The 15 Best D&D Modules Of All Time

The definitive list. Over 120 adventures were nominated, and over 500 votes cast to determine your Top 15 Best D&D Modules Of All Time. From BECMI, AD&D 1E, AD&D 2E, D&D 3E/3.5, and D&D 4E, we present the definitive list of the best official Dungeons & Dragons adventures as chosen by YOU. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hotvELUWu8&feature=youtu.be

The definitive list. Over 120 adventures were nominated, and over 500 votes cast to determine your Top 15 Best D&D Modules Of All Time. From BECMI, AD&D 1E, AD&D 2E, D&D 3E/3.5, and D&D 4E, we present the definitive list of the best official Dungeons & Dragons adventures as chosen by YOU.

[video=youtube;0hotvELUWu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hotvELUWu8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Blackbrrd

First Post
The production value of that video was so terrible I couldn't stand getting further than #13. Starting of with a minute of fading text, moving text and transitions really isn't the way to go.

What I was expecting was a short presentation of the different modules. For instance some images of the art work and maps with a voice-over.

EditorBFG

Explorer
I would be interested to see what the results were for 4E adventures, since none made it into the top 15. I actually was Googling around the other day for most popular 4E adventures and couldn't find much of anything.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
An interesting list, and a number of surprises for me regarding inclusions, exclusions, and rank.

Red Hand of Doom placed far higher than I would have expected, even if I'd actually considered it to be on such a list. I like it a lot, actually, but it wouldn't occur to me to place it in the top 10, let alone top 5...especially when that top 5 doesn't include Against the Giants or Queen of the Spiders.

The absence of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks surprises me. I'd have thought it would at least rank somewhere in a top 15 list, especially with Night Below making it on that list. For that matter, Night Below making it in, but not Dragon Mountain, surprises me, too.

I've never been a big fan of Ravenloft. I don't think it's bad, but I've never quite grokked the widespread love for it.

None of this is a complaint. It's a list different from what I'd come up with, but that's not a bad thing. It's interesting to see where tastes range, especially in comparison to the list from some years ago in Dungeon.

One comment about the video itself - it's paced a bit briskly. My tired old eyes have a hard time focusing and reading the quotes and comments due to the speed at which they appear and disappear.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The Lost City, the Whispering Cairn, Isle of Dread, Castle Amber, Against the Giants, Tomb of Horrors, Keep on the Borderlands, Temple of Elemental Evil... these are some of my favorites. I don't really agree with number one, however, but I do agree that it should be included as a classic adventure module.

Interesting to see that no 4E module was included in the list. Now that we are transitioning to DnD Next I doubt we'll ever see one that can be considered.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Here's how the list continues after #15 (but not shown in the video):

16) Return to the Tomb of Horrors
17) Rappan Athuk (+ Reloaded; votes combined)
18) The Banewarrens
19) The Gates of Firestorm Peak
20) White Plume Mountain
21) Against the Cult of the Reptile God
22) Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
23) Dragons of Despair
24) Caverns of Thracia
25) Dead Gods

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Here's how the list continues after #15 (but not shown in the video):

16) Return to the Tomb of Horrors
17) Rappan Athuk (+ Reloaded; votes combined)
18) The Banewarrens
19) The Gates of Firestorm Peak
20) White Plume Mountain
21) Against the Cult of the Reptile God
22) Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
23) Dragons of Despair
24) Caverns of Thracia
25) Dead Gods

Fascinating. I would never have expected to see the Banewarrens at all. Again, not a bad adventure; in this case, I'm surprised simply because I rarely see any discussion of it. Judges Guild manages to make the list with Caverns of Thracia, but I would have guessed Dark Tower would have been JG's lone entry if I'd been asked to guess. I'm surprised to see Return to the Tomb of Horrors that high on the list; I love it, but I didn't think it would have that much appeal.

NewJeffCT

First Post
The Lost City, the Whispering Cairn, Isle of Dread, Castle Amber, Against the Giants, Tomb of Horrors, Keep on the Borderlands, Temple of Elemental Evil... these are some of my favorites. I don't really agree with number one, however, but I do agree that it should be included as a classic adventure module.

Interesting to see that no 4E module was included in the list. Now that we are transitioning to DnD Next I doubt we'll ever see one that can be considered.

I didn't hate 4E and ran a 2 year long campaign using 4E rules. However, I don't recall many official 4E adventures out there - maybe if it had lasted longer, we'd have gotten more adventures for it?

Remove ads

Remove ads