How to place a spell area on a grid?

Wolfix

First Post
I'm looking to find out how to place a 10-ft.-radius spherical emanation (Globe of Invulnerability) on a grid. The spell description states that it is centered on the caster, but I'm not sure how that works on the grid.

I can see a couple of options:
1) Caster chooses an adjacent grid intersection to place the center, like:
OXXO
XCXX
XXXX
OXXO
2) Really centered on caster, method 1:
OXXXO
XXXXX
XXCXX
XXXXX
OXXXO
3) Really centered on caster, method 2:
XXXXX
XXXXX
XXCXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
4) ?

(X = spell area, O = unaffected area, C = caster)

So what is the correct (according to the rules) way?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I've always played it as #2. But I seem to remember reading somewhere on these boards that there's a rule somewhere, that all spells target grid intersections in 3.5, RAW...

Jeff Wilder

First Post
So far as I know, all areas of effects are centered on grid intersections. (There are seeming exceptions, like a spell that makes the caster's body radiate fire, burning characters within 5 feet, or whatever, but these aren't really area of effect spells.)

The caster chooses which corner of his square is the center of the area.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
That's the way I'd do it as well.

There's also the option of letting the caster choose the square and then randomly determining which corner to use - but that works better for distance spells (like fireball).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I'd do it as per the grid in the back of the DMG, describing 10-foot reach. Which would be option 3.

Does anyone else have a rules reference?

Marimmar@Home

First Post
SRD said:
Area: Some spells affect an area. [...] The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection.

This, in combination with the spell area examples is why I think it is handled this way.

As per DMG:
Code:
     XX
XX  XXXX
XX  XXXX
     XX

5'   10'

~Marimmar

Staffan

Legend
I would have it cover something like this:
Code:
  X
 XXX
XXCXX
 XXX
  X
I wouldn't use the normal grid intersection stuff since the spell moves with the caster. Had the spell been immobile, like prismatic sphere, I would have had the caster center it on an intersection, but not when it moves with him.

Thanee

First Post
They really should have based all areas on the center of a square or even a whole square not a stupid grid intersection. :D

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads