You Can Play TORMENT: TIDES OF NUMENERA Tomorrow (Sort Of)

I don't often cover video games, but the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment can't be ignored! Actually, I've mentioned this a few times before; Torment: Tides of Numenera is based on Monte Cook's Numenera world and roleplaying game. PC Games has an early access review of it - it's kind of mixed, although it is based on a slightly buggy Kickstarter backers beta version. The game launches on Steam Early Access tomorrow, in a version which contains about a fifth of the game. However, the review does indicate that "Planescape: Torment’s influence is pretty strong from the get-go", and so those who are fans of the original game by Black Isle should find this offering intriguing, albeit the game is "more high falutin, however; not as easy to digest as its predecessor."

I don't often cover video games, but the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment can't be ignored! Actually, I've mentioned this a few times before; Torment: Tides of Numenera is based on Monte Cook's Numenera world and roleplaying game. PC Games has an early access review of it - it's kind of mixed, although it is based on a slightly buggy Kickstarter backers beta version. The game launches on Steam Early Access tomorrow, in a version which contains about a fifth of the game. However, the review does indicate that "Planescape: Torment’s influence is pretty strong from the get-go", and so those who are fans of the original game by Black Isle should find this offering intriguing, albeit the game is "more high falutin, however; not as easy to digest as its predecessor."

Torment Tides of Numenera review 7.jpg

The full review is worth the read, and fans of Planescape: Torment or of Numenera might wish to check out the Early Access on Steam tomorrow. For other folks, it might be worth hanging on for a bit and waiting until the game's development gets a little further along.

"Playing Tides of Numenera feels like playing a great tabletop RPG, where the Game Master favours narrative over action-packed lootfests and dragon-slaying. That’s not surprising, since Numenera is actually the setting of a tabletop RPG, created by D&D game designer Monte Cook, which “focuses on story and ideas over mechanics.” The sometimes obtuse rules of D&D have been replaced with philosophical concepts and surrealism, making it a less fussy, though undeniably stranger, system.

In videogame terms, it’s more like an adventure game than a traditional RPG, with its long, meandering – but intriguing – conversations and esoteric puzzles.

Sometimes, it delves into the more conventional aspects of RPGs though – and right now it’s worse off for it. Take combat, for instance: plodding, turn-based fights absent excitement. Interactable objects dotted around the place might confer surprising bonuses on you or your party, requiring skill checks and a spot of luck, and conversations and story seep into battles with interesting results, but the actual act of fighting is slow and weightless and ultimately just a wee bit dull. Avoiding fights or trying to cut them short can be a lot more interesting – allowing you to be shrewd or clever rather than just violent."

Torment Tides of Numenera Early Access review.jpg

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
Backed it on kickstarter and cant wait for it to finally be released! First Divinity: Original Sin, then Pillars of Eternity, and now this, the CRPG renaissance is truly upon us.

Krypter

Explorer
> "more high falutin, however; not as easy to digest as its predecessor."
>not as easy to digest as Planescape: Torment

Dohohoho! Good one.

Having backed both this and bought Numenera, I can't wait for the weirdness. It'll be a Voyage to Arcturus.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Went all out with the Numenera Kickstarter, so I couldn't pass up backing my favorite game studio working with Mr. Cook in this endeavor. If this game did score high conventionally, I'd be worried that they didn't capture Numenera well enough - so good news to my ears!

Askaval30

Explorer
Backed this via Kickstarter and very excited... just wish they'd stop comparing, alluding and extolling this game as a successor to Planescape Torment: the setting is just so vastly different, I guess it just rubs my nostalgia the wrong way.

If they can recreated the same Operatic Story that made Torment what it was, they should just base it on its current merits... not shore it up with comparison to a great game that shares nothing of the lore, background and philosophy behind the Numenera setting.

smiteworks

Explorer
I backed the KS, but I'm going to try to resist playing the Early Access/Kickstarter Beta version because I want my first time through to be glorious and bug-free. That, and I find my time available for gaming extremely limited these days. I can't wait to play the full version once it is done though.

Remove ads

Remove ads