Monsters & Magic: This Ain’t Your Grandad’s D&D Game!

Mindjammer's new OSR game is a fresh take on old-school gaming, allowing you to import materials from older game systems.

Mindjammer's new OSR game is a fresh take on old-school gaming, allowing you to import materials from older game systems.

It seems I’ve been reviewing a considerable number of OSR games these days, and it’s exciting to see how the wheel can be reinvented in so many unique ways. What started as a barely noticeable response to the advent of D&D 4e and the schism which became Pathfinder, OSR gaming has blossomed into a full on movement, a Renaissance of fantasy role-playing, and an open invitation for small press and indie publishers to make games for a new audience – young modern gamers reveling in the gaming experiences of a previous generation.

Is it any wonder that WotC has all but abandoned 4E for a new system that gets back to the “roots of Dungeons & Dragons”?

Mindjammer Press Limited
has recently released its own offering to OSR fans in the form of Monsters & Magic by Sarah Newton. Conceived a mere six months ago, Monsters & Magic came together from the concepts the author had about modern gaming, and applied them to the foundation of Advance Dungeons & Dragons. Playtested and ready-for-download, how does this new take on OSR gaming stack up, and what does it offer that other games of the genre do not?

Monsters & Magic

• Author: Sarah Newton
  • Illustrations: Jason Juta (cover); Jennell Jaquays, Linda Jones, Eric Lofgren, Bradley McDevitt, Gillian Pearce (interior); Rich LeDuc (cartography)
  • Publisher: Mindjammer Press Ltd.
  • Year: 2013
  • Media: PDF (144 pages)
  • Price: $9.99 (available from RPGNOW)

Monsters & Magic
is a OSR (Old School Renaissance) game based upon the early editions of Dungeons & Dragons, but with the addition of many modern game mechanics. The game comes complete with rules for creating characters, including races, classes, spells, gear, and other pertinent information. For Game Masters, the Monsters & Magic core rulebook contains information on running the game, handling combats and conflicts, as well as a monster manual with many classic FRPG creatures. There Is also an introductory adventure, Silvermoon, designed for 4-5 players with starting characters.

Production Quality

The production quality of Monsters & Magic is very good, with an excellent layout, and written in a very user-friendly style. While the author presumes that readers have some familiarity with older edition fantasy role-playing games, the core rules are still quite accessible to players new to roleplaying games.

The information in the PDF is logically presented, and the author provides considerable access to the material. In addition to a simple table of contents, the PDF has copious bookmarks in place for easy navigation. And the author goes even further by including a well-appointed index, along with an index of important tables. Finally, there are pages of appendices displaying a rules summary, blank character sheet, and a reprint of many important tables such as character traits and other information. Clearly, the author took a cue from the Great Old Ones who brought forth AD&D, and made sure that important information was readily at the gamers’ fingertips.

And in keeping with that “old edition” style, the artwork is utterly evocative of the simple line drawings and sketch work of old AD&D sourcebooks. I loved the clean lines and inking styles I fondly remembered from when I first flipped through the pages of those old TSR hardcovers… so long ago. I also found the cover art to be really excellent, even if it was a bit over-the-top when it turns out to be a depiction of powerful heroes facing down a lich riding on the back of a balor! I think it fits well with the tradition of older edition book covers depicting frightening tableaus and battle scenes, and overall, it makes for one truly memorable image to start a new game system!

Kinda like AD&D… on Nitro!

It is obvious from the outset that the author of Monsters & Magic is a true die-hard fan of old AD&D. Much of the game is built on the framework of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, but has had some major design changes and additions, creating a blend of OSR and modern role-playing game mechanics mixed together. In the Forward of Monsters & Magic, the author attests to her fandom of game systems such as FATE and HeroQuest, and elements of those systems definitely reveal themselves in the game from time to time.

In the Introduction section, the author talks about her goals for the game, of creating a system that could accept old content – characters, modules, sourcebooks - while adding some new “cutting edge RPG concepts”. One of the most dynamic parts of the new concepts added into Monsters & Magic is the Effect Engine, which provides not only a measurement of the success or failure of an action, but tangible benefits such as bonuses and penalties. One can gain positive effect points by exceeding a target number, while negative points come from the degree by which a target number is missed, and that causes consequences. The addition of a mental hit point pool (in addition to physical hit points) allow for social and psychic conflicts to be resolved in a way similar to physical and spell combats. All of these features are highly narrative in nature, freeing players and GMs to describe their activities in detail, while providing a game mechanic to handle the outcome.

Character Creation
is the first order of business in Monsters & Magic, and this section provides all the necessary information on races, classes, sub-classes, and traits needed to develop a new fantasy persona. Much of the content here will be familiar to anyone who has played AD&D, with the attributes, races, alignments (yes, there are 9), and classes of that earlier FRPG. However, only the basic forms are there, as the character creation mechanics have been adapted to the new streamlined and modernized rules of Monsters & Magic. So while classes and sub-classes include Cleric, Druid, Monk, Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Magic-User, Illusionist, Thief, Assassin, and Bard, the class abilities have been replaced with a new trait system which is more narrative in format and less bogged down in rules. I should note here that the Bard is more like the 2nd and 3rd Edition D&D Bard, and not the pile-of-powers that the old Bard used to be.

Because of this, old D&D characters, as well as characters from other FRPGs, can be “ported” into the Monsters & Magic system fairly easily, and the author provides tips on just how to do that. I tried the conversion with one of oldest AD&D characters (I had to dig Zargon out of storage), and the outcome was pretty consistent with his original format.

Another feature I liked throughout this section, and into the rest of the core rules, is how the author used boxed text to highlight design notes and explanation of special features or terms. There is also a running discussion of the character creation and game mechanics utilizing two characters, Xiola the Elven Sorceress and Gramfive the Human Fighter, giving meta information on how they came about through decisions made by a player.

Characters and monsters have traits, and it is the trait system which helps to streamline the sometimes ponderous mechanics of old edition games. There are racial, cultural, background, class and personal traits, and they can be applied as bonuses to various action and conflict rolls during play. A trait provides a bonus is equal to the character’s level s long as it applies to the situation, with additional adding +1 per trait. Traits take the form of a simple phrase or sentence, and range from loosely descriptive such as “Highly Adaptable” to very specific like “Trusted retainer of the King”. Traits are highly customizable and appear to be designed to emphasize the story-telling elements of one’s character and game play in general. The author encourages players to modify the wording of a trait to personalize it to one’s character, again, enhancing the story-telling element while retaining the game mechanic. So for instance, many of the class traits are what you would expect them to be: a Cleric has Turn Undead, Religious Lore, and Clerical Magic. But they can also select from a pool of Clerical Advancement traits such as Perform Ceremonies and Stalwart Defense. Characters end up with quite a list of them to begin play, and more are added as they advance in level.

After character creation is complete, a hero needs gear, and there is an entire chapter devoted to Equipment. The OSR emphasis on encumbrance has been retained, and much of the gear one would expect in an FRPG is here for sale. But one very cool new type of equipment focuses on the social conflict element of the game, providing gear such as a skull helm to terrify lower level opponents, or ostentatious clothes to resist being intimidated by guards or snooty servitors. Each of these provides a damage bonus or dice when engaged in social conflicts to impress, terrify, or convince opponents.

The next section in Monsters & Magic is where the game mechanics are explained and demonstrated. Action checks are rolled on 3d6, adding in the appropriate attribute modifier, and then bonuses from applicable traits. Interestingly, the author has done away with the d20 for resolving action checks, using a bell-curve probability instead. Personally, I’ve always had some problems with the d20 roll because of its non-existent curve, although other fans of OSR games might take the removal of the d20 as bad form. Action checks are tested against a static resistance, such as armor class (DEX bonus + armor bonus), or against a resistance roll, such as a monster rolling to find a hidden character. For other types of rolls, a difficulty check is involved, with target numbers of 5 to 40 to represent Easy to Mythic levels of challenge. The system is fairly straightforward, and similar to the mechanics of many other FRP games.

A series of action rolls is used to resolve conflicts, which can be physical or mental. Physical combats are typical adventuring combats – killing a nest of kobolds for example. Mental conflicts are social in nature, convincing a guard, advising a king, or striking fear into an enemy. As previously mentioned, there is a separate hit point pool for resolving mental conflicts.

I should note that the spell system is based upon Vancian magic, and are resolved by an action check as well. A poor result causes a spell to fail and be lost, with lesser failure resulting in it failing to be cast, and must be tried again next round.

But it is the Effect Engine, with the effects and consequences system really adds a new dimension to the standard FRP game. This allows a player or GM to add bonus and penalty effects on the fly, based upon how well one succeeds or fails an action check. Effects and consequences have degrees – minor, major, and extreme – and cost a certain number of effect points to utilize. For instance, a hero strikes an orc with a sword, rolling 7 higher than required for 7 effect points. For 5 effect points, the hero can designate that the orc take a minor consequence or grant himself an effect in the form of a bonus to hit. Excess points can be used to add additional damage, although it cannot exceed the sum of the weapon damage and the character’s attribute. If the hero had missed the orc by 7, the GM can impose a minor consequence on the player-character, which opens up a whole new dimension to describing combats while adding game effects and mechanics. The author gives details on the various effects and consequences which can be placed on an opponent, and players and GMs are encouraged to create new ones based upon the story, situation, or the character’s persona.

Monsters & Magic
also includes a section on advancing characters level by level, and offers a very open ended choice for how a character develops. The author offers a system whereby a player can select a new trait, spell, special action, signature item, or stance from list of advances in each character class, beyond gaining additional hit points and attribute points. This presents a system which allows a player to design their own path for their character’s advancement each level, so that no two characters, even of the same class, have to advance in the same way. But the author also suggests that advancement tables and abilities from other game systems can be adopted instead with a little conversion, if so desired. Personally, I think the freedom of advancement in the basic Monsters & Magic rules is very appealing compared to a static power-by-level experience chart.

The section entitled Running the Game contains a lot of GM tips and information on encounter creation, NPC design, hazardous elements, and treasure distribution. There is very little information here on specific magic items, but the author does give guidelines on creating them, as well as mentioning that existing magic items from other systems can be converted for use with Monsters & Magic. There is also some interesting behind the scenes material on concepts such as alignment focus and alignment drift which can either make a character an alignment champion or change their alignment altogether. There are some quick rules for handling mass combats, as well as conflicts using a character’s fame and fortune as an attribute.

Monsters & Magic
has a compendium of spells for Clerics, Druids, and Magic-Users of 1st and 2nd Level, drawn from generic spells available under the OGL – magic missile, cure light wounds, entangle are fairly familiar to anyone who has played any edition of D&D. This section on Magic also includes rules on spellcasting and resisting spells, along with the effects of various spells in the compendium. Once again, the author invites the use of content from other FRP games for higher level magic, and very little conversion is needed here.

There is a fairly decent monster manual in Monsters & Magic, with many classic fantasy monsters like minotaurs, orcs, and skeletons presented under the new rule system. The list is by no means exhaustive, however, with plenty of room for a GM to add additional monsters from other games or their own imagination. Monster creation rules are presented to make the process streamlined. In some respects, applying the trait system to monsters makes them a little more complex than early edition D&D critters, but many of these traits are simple enough to apply and don’t appear to be cumbersome to a combat.

As previously mentioned, Monsters & Magic has an introductory adventure called Silvermoon for use with those new to the game system. The adventure is actually quite nicely designed, and the cartographer did a great jobs on mapping out the dungeon-crawl.

The appendices and index round out the core rulebook, providing a game play summary and useful tables, as well as a character sheet. I don’t doubt that copies of these pages will be printed out for easy reference at the gaming table during any Monster & Magic campaign.

Overall Score: 3.7 out of 5.0

Final Conclusions

I was really intrigued by Monsters & Magic, and I love a lot of the innovative new rules and game mechanics that essentially update AD&D to a modern game. Much of the minutiae bound rules and chart flipping has been streamlined, and the addition of the trait system and Effect Engine really allow imaginative players to narrate their characters performing heroic deeds, with game mechanics to back up that narrative.

And while I liked the idea that the author promoted the game’s ability to convert characters, monsters, spells, and magic items from other game systems into Monsters & Magic, this conversion process is required to propel a campaign past 5th level. There is no content for high level play, no high level spells, or high level monsters, so that the GM must either create it herself, or find other games to cannibalize. For an old veteran gamer like myself, surrounded by piles of old edition books like a dragon on a hoard, I’d have an overabundance of content to convert over to Monsters & Magic. New gamers or gamers coming from other gaming genres might not have that material, putting additional purchases of convertible content into their futures.

Still, this is an innovative and fresh take on OSR gaming, and fans of OSR games might really enjoy the new mechanics. The price is quite reasonable (maybe even a little low) for all the content contained in the core rules, and Monsters & Magic seems like it might be quite appealing to those gamers who enjoy the FATE and HeroQuest systems.

Author’s Note
: This Reviewer received a complimentary copy of the product from which the review was written.

Grade Card (Ratings 1 to 5)

• Presentation: 4.0
  • - Design: 4.0 (Solid layout and excellent writing; good explanations of game mechanics)
  • - Illustrations: 4.0 (Awesome cover and interior art; very evocative of old school RPGs)
  • Content: 3.5
  • - Crunch: 3.0 (Cool new rules for OSR play; conversion is neat, but feels dependent on other game’s contents)
  • - Fluff: 4.0 (Lots of fluff for character creation and monsters; very narrative friendly game play)
  • Value: 3.5 (Good price for a lot of game, but lacks material for long term play)

Gadget

Adventurer
The review seems to imply strongly that the OSR movement was almost wholly a response to the release of 4e, which does not jive with my memory. I seem to remember it being well under way before 4e came out, though of course it continued to pick up steam after 4e released. I would hazard an opinion that OSR is just as much a reaction to 3e and 'Modern' forms of D&D back to a simpler, more stripped down rule set and several specific play styles that seem to go along with them.

Other than that, interesting review.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Yeah, the OSR (though it wasn't called that yet) was definitely brewing when I left the scene, which was only a couple of years into 3.5. There was a lot of whinging about 3.5 cementing things which were left more vague in 3e, like the grid and minis.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
3rd Ed is where the game started to derail, and with 4th Ed it lost the rails completely and turned the train into a rocket-ship.

5th Ed is shaping up to to be the proper successor to 2nd Ed, for me.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Remember Diaglo!

There were always hold outs posting over on dragonsfoot. But I definately associate the term OSR, the explosion of related blogs and all the new old stuff with 2008, thats when, for example, the Grognardia blog was launched. It is true that OSRIC had already come out in 2006 and Labyrinth Lord in 2007, but 4E (and the end of WotC support for 3E) seemed to pour fuel on the fire.

Warbringer

Explorer
Well the copywrite date on my Castles and Crusades says 2005, and you have to think there was demand before they wrote the books.

Definitely a response to 3(.x)e (not 4e).

tenkar

Old School Blogger
I've also been reviewing M&M on the blogside, but I don't see it as OSR at this point of my review. It is more of a way to translate Old School adventures to New School / Story Telling mechanics. Old modules will definitely play out in a differnent way after being converted to M&M.

As a tool to open up old adventures to players of newer RPG systems like Fate and such, it's awesome. Grognards are not going to have the same experience.

Remove ads

Remove ads