RPG Crate Spotlight: Mythoard #25 and Jarrod Shaw Interview

It's clear the new management is definitely influencing the direction of Mythoard. Mythoard's February 2017 RPG crate includes something new: a hardcover. I also took some time to interview content manager Jarrod Shaw about the company's new direction.
<span data-offset-key="cao54-0-0" data-reactid=".0.2.3.0.3.0.2.0.0.$editor0.0.0.$cao54.$cao54.0:$c ao54-0-0"><span data-text="true" data-reactid=".0.2.3.0.3.0.2.0.0.$editor0.0.0.$cao54.$cao54.0:$c ao54-0-0.0">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xilFzdD1Pv8​

It's clear the new management is definitely influencing the direction of Mythoard. Mythoard's February 2017 RPG crate includes something new: a hardcover. I also took some time to interview content manager Jarrod Shaw about the company's new direction.

<span data-offset-key="cao54-0-0" data-reactid=".0.2.3.0.3.0.2.0.0.$editor0.0.0.$cao54.$cao54.0:$c ao54-0-0"><span data-text="true" data-reactid=".0.2.3.0.3.0.2.0.0.$editor0.0.0.$cao54.$cao54.0:$c ao54-0-0.0">[video=youtube;xilFzdD1Pv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xilFzdD1Pv8[/video]
[h=3]What's Inside
[/h]
[h=3]An Interview with Jarrod Shaw
[/h]Michael Tresca (MT): What is your service all about?

Jarrod Shaw (JS), Content Manager: We curate boxes of fine small press, independent and DIY tabletop RPG products. We wanna bring games to gamers and audience to creators.

MT: What kind of RPG material does it offer?

JS: We primarily focus on print and digital items like modules, short adventures, zines and magazines. Occasionally we will have dice, cards minis and other accessories. You can see every item we have ever had in our archive on the site.

MT: How did you get started?

JS: In the summer of 2014, my fiance received her first package from a new cosmetics subscription service. As we scoped out the contents, she commented on how it would be awesome if there was one for RPGs, as I am way more into those than make up, and it would be cool to open them together. A quick search and I found that there wasn't one. Within a couple months, on Nov 11, Mythoard took its first sign up. I ran the service from my house, in my spare time, and most of the boxes got packed on my kitchen table. "From our table to yours!"

MT: What's your opinion of the crate industry in general?

JS: For RPGs specifically, I think the subscription ecommerce model is perfect. I grew up rural Appalachia where we had to drive an hour plus, up hill both ways, to grab any gaming stuff. Something like a monthly sub box would have been amazing. I think these boxes are a growing facet in many industries, and a needed infrastructure as RPGs continue to grow. I know a bunch of new gamers that got into RPGs when they were given a RPG sub box as a gift. They are great gaming gateways.

MT: In your opinion, what do gamers most want from a crate service?

JS: Easy. Exclusive content.

MT: Anything you can share about the state of your subscriptions?

JS: Well over half of them have been with me since our first few boxes.

MT: What is your pricing model?

JS: $29 per month with free shipping in the US

MT: What are your tips for entrepreneurs looking to start a crate service?

JS: Don't. If you must, then don't have a background that's almost entirely comprised of manual labor. If you do, then study your tail off and/or find someone who knows their :):):):) to help you out, because there's a bunch of moving parts and a lot to keep up with. Don't be afraid to make a million mistakes, just be prepared, and eager, to own each and every one of them.

MT: Where can fans find out more about your service?

JS: Our website, http://www.mythoard.com or check out our Facebook.

MT: Mythoard was almost dead, but then something changed. Tell us how Mythoard was resurrected and your plans for the future.

JS: Its hard to really dump yourself into something, to struggle and claw tooth and nail everyday for it, for years, just to have it die. But it did. Mythoard most definitely died. Some nice folks saw the support and well wishes, the laments and sadness of our awesome members and suppliers when it died, and said hey, let us help you continue forth and see if we can't get Mythoard where it should be. Essentially, they bailed it out, took over the parts of the business that I sucked at, and have generously allowed me to stay on doing the stuff I am good at. We are basically in baby Lich form I think, building our strength whilst we plot our path forth to new discoveries of powers untold. For real though, there's some exciting just down the pipeline, so stay tuned! Thanks a bunch!

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Remove ads

Remove ads