Put Your d20 On Trial!

Ever wondered if your d20 was balanced correctly? Concerned that you have a die that always rolls low? A guy called Daniel Fisher has the solution for you - a trick that golfers apparently use to test their golf balls! All you need is your d20, and a glass of salt water (room temperature water with a load of salt in it - as much as needed to make the die float).

Ever wondered if your d20 was balanced correctly? Concerned that you have a die that always rolls low? A guy called Daniel Fisher has the solution for you - a trick that golfers apparently use to test their golf balls! All you need is your d20, and a glass of salt water (room temperature water with a load of salt in it - as much as needed to make the die float).

[video=youtube;VI3N4Qg-JZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI3N4Qg-JZM[/video]

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Okay, here are my results, I could find 11 d20's. Two are clear with glitter (different colors so different runs), one is an older non-variegated opaque orange, the other 8 are opaque variegated plastic. I get most of my dice from Chessex so I think all but two would be from them. One of the clear dice had a very slight tendency to roll to the 11, the other clear die and the orange die had no discernible roll tendency. One of the other variegated dice (which was Chessex because it was the last set I bought) had no discernible roll. The other 7 had discernible to pretty obvious roll tendencies. I shall post the results of the physical rolls next.

Results
Clear die 1 (no roll tendency): Out of 200 rolls, same number 6 times, the 16
Clear die 2 (slight tendency for 11): Out of 200 rolls, same number 11 times, the 11
Orange die (no roll tendency): Out of 200 rolls, same number 4 times, the 12
variegated die 1 (no roll tendency): Out of 200 rolls, same number 4 times, the 8
variegated die 2-8 all of these rolled better than 16 times out of the 200 rolls to the number that I had noticed in the heavy saline solution, one worst rolled 32 times to the 18.

Note: I had to use WAY more salt for the clear and orange dice.

Janx

Hero
I'm concerned that if I do this I might have to give up the die that last session only rolled 19s and 20s.

only if you publish the results :)

I have a steel d20 that came with the Iron Heroes battle box. I had great hopes for that die, but it rolled 1 more often than I've ever rolled 1s before. I probably just need to put it in the glass and bury it with salt in my backyard.

Baumi

Adventurer
I had a D30 that was unbelievably unbalanced. It was not a cheater die, looked perfectly ok, didn't feel wrong but it showed a "20" more than half of the time (thats not an overexaturation and at the end of the Session the other players tried it themselves with the same result)!

Remove ads

Remove ads