Trapdoor's PLAYBOOK Now For Android

Trapdoor Technology's Playbook software currently puts Pathfinder management on your iPad. Up until now, it has been iOS only, but they are now Kickstarting a version for Android tablets. For those not familiar, Playbook is a range of digital tools - rules library, character sheet, Paizo adventures, etc. and is subscription-based (the Kickstarter offers a year for $19). Other features designated as stretch goals include party messaging, sound effects from Syrinscape, and more.

Trapdoor Technology's Playbook software currently puts Pathfinder management on your iPad. Up until now, it has been iOS only, but they are now Kickstarting a version for Android tablets. For those not familiar, Playbook is a range of digital tools - rules library, character sheet, Paizo adventures, etc. and is subscription-based (the Kickstarter offers a year for $19). Other features designated as stretch goals include party messaging, sound effects from Syrinscape, and more.

c972286efc80f9d2d7dbd18a53d4208b_original.png

You may remember Trapdoor from their introduction as the designers of Codename: Morningstar, the licensed D&D 5E toolset which eventually got cancelled, along with their nearly half-million-dollar funding goal. This one's a little more modest, with a goal of just under $30K.

Barantor

Explorer
Honestly the picture of that table makes me shudder. I tend to want a minimalist table when I DM and often times do a lot of transcribing from the MM and DMs guide to paper just so I don't have to bring the book with me. I don't allow phones out with my players because if we are going to be together in the same room, there shouldn't be a screen in front of you. I guess I'm 'old school' like that when it comes to face-to-face games.

I do run online games, but with those we are using the computer itself to interact as well as some voice programs. I just have never understood the need for a phone or tablet at a physical gaming table.

ddaley

Explorer
I have to agree with this. As a DM, I do use Fantasy Grounds at the table, to a limited extent. I use it to display images and maps to the players and use it to keep track of combat statistics. However, the players do not use devices of any kind. We do not use FG for combat itself. We roll physical dice to hit and damage etc, and we generally use physical minis. I just track initiative order and damage in FG during combat.

Having the players sit around a table all using devices seems... strange.

Honestly the picture of that table makes me shudder. I tend to want a minimalist table when I DM and often times do a lot of transcribing from the MM and DMs guide to paper just so I don't have to bring the book with me. I don't allow phones out with my players because if we are going to be together in the same room, there shouldn't be a screen in front of you. I guess I'm 'old school' like that when it comes to face-to-face games.

I do run online games, but with those we are using the computer itself to interact as well as some voice programs. I just have never understood the need for a phone or tablet at a physical gaming table.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I agree although Ipad/tablets are much more table friendly than laptops. But with everything PF has out now and depending on what the group is using, the herolabs stuff and probably this as well is needed to keep up with all the modifiers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

It's no different to having a character sheet and a book. Just happens to be electronic.

Barantor

Explorer
It's no different to having a character sheet and a book. Just happens to be electronic.

The time I allowed phones I had to constantly remind people to pay attention. Also the whole point is to interact with each other so I stopped allowing them at the face-to-face games.

If I get a group that absolutely wants them I'll just DM online and then I don't have to change out of my pajamas.

I'm a minimalist in most things though, I bring a PHB, the adventure if it is a premade, notes if it isn't, some index cards, dm screen, dice and paper and pencil.

Koloth

First Post
I wonder about the missing player that needs both a laptop and a tablet.

Anyone know if this is loaded local on the device or does it require an always on Internet connection?

Tranquilis

Explorer
I agree although Ipad/tablets are much more table friendly than laptops. But with everything PF has out now and depending on what the group is using, the herolabs stuff and probably this as well is needed to keep up with all the modifiers.

How can one truly understand what is supposed to be a game one can do with pen and paper if a computer is necessary to figure part of it out?

Tranquilis

Explorer

I actually shuddered, too. Maybe it is because I pin blame on those devices for a lot of society's ills today.

I'm proud to be a Luddite.

Remove ads

Remove ads