Watch This Video About SWORD COAST LEGENDS Campaign Creation

These two videos comprise a two-part extended look at the campaign creation and DM tools in the upcoming Sword Coast Legends video game. The first is 12 minutes long, and the second is about 15 minutes of a DM and four players going through a dungeon in real time. This is the same stuff that was shown at E3 (more info on that here).

These two videos comprise a two-part extended look at the campaign creation and DM tools in the upcoming Sword Coast Legends video game. The first is 12 minutes long, and the second is about 15 minutes of a DM and four players going through a dungeon in real time. This is the same stuff that was shown at E3 (more info on that here).

[video=youtube;6nfQ3wa9iBc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nfQ3wa9iBc[/video]

[video=youtube;1PUbc3ofBgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PUbc3ofBgY[/video]

neobolts

Explorer
I did a recap of today's Q&A session with the devs about these videos.
The Q&A video is here: http://www.twitch.tv/swordcoastlegends/v/6852516
My full recap is here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?464153-Sword-Coast-Legends-DM-Tools-Twitch-Event-Recap

You don't draw the town/dungeon maps. But they are promising a huge library of blank maps and parameter-based map generator. In tabletop terms, I'd say it's akin to being given every D&D module grid map ever and free reign over what you place on them.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Pre-generated but empty maps/towns is a nice time saver and a great option. Lacking the ability to create, from scratch, custom maps/towns is a blunder of significant size. I hope they either add that ability later, or allow this game easy and open modding (a la Skyrim) so the modding community can fill that rather enormous void.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What I would ideally like is a persistent-style location which allows many players. I'd use it as a sort of EN World tavern/hangout. Maybe slowly turn it into a little village that folks could hang out at, and add little fun quests they could do. Anybody could dip in and out whenever they liked, as it'd be on a persistent server.

That's a lot beyond these tools, I think, but maybe later? NWN was used for that sort of thing quite a lot.

It's unfortunate really. I don't feel the game will last long after selling a few immutable areas and a few popular race/classes/monsters. There were some fantastic modules for NWN, very well done, people poured their souls into that game. Creators are not gonna pour their souls into a game where all the towns, forests, and dungeon areas are largely identical regardless of effort applied. Not to mention, their implementation of the 5E ruleset has Cooldowns and Spare the Dying as an At Will ability for everyone already. In fact, I'm becoming more and more curious of what they're trying to sell me, really.

As I understood it, it was never intended to use 5e anyway. It is just a video game using D&D IP. Which is sad, as it seems to be the route they are taking in general. I think NWN 2 was the last game they made that actually attempted to translate the RPG rules to a video game.

So the question is...are they making comparatively more money on these 'not exactly D&D' games as they made on all of those 'D&D translation' games (Infinity Engine, Gold Box, and all the odds and ends over the years)?

Part of me thinks they are missing out by not using actual translations anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeshinX

Adventurer
It's unfortunate really. I don't feel the game will last long after selling a few immutable areas and a few popular race/classes/monsters. There were some fantastic modules for NWN, very well done, people poured their souls into that game. Creators are not gonna pour their souls into a game where all the towns, forests, and dungeon areas are largely identical regardless of effort applied. Not to mention, their implementation of the 5E ruleset has Cooldowns and Spare the Dying as an At Will ability for everyone already. In fact, I'm becoming more and more curious of what they're trying to sell me, really.

I think it would be more accurate to call it Dungeons & Dragon Age. Dragon Age with a Forgotten Realms skin and names really.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Interesting to see the opinions on the game based on what we've seen. I'm still firmly in the "really looking forward to this game" but as we've seen, others aren't. I'll let those people know once it comes out how awesome it is! :)

Remove ads

Remove ads