• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 1e Bard as 3e prestige class?

Wolf72

Explorer
recap

lets get the req's down for a 1e bard first ... (some of us don't have their 1e PHB with them ...)

dual class fighter/thief. (or multi class 1/2 elf fighter/thief?)

lvl minimums: 5/7 (??) then basically joined a druidic circle and learned druid spells.

(wow, iirc it seems like a prestige class)

Daedalus

Explorer
I've been trying to remember what the pre-reqs for the 1e bard were...

I *think* it was fighter 7/thief 6 or a multiclassed half elf.

I don't really think the bard would have sneak attack, except for the levels in rogue it would need.

I think the 1e bard could cast as a druid up to a max of 12th lvl (so probably pared down to 10)...

That's about all I have so far :)

Wolf72

Explorer
ability requirements! ... but that was because of dual classing.

sorry, just wanted to add in something else :)

dude, you are burning brain cells that I haven't used for several years.

I at least remember they were in the back of the book, somewhere around psionics ...

sepulchrave

First Post
It was Ftr5 then Thf5, definitely, as a minimum requirement, although either class could be taken as high as 7th. Human or Half-Elf only.

Based on this, prereqs might be something like

BAB +8
Perform (8 Ranks)
Use Magic Device (8 Ranks)
Wilderness Lore (4 Ranks)

The BAB matches a multiclassed Ftr/Rog 5/5. Perform and Use Magic Device are both Rogue class skills, and presumably an aspiring character would sink enough skill points into Wilderness Lore (cc) and Perform for it to be worth his while. UMD is exclusive and feels better than sneak attack as a prereq. Ranger then Rogue would have an easier time with wilderness lore - maybe it's a more suitable combination anyway.

Last edited:

Daedalus

Explorer
Yeah they were in the back of the book...I can almost picture the exact page! I always wanted to play one, I remember that much :)

As far as requirements, 5/5 fighter/rogue or ever 6/5 would be good so yeah a +8 BAB

I think each rank in perform gives you access to a different type of skill ie dance, sing etc. The bard would probably have several ranks in the following types of performaces: singing, dancing, oratory, poetry and maybe some others. Plus some ranks in knowledge/history and arcana maybe.

Any thoughts?

:)

Wolf72

Explorer
you might as well as throw in the bardic knowledge too. IIRC the 1e bard definitely had that ability.

perform: oratory is a good one.

what about spell list? (a combo of druid/bard spells)

what's their purpose though? ... maybe a specialized arm of druid circles? ... or a prestige class that replaces the standard bard class in 3e? (do this and one for paladin that would be pretty cool)

memories! ... my friend had a bard. fighter/thief/bard 6/7/5 ... a very cool character.

Daedalus

Explorer
>you might as well as throw in the bardic knowledge too. IIRC >the 1e bard definitely had that ability.

I was thinking that could be a class ability much like the standard 3e bard has currently

>perform: oratory is a good one.

Thanks! I thought it would be appropriate for them

>what about spell list? (a combo of druid/bard spells)

My 1e rules are a bit shakey, but I think bards cast as a druid of equivalent level up to level 12, so 10 in this case. I guess I would keep that mechanic but not give any bonus spells (don't want to take anything away from the actual druid class)

I was thinking that in order to reflect their jack-of-all-tradeness, give them skill emphasis like wanderers in WoT or scoundrels in Star Wars.

>what's their purpose though? ... maybe a specialized arm of >druid circles? ... or a prestige class that replaces the standard >bard class in 3e? (do this and one for paladin that would be >pretty cool)

I don't know much about historical bards, but if I remember right there were druids, ovates and bards and each had different colored dress and served different functions basically for the same religion. I think =)

I wouldn't want to replace the standard 3e bard, maybe rename it to troubador (sp) or something, and keep the bard as a prestige class...

Impeesa

Explorer
Hm... I haven't looked at a 1E book in a while, but I could swear they cast as wizards and had that as one of the required classes...

--Impeesa--

Remove ads