Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide: The First Official D&D Setting
  • Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

[Promoted post] The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is an official upcoming sourcebook from WotC. More accurately, it's the first official 5E setting book from WotC! "Get everything you need to adventure in the Forgotten Realms on the exciting Sword Coast, home to the cities of Baldurís Gate, Waterdeep, and Neverwinter! A collaboration between Green Ronin Publishing and the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, the Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide provides D&D fans with a wealth of detail on the places, cultures, and deities of northwestern FaerŻn." Set for release November 3rd, this will be the first official setting book, and is timed to release along with the Sword Coast Legends video game.

"The Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide is also a great way to catch up on recent events in the Forgotten Realms, to get background on locations featured in the Rage of Demons storyline coming in September, and to learn the lore behind video games like Neverwinter and Sword Coast Legends.

Here are just a few of the features youíll find in the Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide:

Immersive Adventuring: This campaign sourcebook provides players and Dungeon Masters material for creating vibrant fantasy stories along the Sword Coast.

New Character Options: The book offers new subclass options, such as the Purple Dragon Knight and the Swashbuckler, for many of the classes presented in the Playerís Handbook, as well as new subraces and backgrounds specific to the Forgotten Realms.

Adventure in the Forgotten Realms: Discover the current state of the Forgotten Realms and its deities after the Spellplague and the second Sundering. Youíll also get updated maps of this area of the Realms.

Compatible with Rage of Demons storyline: Make characters for use with the Out of the Abyss adventure and fight back the influence of the demon lords in the Underdark below the Sword Coast.

Insider Information: Learn the background behind locations, such as Luskan and Gracklstugh, featured in the upcoming digital RPG, Sword Coast Legends, from n-Space.

With new character backgrounds and class options, players will love the storytelling possibilities of playing a noble of Waterdeep, an elf bladesinger, or one of the other new options, while Dungeon Masters will relish a book full of mysterious locations and story hooks to keep players adventuring on the Sword Coast for years to come."

It's interesting that a product called "Adventurer's Handbook" was cancelled (or "not announced") earlier this year. Perhaps this is based on work done on that product? Or not; it was originally a Sasquatch Studios product, after all (and they're busy producing their own pulp-fantasy D&D 5E setting on Kickstarter). Hard to tell! Maybe they figured the upcoming storyline was better timing for a sourcebook. That said, it's wonderful to see Green Ronin doing so well, with Out of the Abyss launching imminently, their Fantasy AGE system on Wil Wheaton's show, Titansgrave, and their recently successful Blue Rose Kickstarter. I dare say this is a golden age for the Ronins, similar (or maybe better than!) when Mutants & Masterminds took off a decade ago.

Original post:
    Not sure if this is new, but I only just noticed it myself:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabl...enturers-guide

SWORD COAST ADVENTURERíS GUIDE
    A SWORD COAST CAMPAIGN SOURCEBOOK FOR D&D PLAYERS AND DUNGEON MASTERS

SYNOPSIS

Explore the Sword Coast in this campaign sourcebook for the worldís greatest roleplaying game.

ITEM DETAILS

Price: $39.95 C$46.00
    Release Date: 03 November, 2015

WELCOME TO THE SWORD COASTóa region of FaerŻn that comprises shining paragons of civilization and culture, perilous locales fraught with dread and evil, and encompassing them all, a wilderness that offers every explorer vast opportunity and simultaneously promises great danger.

While the Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide is a valuable resource for Dungeon Masters, it was crafted with players and their characters foremost in mind. There is a plethora of new character options to intrigue and inspire every member of the adventuring party.

For use with the fifth edition Playerís Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Masterís Guide, the Sword Coast Adventurerís Guide provides the setting, story, and character options needed to participate in a game anywhere along the Sword Coast of the Forgotten Realms.
    Comments 271 Comments
      KarinsDad -
      And so the "bigger, better, badder" race begins.
      S_Dalsgaard -
      There is more info here - http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/scag

It seems to be new stuff, including new subclasses.
      Greybird -
      On the one hand, I'm glad to see that there is something out there. On the other, I'm starting to think that WotC has forgotten that the Sword Coast has a world attached to it.
      TerraDave -
      OMG, OMG, OMG!! They are releasing something!

Ahmm.

Looks like a carry over of the earlier book, but Green Ronin ends up getting it. And with such clear brand tie-in.

BTW, I think we have seen a playtest version of the swashbuckler. May have or will see others.
      unnatural 20 -
      Yeah, doesn't look like there will be a setting guide produced for the Realms?

I wonder if this is how settings will be updated. The makers of the Sword Coast PC game have said that they may do other settings in the future. So, maybe a Sharn source book for Eberron, or a Tyr source book for Dark Sun?
      TerraDave -
      Quote Originally Posted by KarinsDad View Post
      And so the "bigger, better, badder" race begins.
      elf bladesinger is actually in the announcement.
      Remathilis -
      Bout damn time.

I don't even play Realms, but consider this pre-ordered.
      jamesjhaeck -
      Color me excited! I'm a little surprised this announcement wasn't saved for GenCon. Makes me wonder what Wizards has up their sleeve for August.
    1. Ashran -
      I play and dm in the realms, and for me it seems as a must buy.
      CrusaderX -
      Yay! More product! I'll definitely be buying this.

The lead character on the cover art looks like a Swashbuckler to me. I hope the official subclass presented here has the kinks worked out of it from the Unearthed Arcana version.
      Sable -
      Well done Wizards, take my money. Just to see how the Bladesinger lives up to my 2E memories if for nothing else.
      Dragonsbane777 -
      Not that excited. I for one had hopes on books that were entire settings. Not only that, but that area of the world has like . . . a bunch of sourcebooks. But I guess the realms does as well. Personally, I would have rather seen a general world guidebook, with huge sections of races and subraces, backgrounds, subclasses, and then updated details on the different regions, deities, and history.
      Irennan -
      I've been waiting for an update on the Realms since the end of the Sundering series. This won't cover it all, but it is something.

I really want to see a Sword Dancer of Eilistraee option in the book: Eilistraee has been confirmed to be alive in the present era by Ed Greenwood, and I've always really liked her and the concept of an elegant, dancing sword wielder that can cast spells through song.
      Mirtek -
      First release after the PHB I'll buy
      collin -
      I am looking forward more to the new gaming material than the actual setting. Not sure if I would call Sword Coast a setting; it's more like a sub-setting, but I won't quibble about the details. Very interested in looking at this book when it comes out.
      justinj3x3 -
      I may not buy it because it's Realms stuff, but I may buy it for the character options. Either way I'm happy to see WOTC release an actual product and I don't have to wonder if they are ever going to do anything besides the core stuff!!
      greylurk -
      I don't mind having a bit more "focus" in the campaign settings instead of trying to document the piles and piles of Realms lore in one big huge hardcover. Just covering Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, and the rest of the Sword Coast is better than trying to wedge in all the lore around Anauroch, Thay, Mulorhand, Chult and Abier-Toril into one book.
      Barantor -
      Seems like they did this purely to tie in to the video game, gonna pass.
      justinj3x3 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Barantor View Post
      Seems like they did this purely to tie in to the video game, gonna pass.
      That occurred to me too, but after a year it's good to see WOTC put out ANYTHING.
      Staffan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsbane777 View Post
      Not that excited. I for one had hopes on books that were entire settings. Not only that, but that area of the world has like . . . a bunch of sourcebooks.
      Actually, it doesn't. OK, the northern Sword Coast (Waterdeep and north of that) is fairly well covered, but information on the southern part (formerly known as Western Heartlands) is surprisingly hard to come by. The sources are mainly:

* The relevant parts of the various setting books/boxes.
      * Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast (which focuses a lot on "touristy" information).
      * Forgotten Realms Adventures (the 1e-to-2e update book on FR, which also had two-page descriptions of cities/towns across the Heartlands - but pretty much nothing on the lands in between the settlements).

That's pretty much it. There are scattered details across other sourcebooks - for example, a book about mercenaries might have a mercenary company based in the Western Heartland (or it might not - I can't remember), but there's precious little about the area itself.
    Comments Leave Comment