Baldman Games & WotC On All Access Issues At Gen Con

There were a lot of complaints about the D&D All Access gaming at Gen Con this year. Charles Akins over at Dyvers Campaign has a great summary, so I won't repeat it here - but if you're interested, check that out. WotC and Baldman Games (who run the D&D events at Gen Con) appear to have heard those complaints, because they are taking action to address them - to the extent that they're giving All Access badge holders a free copy of the upcoming hardcover Out of the Abyss, and a free copy of Sword Coast Legends video game!

There were a lot of complaints about the D&D All Access gaming at Gen Con this year. Charles Akins over at Dyvers Campaign has a great summary, so I won't repeat it here - but if you're interested, check that out. WotC and Baldman Games (who run the D&D events at Gen Con) appear to have heard those complaints, because they are taking action to address them - to the extent that they're giving All Access badge holders a free copy of the upcoming hardcover Out of the Abyss, and a free copy of Sword Coast Legends video game!

You need to fill out a form to get your goodies.

"I first want to thank everyone for the excellent feedback so far. We are gathering comments and discussing ways to improve all Baldman Games’ offerings going forward. We will have further posts this Fall asking for more specific feedback.

Baldman Games and Wizards of the Coast realize that we did not meet your expectations with our All-Access Program at Gen Con this year. The way production schedules lined up, it was difficult for us to provide the new products that had been offered in previous years. But have no fear! We want to make things right. We value your support of D&D and our programs at Gen Con and other shows. To that end, we have some stuff to offer to everyone who played in the All-Access program at Gen Con 2015.

Here’s what you’ll get:

One hard copy of Out of the Abyss, the TRPG adventure in the Rage of Demons story, before it hits store shelves, mailed directly to you
One code for a digital copy of Sword Coast Legends, the party-based RPG coming out on PC, Mac and Linux, on September 29th, sent to the email you provide.

If you are an All-Access player from Gen Con, please make sure to fill in the form below completely. The information provided will only be used to ship the book to you, send the code, and/or contact you if we have a problem doing so. It will be destroyed once shipping is completed.

Once again, we apologize for not meeting the expectations of the program this year, and we will work hard in the coming months to build a bigger, stronger, and more transparent program in 2016 and beyond.

David Christ
Baldman Games"

Okay, seriously, this is one classy move on behalf of WotC, N-Space, and Baldman games. A+.

I think everyone needs to lay off any and all hate for WotC for at least a fortnight for this.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
I'm really just hoping that this turns into an eye-opener for WotC in regards to their convention policies. I was a judge for Baldman this year, and being in Hall D with the board games and everything else - it was just a mess. I don't think we'll ever return to the days of the TSR Castle, but it would be nice to have the flagship product of the industry (right, wrong, or other, depending on your feelings) stood up proud for all to see and experience at GenCon. I'm excited for the future!

exile

First Post
Classy move on the part of Hasbro, WotC, Baldman, and anyone else involved. I didn't buy the All-Access Pass, so I won't personally benefit, but I approve wholeheartedly.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Interesting. I wonder if next year the All Access Badge will still be sold or if WotC will give swag to Baldman again.

Still, at 900$ a table, multiplied by I do not know how many tables, they could have afforded a microphone.

Bravo Wotc and Baldman games! I was still thinking since Gen Con how this mess could have happened. Add some walls and a mic for next year and I may do the All-Star access for 2016.

I'm so glad they heard the fans on this one, it was an important situation to address quickly and they did so.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Interesting. I wonder if next year the All Access Badge will still be sold or if WotC will give swag to Baldman again.

Still, at 900$ a table, multiplied by I do not know how many tables, they could have afforded a microphone.

I wonder if prices inside of the Hall to actually rent space went up? Last year Baldman was able to get a section of the large gaming hall cordoned off by the pull-out walls, thus providing solid walls on three side of the D&D game area (with the open fourth wall also having the faux castle pieces to help block the area off.) Presumably Baldman paid to rent that particular section for gaming (maybe even paying extra for the pull-out walls?), and which the prices for all the tickets and All-Access pass would help cover it (in addition for travel, hotel, supplies, shirts for the DMs, swag for the DMs, salary for Baldman employees etc. etc.) I also have no idea how much (if anything) WotC also contributed in money or donated swag to assist the in the running of the event.

But if WotC contributions dropped, and prices from GenCon went up... who knows whether some expenses (like a sound system) became the first ones to get dropped on Baldman's part if the available pool of funds was not as large? Who can say? Although perhaps they'll think that for next year a sound system wasn't as unnecessary?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I wonder if prices inside of the Hall to actually rent space went up? Last year Baldman was able to get a section of the large gaming hall cordoned off by the pull-out walls, thus providing solid walls on three side of the D&D game area (with the open fourth wall also having the faux castle pieces to help block the area off.) Presumably Baldman paid to rent that particular section for gaming (maybe even paying extra for the pull-out walls?), and which the prices for all the tickets and All-Access pass would help cover it (in addition for travel, hotel, supplies, shirts for the DMs, swag for the DMs, salary for Baldman employees etc. etc.) I also have no idea how much (if anything) WotC also contributed in money or donated swag to assist the in the running of the event.

But if WotC contributions dropped, and prices from GenCon went up... who knows whether some expenses (like a sound system) became the first ones to get dropped on Baldman's part if the available pool of funds was not as large? Who can say? Although perhaps they'll think that for next year a sound system wasn't as unnecessary?
I wouldn't be surprised WotC contributed money with the swag, but if Baldman's endeavor is barely profitable and they have to cut on microphones, the presence of D&D at GenCon might be in a bit more precarious than thought.

Remove ads

Remove ads