belen

Adventurer
Conflicts in player personalities, play styles and real-life intrusions would be my top three, too.
This.

I have a few tables rules. The game is PG-13. No evil player characters. The players have to make characters that will work with a team. No politics.

I often have players that run the gamut on the political side and they can leave those arguments at the door. People could debate and agree to disagree 20 years ago but it is too cutthroat now.

Belen

Adventurer
Surprised this one "Outside/real world/personal issues/conflicts carried into the game" is so high, don't you folks play with friends?
Yes and I have friends that have wildly different worldviews and different beliefs.

I used to see half the game day taken up by debates over politics etc. People were still friends and shared the common geek bond but it is never fun to sit there while people argue.

I imagine that it is much worse now.

Last edited:

I work very hard to vet new players coming in.

Most of the problems on the list involve expectations, and IMO/IME, managing expectations is perhaps the most important role of the GM.

New players should understand what is expected of them by the group in order to justify their presence.

Thankfully, there is such a plethora of gamers available when gaming on line, this is not problem.

Remove ads