4 Elements at the Core of 4e

The thing that makes 4e D&D one of the most easily customizable D&D versions ever hinges on four little rules that make up the core of the system. Understand these, and you can twist the engine to your own ends beautifully. What are these four fundamental elements? How might you use these rules to enhance your own games? Come get your weekly dose of RPG potassium, lads & lasses.

The thing that makes 4e D&D one of the most easily customizable D&D versions ever hinges on four little rules that make up the core of the system. Understand these, and you can twist the engine to your own ends beautifully. What are these four fundamental elements? How might you use these rules to enhance your own games? Come get your weekly dose of RPG potassium, lads & lasses.

Ah, the "wonders" of dice math. Throughout the history of the D&D game, we’ve seen a lot of variation in the odds of your character actually accomplishing the thing they try, and significant variation in how long it takes them to accomplish it. Your 1st level thief might hide in shadows 10% of the time – only one in every ten times! And your 1st level magic-user might cast Sleep and wipe out an entire room full of goblins….and if that room full of goblins is the elite guard for the MacGuffin, you just Won D&D.

Those kinds of odds are bound to make someone a little disgruntled.

One of 4e D&D’s most significant accomplishments is in developing and applying a consistent standard across every level and in every encounter and with every turn for how a player character should perform in combat. This consistency ultimately involves tracking a lot of disparate game elements, but it comes down to four principles that 4e D&D adheres to quite strongly: the four elements at the core of 4e D&D.

Allegory_of_the_Four_Elements.jpg

Tea with Aristotle?

Earth: Thou Shalt Succeed On A 9
Mr. David Flor breaks down the details here.

The short version is this: the math shakes out so that characters hit on an 8+ at early levels, and by late levels, this turns into a 12+. On average, if you roll a 9, you’re hitting. The variation likely accounts for the various bonuses and penalties that become more common as you gain higher levels.

So, if the rule is: “Roll a 9 and hit,” you can adopt that regardless of your game. All the bonuses, all the Expertise feats, all the buffs and debuffs, all fold into this one simple rule. The rule is psychologically pretty robust: you succeed slightly more often than you fail, so you are encouraged to try, but the difference is not so great as to give you an auto-success: you still have a significant chance of failure. Regardless of your game, if you adopt this rule you can pretty much eradicate fiddly math bits, and just look at the number you rolled on your d20: if it’s 9 or above, you hit.

In exchange for fiddly +1’s and -2’s you can adopt other mechanics to represent situational bonuses to attack and defense. Something like 5e’s Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic helps fill that role, but you might also consider non-stacking bonuses: a character that is “accurate” might get a constant +2 or +4, a creature with high defenses (either via evasion or via thick armor) might apply a constant -2 or -4. Essentially, this could be just your ability score modifier (a la 3e and 4e), and nothing else. One modifier to keep track of, one penalty or bonus to apply, instead of a cascading wash of dozens, makes the whole thing a lot more about what modifiers you WANT to include, rather than about trying to add up all the ones the game WANTS you to include.

You can also adopt this outside of attacks. Skill DC’s and ability checks and pre 4e saving throws and proficiency checks might be rolled into this as well: roll 9 and you succeed in your check. You could add some gradations, but it would essentially be something you could control for your own games. Want a character good at Activity X (whatever Activity X might be)? Give them a +4 bonus, or Advantage on the roll. Any roll involving a d20 could work with this.

Air: Thou Shalt Win After 6 Hits
The lovely and talented “Haze” sets this one up.

The abstract here is this: strikers kill a typical monster in 4 hits. Everyone else kills a typical monster in 8 hits. On average, your party is killing monsters at the rate of 6 hits per monster, per character. This assumes you’re dealing at least your level +3 damage with each hit (easier with bigger dice).

This combines with the rule above to make any combat with any creature at any level something you can run without a reference to the precise stats or CON modifiers or whatever. If you’ve got a 5-person party, you’re going to need a total of 30 d20 rolls that are 9+ to win the combat. Period. Meaning, about 43 die rolls. This might be 30 minions, this might be 5 “normal” monsters, this might be one “solo” monster, but it’s 6 hits, and then you win.

You can also eliminate much of 4e’s infamous drag by changing the assumptions. Make everyone a striker, and now the typical monster goes down in 4 hits. Make strikers do DOUBLE THAT, if you’d like, and you got a monster that goes down in an average of 3 hits (2 for strikers, 4 for everyone else). Suddenly that 43-roll combat is more like a 22-roll combat, cutting the time it eats up significantly. You could even eliminate the need for strikers entirely in this way: just make EVERYONE a striker. Suddenly, there’s not just one character that does the damage: everyone does.

Believe it or not, this works outside the context of combat, too. Because we’ve removed damage dice from the equation entirely, we’re really just tracking “successes,” skill-challenge style. A chase scene or an epic overland journey or a staring contest with a beholder…and it can be as long as a typical 4e combat, or longer, or shorter, or anywhere in between simply by adjusting the number of assumed “successes.” This could even let you play with ideas like gaining “victory points” toward your goal by making the equivalent of damage rolls. Though this might draw the parallels to combat a bit too closely for some, its ability to be included as an option is clear.

Fire: Thou Shalt Die After 5 Hits
This one involved a little bit more independent research, but take your favorite character generator, whip up a Fighter of a given level, and compare that to the damage done by a monster of the same level. A quick division will find out how many hits that Fighter can take. Now take a Wizard and do the same. You’re likely going to hit a number somewhere between 3 and 6. On average, we’ll say 5.

So now not only do you have a measure of how long and how many hits it’ll take for you to win, but you also have a measure of how long your character can survive against the assault. You don’t have to worry about tracking individual monster damage totals or adding five different attributes in. In fact, you don’t even have to worry about PC HP: “tough” characters can take 6 hits, “weak” characters can take 4, “average” characters can take 5. This can also be altered to make a fight more tense or death more likely: reduce this number by 1 or 2 or 3 and you suddenly have a game where monsters are real and present dangers.

Ah, but not just monsters. Like everything else, this can be applied to other challenges, as well. While you wander over the desert, the desert makes “attacks” against your character’s defenses (9+ hits!), and if it does, your character takes a “hit.” Maybe in your bid to take the throne from the corrupt noble, he makes “attacks” against your characters in a propaganda campaign – if he “hits” the public often enough, your characters will lose. In this case, maybe it means being run out of town by an angry populace! This even improves on the Skill Challenge base by having an active opposition, who can win even if you don’t fail.

Healing in this system effectively works like giving your party an extra hit: it removes one hit. You can also treat dodging and negation as basically equivalent to healing, mechanically. If you can “deflect” one attack in each encounter, negating its damage entirely, it works like one extra use of your Leader’s healing ability. It’s actually possible to get away with removing healers entirely with this perspective: if you just give out two extra “hits” per encounter, you’ve duplicated what 4e’s Leader features do.

Water: Thou Shalt Have 5 Encounters Per Day
Another one that involved a little bit of research, we can see that 4e is built assuming that the characters will get in roughly 5-6 encounters between each full recharge. This can be found by digging into the healing surges available to a character: before taking modifiers into account, the system grants between 6 and 9 surges per character (on average, 8). The party in general can spend usually one healing surge each, plus two more (for the Leader), meaning a party of 5 loses, on average, 7 surges per encounter. That same party of 5 has 40 hp. A simple division comes up with slightly less than 6 encounters in which the party can spend all of their surges. Because surges rarely undo a hit in a 1-to-1 relationship, and because the level difference comes into play, this number can have quite a bit of variance, but it generally pings between 3-6, depending on how careful the party is and how stringent you are with allowing them to rest. This also lines up with the number of encounters required to gain a level: if you fight for 2 days straight, you should gain a level.

Once you have this metric, you can start messing with the flow of time and pacing of your games. If a party of 5 can endure 5 “encounters” between a recharge, you pace a story so that it naturally flows through these encounters, or set up a dungeon that consists of 5 encounters’ worth of enemies (for a party of 5, that’s 25 standard monsters, each standard monster consisting of 6 hits).

As with the other systems, you can remove this from the context of combat and place it in front of any challenge. To journey to the nearest city may require a wilderness trek that may suck up 5 encounters’ worth of healing surges from the party, or a party involved in a game of courtly intrigue may spend healing surges to prevent vicious rumors from spreading. It might get a little abstract and meta-game in some of these instances, but it’s just a few levels removed from the already-abstract healing surge itself.

In fact, though, with this metric you can also jettison healing surges entirely. If a character can have 5 encounters per day, and can take 5 hits per encounter, you can just take the base HP (for instance, 4), multiply it by the hits (5), and then multiply that by the number of encounters (5) to get the total number of HP necessary for the whole day. If you combine this with rules for adjusting the rate of healing (for instance, making short rests overnight and extended rests a weekly experience), you can weave rests into the over-arcing narrative as well!

How Would You Use “4elemental”?
So, this series of four little rules gives us a way to look at 4e as a simple game of “get 9 or better 6 times before your enemies do it 5 times for each of you.” It’s the same essential math, just stripped of fiddly bits, math, and D&D-ish trappings (like hit points). It’s the “chassis” of fourth edition, a lite version, the basic die rolls that the game runs on. It doesn’t include the powers that perhaps eat up the most wordcount in published 4e material…but then, the powers are just variation on this basic math chassis, bigger spike effects that represent or negate more hits.

How would you use this information? Does the simplicity appeal to you or turn you off? Is the adaptability a gain, or something pointless? Let me know down in the comments!

Aside from the '5 encounters per day' thing, I keyed into this basic trend when I worked up a home-brew RPG based on 4e. You certainly cannot use all of 4e's options, since they're too granular. But for a quick-play game, it worked pretty well, and there were still enough levers to make it narratively interesting.

The main thing I did was give everyone a default of 10 HP, which might go up to 20 for tough guys. So kind of like your '5 hits,' except each hit could be broken up. It allowed for daggers to be different from greatswords, and for spells to do half damage on a miss, and the like.

I think for a functional game that lets you wrap your head around different elements of fantasy adventures, you need at least:

AC, Fort, Ref, Will
Hits and damage to kill you vs. saving throws and conditions to weaken or take you out
Energy types and resistances
Big & small weapons
Some mechanic to allow limited powerful attacks vs. regular normal attacks
And of course a cavalcade of magic.

A

amerigoV

This is all IMO since everybody likes different things out of a game. Savage Worlds is my go-to system both as player and GM these days. It has a much higher "swing" factor and good tools for players to deal with that swing. That (among other things) reminded me of the bad old days of 1e (except I like the SW system much better - I get the best of both worlds - nostalgia and a good system and I am loving it).

With that in mind, your observations just confirm how much the numbers drove 4e. 4e seemed to remove the variance and drove much tighter to the mean. Quite frankly, its not to my taste. I enjoy the wildness so long as players (and the GM) have some way to influence it. Its more fun to ride the roller coaster than the kiddie-cars at the amusement part, even though both get you to the same spot.

When the GM puts down a Dragon fig, I "want" to have the feeling "oh crap, this could hurt" and not "ok guys, if we roll 9+ six times before it can get five hits on us, the loot is ours!" That may sound I am being condescending, but if that is how the game really runs there are players that will pick up on this, guaranteed*

* I'll given an example from 3e. Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. In the obelisk room there is an arch that Gates in a Grell if you touch it. Sadly, the first thing said was not "crap, don't touch that again!" First thing out of one of my player's mouth was "cool, an XP generator!" And he was exactly right. The system awarded XP based on killing stuff. And here was a way to provide endless XP, in theory. Of course I then showed a picture of the elder grell wizard from the Aberrations book just to remind them that it might not just be a plain old Grell that pops out :evil

I haven't run 4e (aside from a Gamma World game that lasted all of 3 sessions), but I might implement some of this if I do run the system. The 9+ success reminds me of Barbarians of Lemuria (which is my current favorite system) and the other adjustments are intriguing. Not for everyone, definitely, and I'd probably adjust things a bit so that the players can't, as AmerigoV puts it, think in terms of number of hits, etc. I do like the combat-as-skill-check variant but think it might need to be tweaked for various monsters, increased and decreased accordingly. I'd have to think it over a bit before making further comments, but I do like the direction you're heading with this.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
amerigoV said:
When the GM puts down a Dragon fig, I "want" to have the feeling "oh crap, this could hurt" and not "ok guys, if we roll 9+ six times before it can get five hits on us, the loot is ours!" That may sound I am being condescending, but if that is how the game really runs there are players that will pick up on this, guaranteed

I think of these numbers as a baseline that you can use to deviate from. In the example of plunking down a monster that is truly menacing, you might play with the "thou shalt have 5 encounters" rule and include ALL FIVE ENCOUNTERS in one big set-piece fight designed to rip away nearly all of the party's resources. In the example of the grells this works, too: if you know how many monsters the party can take on, you can toy with those assumptions to make sure they can't take on infinite waves of grell, or to make sure they get XP only for the broader goals.

You can even weave in something like bounded accuracy: start off hitting on a 14, end up hitting on a 6 (or whatever).

4e never really did much with those itself, but the chassis certainly allows an individual DM to do all those things.

Storminator

First Post
The "Roll 9+" really only applies to things you're good at. Trying an untrained skill with your dump stat means you might need to roll an 18. I've seen encounters were I, as the DM, was able to force the players to work without their strengths - FREX continuously hitting the strikers, while only allowing the leaders to hit back - that made the encounter extremely dangerous to the PCs. Winning those encounters means controlling the situation and getting it back into the "Roll 9+" paradigm.

PS

Janx

Hero
Some quibbles first:

In the Water section, second paragraph, the last sentence is uncompleted. It simply starts "You can also "

Can you confirm (or revise the text to include) that the GM also needs 9+ to-hit players?

I raise that, because it seems fishy that declared facts state the players need 9+ and kill monsters on 6 hits, and monsters kill players in 5 hits.

It's not explicitly stated what the monsters need to hit, though later text assumes it is also 9+. This would imply the monsters kill the players more often than the players kill monsters, since they both have the same odds of success but the monsters need fewer hits to win.

I suspect the monsters actually have a higher to-hit requirement (shooting more like storm troopers). I don't do 4e, so I couldn't say for sure, merely that the article's assessment seemed off.

Other than that, it's an interesting article. I see some useful simplified gaming concepts for anybody designing a game. Namely, how hard to make things.

Making success be "slightly better" than 50/50 keeps players happy. It also supports James Ernest's design point of making games be mostly luck, with a slight advantage going to somebody who plays smart. Keeping the odds of success near the 50/50 line helps enable that.

Keeping a combat (or any other challenge) constrained to 6 rounds on average, helps with pacing. Fights on TV don't last a whole episode either. if your game mechanics don't bog down within the round, then fights will feel fast paced.

For my own game designs, I have another rule of thumb. A player doesn't want to wait for more than 4 actions by other players before his own turn. This is why, in even relatively simple games, they feel like they are too slow when there are 6 or more players at that table (that's N-1 actions I have to wait for before I get to act). Complex games with multiple actions, are eating away at this budget of "waiting for my turn."

So, taking the lessons from 4elemental here, we could make a very fast-play RPG where each player gets one action per turn, needs 9+ to succeed, and 6 successes to overcome the current encounter challenge.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Janx said:
In the Water section, second paragraph, the last sentence is uncompleted. It simply starts "You can also "

Aw, man. :blush: Thanks!

Storminator said:
The "Roll 9+" really only applies to things you're good at.

That's pretty true! All 4e characters are just "good at" attacks. Changing that target number is a great way to account for things you aren't so good at (I point out adding ability modifiers as the only modifiers hits that zone...though admittedly, not with the 18+-to-pass requirement!)

Storminator

First Post
That's pretty true! All 4e characters are just "good at" attacks. Changing that target number is a great way to account for things you aren't so good at (I point out adding ability modifiers as the only modifiers hits that zone...though admittedly, not with the 18+-to-pass requirement!)

Right - everyone's good at combat so it holds true there. But that doesn't apply to skill challenges, where players can frequently try their crazy idea, even with a -1 CHA mod and no training in Bluff.

PS

Balesir

Adventurer
I suspect the monsters actually have a higher to-hit requirement (shooting more like storm troopers). I don't do 4e, so I couldn't say for sure, merely that the article's assessment seemed off.
This is perhaps slightly true, but not by a huge margin. You might think of it in terms of PCs tending towards hitting on an 8, monsters hitting on a 10, but it's not as extreme as that (and modifiers, especially good positioning, make it much more fluid).

To give the PCs the edge they have other tools available. Spending healing surges during the battle is one - this extends the hits needed to drop a PC by one or two. Another is that they have more ability to "stick" monsters to the characters better able to take the punishment (defenders tend to have more hit points and higher defences, although just what mix of them varies with the specific class).

If the players leverage their advantages they can win an equal level battle quite easily, but they can't just take it for granted.

Keeping a combat (or any other challenge) constrained to 6 rounds on average, helps with pacing. Fights on TV don't last a whole episode either. if your game mechanics don't bog down within the round, then fights will feel fast paced.
Fight duration is a critical control point, and more guidance on rules variants to modify it would have been very useful from day 1. Too long a duration and the session gets eaten up with just one big battle; too short a duration and no interesting decisions are really possible in the fight, and these moments of high tension are often the best moments to see some really deep roleplaying. Your character is perhaps best defined by what they do when the chips are down - and if they don't get time to blink at those times then there will be little chance for their character to be revealed.

Plus, on a simpler level, tactics only get interesting if the fight lasts more than 10 seconds...

For my own game designs, I have another rule of thumb. A player doesn't want to wait for more than 4 actions by other players before his own turn. This is why, in even relatively simple games, they feel like they are too slow when there are 6 or more players at that table (that's N-1 actions I have to wait for before I get to act). Complex games with multiple actions, are eating away at this budget of "waiting for my turn."
Interesting rule of thumb; probably not a bad one.

I would note, though, that giving players between-turn actions, as long as they all get them, is another way to address this (and will allow more than 5 players - including the GM, who might even arguably count as more than one player/action - in the game).

Remove ads

Remove ads