Essential Adventuring Equipment

Cedric

First Post
The 10ft pole thread got me thinking...what 'essential adventuring equipment' do people make certain they have with them?

Now, while you can obviously list certain magic items, but I was aiming more towards mundane (and maybe sometimes exotic) items that you may or may not have a specific use for, but want to make sure you have with you.

Also, just for manageability, try to list between 1 -3 so we don't get deluged with giant copy/pastes of item lists.

The more unique or interesting the better....

1. Small belt pouch full of fine, white sand.

2. Small, wax-sealed tub of grease in an oilcloth bag.

3. 50' of hemp twine.

What are yours?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
- 50' strong light rope
- mirror
- telescope (if available)
- several canvas sacks (a.k.a. body bags)
- several rocks with Continual Light cast on them, in different colours if possible

Lanefan

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
Well (when I actually get a chance to play) there's a few must-haves.

Straight outta the PHB:

Chalk (marking "I was here", among other things)

Fishook (aside from the obvious use, there are a million and one things a crafty adventurer can do with this, plus they're cheap as free and weigh nothing)

A Sack (again, a million and one random uses for this, most of which you'll think of when you don't have one)

Edit: In my game, one player came up with a good one: He has a huge floppy hat (think Vampire Hunter D), with a little leather loop sewn into the peak, sized to fit a sunrod. He just snaps the ends off, sticks them in the hat, and voila - hands-free light source.

The other guys have become obsessed with continual flame items. Everything should be continual flame'd. Continual flame headbands. Continual flame weapons. The dwarf is adamant that he wants a continual flame bedroll. (Remember, no heat, just light. He's decided that creatures won't want to attack the dwarf who's fast asleep, apparently on fire.)

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Backpack.

And I want to kick the habit. Nothing should be essential. Backpacks are for hikers, not fantasy warriors and wizards.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
From my current character

A pry bar - Some doors you just want open, but wont.
A hammer and some nails - Some doors you just want to make sure stay closed.
Chalk - If all else fails, you can tag up the place with graffitti.
A small shovel - To clean up after myself and hide the evidence.

END COMMUNICATION

Remove ads