BESTIARY 5, ULTIMATE INTRIGUE, And More Coming For PATHFINDER!

Last night was Paizocon's preview banquet, at which Paizo announced a new raft of upcoming Pathfinder goodness. Bestiary 5, Ultimate Intrigue, new iconics, Occult Adventures, and more await! Thanks to Wolfgang Baur for his diligent coverage -- "Dream dragons and flying monkeys coming in Bestiary 5." Bestiary 5 is out in Fall this year, with Ultimate Intrigue in Spring 2016.

Last night was Paizocon's preview banquet, at which Paizo announced a new raft of upcoming Pathfinder goodness. Bestiary 5, Ultimate Intrigue, new iconics, Occult Adventures, and more await! Thanks to Wolfgang Baur for his diligent coverage -- "Dream dragons and flying monkeys coming in Bestiary 5." Bestiary 5 is out in Fall this year, with Ultimate Intrigue in Spring 2016.

The following comes from Wolfgang Baur. He also noted on Twitter that Kobolds are coming as a playable race in Pathfinder Society.

Jason Bulmahn takes the stage to reveal some secrets: 2 core Rulebook announcements promised.

CFvV5KYUUAAogwg.jpg

New iconics.

CFvYjkPUsAAAA95.jpg

Permanent 9th level mind swap spell. Eep. Occultist has battle host and tome eater archetypes. Psychic magic is the full equal of divine and arcane magic. Phrenology as an occult skill?! Hm. New haunts that every character interacts with. And the Paizo version of ley lines, which I am looking forward to checking out.

CFvaDDXUsAI4xla.jpg

Dream dragons and flying monkeys coming in Bestiary 5. Fall 2015.

CFvadxtUgAAgBmQ.jpg

It was aliens! In Bestiary 5

CFva1YtUsAEv8su.jpg

Spring 2016: ultimate intrigue for skill and social rules including social dueling. New class: the vigilante.

CFveak5UEAINO1j.jpg

Next PACG is Mummy's Mask. 3 occult adventures iconics will appear in Mummy’s Mask PACG.

CFvg_rQUgAEeXLl.jpg

Art for Hell's Rebels AP. There is a lot of diabolical evil in the AP, but players are the good guys.

CFvhgYZUIAA9pvk.jpg

James Jacobs character will be on the cover of AP#100, plus secrets of Aroden and 128 pages.

CFviFloVEAAomSn.jpg

Uh oh. Hell's Vengeance AP as an all-evil adventure.

CFvixhgVEAA3T9E.jpg

Stryx and rat folk getting some love in Inner Sea Races, focus on art, lore, and cultural detail.

CFvkxCBUMAAFVsM.jpg

Next set of PF minis.

CFvlXv6UgAEbA9n.jpg

A ghoul champion from the minis set.

Ultimate Intrigue
This sounds like the book that we need to partner with Hell's Rebels not releasing six months after. More and more I wish they'd have skipped the ACG and had Occult Adventures last year.
Diplomacy and the social skills can be a bit wonky. I love the idea of focusing on them, even if it risks making roleplaying into a skill challenge affair.
The vigilante class... okay, wtf. How is a vigilante not an urban ranger or a rogue or even a slayer. This feels like a weak excuse for a new class.
I hope this book is full of advice and isn't just mechanics.
The focus on the skill classes is odd; they're already good and dealing with social situations. Archetypes and options for all the other classes - giving classes like the fighter or monk a social role - would have been preferable. This should be the book for archetypes if you want characters with a reduced combat focus and increased social focus.

Bestiary 5
"After 4 bestiaries, still tonnes of awesome monsters!" Yeah, right.
Okay, I'm jaded as I also have the Green Ronin Advanced Bestiary and Frog God Games' Tome of Horrors Complete, so I have a *lot* of monster content. But I don't think I've used the Bestiary 4 in a year and a half. Or even looked at it post-purchase. There was some good stuff in B4, as it pulled monsters from 60+ AP volumes, and drifted into the high level or Cthulhu mythos. Even then it was one of the weaker Bestiaries with the standard filler dragons and giants.

Hell's Vengeance
Tell me more... This sounds like the sequel to Hell's Rebels or playing as the Chelaxians.
I imagine with the similar names, the two will be confused quite a bit...

Rusty Dragon Inn
Here is all my money. Please send me inn prop minis.

PFS
Kobolds. Cool? I love kobolds but they are so underpowered as written. I imagine they work as a challenge race. "Can you survive regular PFS play with a race with half the Race Points?"
Year of the Serpent. Tell me more. It doesn't sound like it connects

I adore bestiaries, a good one is like a hundred plot devices (or episodes of Supernatural) in one book, mix them with something like Green Ronin's advanced Bestiary or Rite's Book of Monster Templates (that I've just (re)discovered on Lulu) and I'm a happy dread bunny....

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Whoa. An AP where PCs are evil!? Impressive. The 3pp AP Way of the Wicked was very popular.

I can't help but sniker and think of Perkins saying we won't see an AP with evil PCs for D&D. Generika it is.

Oh, and info on Aroden!

dwayne

Adventurer
Another round of books to add to the pile of other pathfinder (3.x), almost getting close to the or may have pasted the mound of books put out for 3.0 and 3.5 D&D combined. As the masses shell out more money for the added rules that clutter up and muck up the mix and takes the power from the GM telling a story to the power players with the new books with the new toys. Less is more fokes if you have a good GM you don't need a bunch of books to have a fun game or to create one. 5th edition rules and puts the power back in the hands of the story teller, not the power gamer.

DM Howard

Explorer
Another round of books to add to the pile of other pathfinder (3.x), almost getting close to the or may have pasted the mound of books put out for 3.0 and 3.5 D&D combined. As the masses shell out more money for the added rules that clutter up and muck up the mix and takes the power from the GM telling a story to the power players with the new books with the new toys. Less is more fokes if you have a good GM you don't need a bunch of books to have a fun game or to create one. 5th edition rules and puts the power back in the hands of the story teller, not the power gamer.

Whilst I agree there are quite a lot of books available for Pathfinder/3.5 for many that's the draw, the large amount of resources to draw from. If anyone feels that a rules set is what dictates whether the power is in the hands of the storyteller or not is clearly looking at it the wrong way. The power is in the hands of the group as a whole. The group should come to an understanding at any one point in time what books or resources are acceptable for a particular campaign, or what isn't acceptable at all. Remember that RPGs are a shared experience, so what's the point of the GM "having the power" when the players aren't having any fun. Sure, just limiting books on the fly isn't feasible in public play, but that's why guidelines are available in that regard. However, in the end, play what you want and let others play what they want; this applies to both the use of resources and books available as well as the choice of game(s).

Remove ads

Remove ads