Do You Want 400 New Magic Items For Your D&D 5E Game?

If so, you're in luck - because Paradigm Concepts is holding a Kickstarter to do just that! "Forged in Magic: REFORGED adds over 400+ magic items to your 5E campaign – from magical weapons and armors, rings, and shields to mystical potions, magical staffs and a myriad of wondrous items. Forged in Magic: REFORGED doesn’t just provide a list of items and their properties, but many also have a backstory on its creation or history. While these stories are set in the Arcanis: World of Shattered Empires campaign setting, the rich detail can help you place these in any published setting or your own home made campaign." They've kindly sent me along an exclusive preview of the upcoming book.

If so, you're in luck - because Paradigm Concepts is holding a Kickstarter to do just that! "Forged in Magic: REFORGED adds over 400+ magic items to your 5E campaign – from magical weapons and armors, rings, and shields to mystical potions, magical staffs and a myriad of wondrous items. Forged in Magic: REFORGED doesn’t just provide a list of items and their properties, but many also have a backstory on its creation or history. While these stories are set in the Arcanis: World of Shattered Empires campaign setting, the rich detail can help you place these in any published setting or your own home made campaign." They've kindly sent me along an exclusive preview of the upcoming book.

The Kickstarter launched earlier today. $35 for the full-colour book (not counting shipping) or $15 for the PDF. It's 160-pages, soft back, in full-colour, and stretch goals increase the size and upgrade it to hardcover.

FiM Page_Enworld Exclusive_final.jpg

Kite474

Explorer
Why yes, yes I do!

On another note do we have a list of currently running Kickstarters that ENworld has covered? It's a little difficult to track at this point.

Especially for people like me who prefer to wait for the products to actually get released, so by the time the product hits the shops I've completely forgotten about them.

PCIHenry

Explorer
I'm glad this is something that interests you, but please keep in mind - if we don't get the funding for the book, you'll never see it in stores. This is not a "pre-order" project, but one that truly needs the funding in order to become a reality.

Looking at those items:

No. No, I don't. It's good to know about, but those items aren't very interesting to me. They are backstory-heavy (players don't care about backstory unless the DM crams it down their throats, which they shouldn't) and mechanically unimaginative. Who cares about +1 to attack and damage and an extra 10' of reach and 7 points of poison damage on a natural 20? I can make those kinds of items up myself. What I can't make up so easily are the genuinely creative stuff: paints that allow you to paint temporary holes in things, an ordinary-looking rock which does 1d6 damage when thrown (60' range) but never misses, a severed troll hand mounted on a pike staff which refuses to attack creature that are on fire, etc.

This product is definitely not for me.

dave2008

Legend
Looking at those items:

No. No, I don't. It's good to know about, but those items aren't very interesting to me. They are backstory-heavy (players don't care about backstory unless the DM crams it down their throats, which they shouldn't) and mechanically unimaginative. Who cares about +1 to attack and damage and an extra 10' of reach and 7 points of poison damage on a natural 20? I can make those kinds of items up myself. What I can't make up so easily are the genuinely creative stuff: paints that allow you to paint temporary holes in things, an ordinary-looking rock which does 1d6 damage when thrown (60' range) but never misses, a severed troll hand mounted on a pike staff which refuses to attack creature that are on fire, etc.

Hemlock, the more I read your post the more I wish you would write and adventure, supplement, or something. Why don't you get off your lazy-arse and start writing, you have a lot of great ideas to share!

sidonunspa

First Post
Looking at those items:

you mean like

A shrunken head that traps the soul, in the head?

What about an armor attachment that grants the wearer the ability to speak with all manner of horses?

Then there is that suit of Tourney Armor that makes one a "Favored of the Crowd"

Mindfire Potion might make you brilliant for a short time, might become incredibly addictive, and might slowly kill you

Aboleth Fetish allowing you to “borrow” one of that creatures abilities?

The ring of the stolen mind..... Might just drive YOU mad....

The Kirtle of Keepsakes, Locker of the Lost Mariner, Mockingbird Collar...

No one ever thought you not to judge a book by its cover?... or just one page :::winks:::

yes, I'm one of the people working on the project :)

Last edited by a moderator:

you mean like

A shrunken head that traps the soul, in the head?

What about an armor attachment that grants the wearer the ability to speak with all manner of horses?

Then there is that suit of Tourney Armor that makes one a "Favored of the Crowd"

Mindfire Potion might make you brilliant for a short time, might become incredibly addictive, and might slowly kill you

Aboleth Fetish allowing you to “barrow” one of that creatures abilities?

The ring of the stolen mind..... Might just drive YOU mad....

The Kirtle of Keepsakes, Locker of the Lost Mariner, Mockingbird Collar...

No one ever thought you not to judge a book by its cover?... or just one page :::winks:::

yes, I'm one of the people working on the project :)

Awesome. My attitude towards the project has just undergone a 360-degree revision.

(Just kidding, I mean 180-degrees. :))

Hemlock, the more I read your post the more I wish you would write and adventure, supplement, or something.

Heh. I'm working on a project--not a book but an online tool. I'll make sure to ping you when it's ready.

In the meantime you could check out one of my doppelgangers like Courtney Campbell (of hackslashmaster fame). We have mostly very similar attitudes towards 5E and D&D in general, except that he's about 10x better and more experienced than I am, and I'm more simulationist than he is.

Two of the three examples I gave came from his writings (because I was browsing his book on Treasure recently). The paint for temporary holes may have been my idea, or I may have stolen it from elsewhere, I'm not sure.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Not being terribly interested in magic items, I've only got one comment to make: Troll's Lament shouldn't claim to grant proficiency with unarmed strikes to its wearer, as every character already has that proficiency (via errata). It also seems redundant to state counting as a magical weapon as an effect of a magic item in the category of weapon - so that should either be cut as well, or the type of item changed to wondrous item because a gauntlet isn't a weapon in the first place and then the effect text is appropriate.

Okay, two comments: The fire bolt ability of the same item should either say that you can cast fire bolt using your Dexterity as your spellcasting ability, or it should be named something else because it functions differently to a significant degree (assuming that differences between that spell and the ability besides using Dexterity, such as the non-scaling damage, are intentional).

sidonunspa

First Post
Not being terribly interested in magic items, I've only got one comment to make: Troll's Lament shouldn't claim to grant proficiency with unarmed strikes to its wearer, as every character already has that proficiency (via errata). It also seems redundant to state counting as a magical weapon as an effect of a magic item in the category of weapon - so that should either be cut as well, or the type of item changed to wondrous item because a gauntlet isn't a weapon in the first place and then the effect text is appropriate.

Okay, two comments: The fire bolt ability of the same item should either say that you can cast fire bolt using your Dexterity as your spellcasting ability, or it should be named something else because it functions differently to a significant degree (assuming that differences between that spell and the ability besides using Dexterity, such as the non-scaling damage, are intentional).

Thank you...

but fire bolt is not a core SRD spell.. so we realy can't refer to it unless we creare our own version of the spell.

but good point on the proficiency!

and we introduce "weapon stats" for gaunlets in the book as well as the cestus

Remove ads

Remove ads