Preview The ALCHEMIST Class From A TOUCH OF CLASS For 5E

A Touch of Class, the new 70-page full-color softcover class book for 5E, introduces seven new classes to your 5th Edition games, along with a range of associated subclasses, feats, spells, items, backgrounds, and more. The Kickstarter launches next week, on Monday, 3rd April. Here's a quick preview of a couple of pages of the Alchemist, one of the 7 classes featured (the others are the Cardcaster, Diabolist, Feywalker, Morph, Noble, and Occultist).

A Touch of Class, the new 70-page full-color softcover class book for 5E, introduces seven new classes to your 5th Edition games, along with a range of associated subclasses, feats, spells, items, backgrounds, and more. The Kickstarter launches next week, on Monday, 3rd April. Here's a quick preview of a couple of pages of the Alchemist, one of the 7 classes featured (the others are the Cardcaster, Diabolist, Feywalker, Morph, Noble, and Occultist).

UPDATE: THIS KICKSTARTER HAS NOW LAUNCHED!

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 11.14.22.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 11.14.38.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 11.14.48.png

SaveSave

ddaley

Explorer
Interesting. But, the ability to craft and throw a bomb in a single action seems odd. If one of my players plays this class, I think I'll allow them to craft their bombs during downtime (rest), and then use them during combat.

dave2008

Legend
Interesting. But, the ability to craft and throw a bomb in a single action seems odd. If one of my players plays this class, I think I'll allow them to craft their bombs during downtime (rest), and then use them during combat.
I tend to agree - treat them like ammunition

jamesjhaeck

Explorer
That choice makes total sense to me, and it doesn't affect balance in any significant way. As long as those basic bombs are essentially at-will attacks, the class works as intended.

mdusty

Explorer
Looks like bombs only hit a single target (no splash damage until 9th level). So until 9th level, it's basically a short ranged only longbow. I agree though, it does seem 'odd' to say that an alchemist can craft and throw the bomb as a single action. Maybe just house rule it to say that the 'bombs' are constructed beforehand and included in the alchemist supply kit and stays inert until the alchemist pulls the pin or something like that.

Also, will the extended Advanced Studies from another EN5sider article be included in this kickstarter? I think it was the mutation, illumination, and regeneration sciences. There was also a smokepowder science as well in one of the Keep Your Powder Dry articles too. I have a player that is playing the current alchemist version with the mutation advanced study.

dave2008

Legend
That choice makes total sense to me, and it doesn't affect balance in any significant way. As long as those basic bombs are essentially at-will attacks, the class works as intended.

Yes, but it could also would work as intended if you had to prepare the bombs first. It is not the mechanics factor for me, but the RP factor. I have a hard time visualizing someone mixing together volatile materials, corking them in a fragile container, and then throwing them; all in the same amount of time it takes someone else to draw, aim, and shoot an arrow.

ddaley

Explorer
I have a feeling that this feature was added for balance (to make it function more like a spell), but logically doesn't pan out. Maybe for balance, they could have this attack do residual damage on the following round... maybe half damage due to residual fire/acid/cold? But, remove the creation of the device during the attack segment.

Yes, but it could also would work as intended if you had to prepare the bombs first. It is not the mechanics factor for me, but the RP factor. I have a hard time visualizing someone mixing together volatile materials, corking them in a fragile container, and then throwing them; all in the same amount of time it takes someone else to draw, aim, and shoot an arrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesjhaeck

Explorer
Looks like bombs only hit a single target (no splash damage until 9th level). So until 9th level, it's basically a short ranged only longbow. I agree though, it does seem 'odd' to say that an alchemist can craft and throw the bomb as a single action. Maybe just house rule it to say that the 'bombs' are constructed beforehand and included in the alchemist supply kit and stays inert until the alchemist pulls the pin or something like that.

Also, will the extended Advanced Studies from another EN5sider article be included in this kickstarter? I think it was the mutation, illumination, and regeneration sciences. There was also a smokepowder science as well in one of the Keep Your Powder Dry articles too. I have a player that is playing the current alchemist version with the mutation advanced study.

The Sciences of Illumination, Mutation, and Regeneration will all appear in this book. The subclass from Keep Your Powder Dry isn't being reprinted here, however.

jamesjhaeck

Explorer

I totally agree. All I mean is that as long as the bombs essentially function as at-will attacks in combat, you can houserule the RP factor as much as you want without breaking the class. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads