The Journey To...The Chaoskampf

Have you ever wondered where the battle against chaos comes from? How did dragons first come to be the enemies of man? Role playing games embrace mythology and a seed was planted thousands of years ago in the tales of early man. The Chaoskampf or "Struggle against chaos" is a concept born from the studies of these mythologies, specifically the Proto Indo-European religions that evolved into modern beliefs. Although the Chaoskampf is only one part of these myths, it clearly has had an important influence on RPGs and the associated literature. Today we will focus on the myths of Sumeria and Babylon that give rise to a dragon whose name we know well.

A cultural hero slaying a serpent or dragon is a concept that goes back a very long way. One of the earliest versions of this myth regards two primordial beings, Abzu (Apsu) and Tiamat. Abzu is the deep water, often considered sacred in Sumerian and Babylonian culture. In Babylonian myth, he is the husband of Tiamat who is murdered by the younger gods to gain his power. This is the triggering moment where Tiamat and Marduk come to blows. A battle ensues and Marduk, champion of mankind, defeats Tiamat creating the world from her body. Thus order triumphs over chaos and the world is formed It should be remembered though that classical heroes are not always good people and this is essentially a story of matricide.

How would you use this? Certainly you could follow the traditional myth and monster formula. Glorantha does this pretty well as does the movie, the 13th Warrior , but I would embrace the original mythologies in more a direct way. What would your primordial world look like with literal gods walking around? Take Tiamat and Abzu back to their sea serpent roots, where they can struggle to keep the world a primal and chaotic place, free of the order imposed by their children. Perhaps even come at the struggle from the opposite way and have your heroes support Tiamat in seeking revenge on those who slew her mate. A more futuristic and less religious approach could have a universe where throwing off the yoke of an ancient race (or races) so humanity or other races can flourish. Both HALO and Mass Effect explore these ideas. On the other hand perhaps Faster Than Light (FTL) travel is the "Tiamat" that a group of heroic scientists seek to break, opening up the whole universe to humanity.

Although an ancient concept, the Chaoskampf pervades our cultures, mythologies, and game play. In some ways we already fight and re-fight this quest, so why not take a more direct hand? Go back to a time where chaos was just the primordial condition of the world and order had not quite given it shape. A cosmic war with real stakes on the one hand and less clear cut good and evil on the other may just spark a memorable campaign.

I think a quick mention of Michael Moorcock's various novels about the conflict between Law and Chaos might have been appropriate given his direct impact on D&D / RPGs.

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
I think a quick mention of Michael Moorcock's various novels about the conflict between Law and Chaos might have been appropriate given his direct impact on D&D / RPGs.

We had briefly mentioned Moorcock in the previous piece and wanted to focus on some other ideas. However, you are of course correct, Elric and company are certainly the embodiment of trying to bring some balance to order and chaos.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Michael Moorcock certainly wrote a good bit of that, but he got the idea from Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, which is a short little novel that gamers really should read.

Michael Moorcock certainly wrote a good bit of that, but he got the idea from Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, which is a short little novel that gamers really should read.

I've read it and loved it. Two of my favorite authors, Moorcock and Anderson. For me Anderson was more influential for Traveller, and Moorcock for D&D / fantasy RPGs in general.

E

Elderbrain

In the original mythology (not the D&D story featuring Io, Bahamut, etc.) Tiamat was the owner and presumably creator of the Tablets of Law, which argues against her being Chaotic. As to her being evil, she and her mate Apsu created the younger gods who proceeded to make so much noise that Apsu suggested slaying them... a suggestion Tiamat rebuffed. Only after Apsu was murdered by the younger gods did Tiamat take up arms against them in what seems to be a clear case of self-defense. Since Marduk and company broke up the original order of the universe - committing murder in the process - perhaps THEY should be considered Chaotic Evil...? :]

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I've read it and loved it. Two of my favorite authors, Moorcock and Anderson. For me Anderson was more influential for Traveller, and Moorcock for D&D / fantasy RPGs in general.
That book is clearly a strong influence on D&D both directly and indirectly through Moorcock. The D&D troll is straight out of that novel. The little party of Alianora the swanmay, Hugi the dwarf, and Holger the paladin, who's clearly the inspiration for the 1E paladin. The treatment of faerie appears in Q1: Demonweb Pits as one of the alternate worlds Llolth is trying to invade. It's a good read.

That book is clearly a strong influence on D&D both directly and indirectly through Moorcock. The D&D troll is straight out of that novel. The little party of Alianora the swanmay, Hugi the dwarf, and Holger the paladin, who's clearly the inspiration for the 1E paladin. The treatment of faerie appears in Q1: Demonweb Pits as one of the alternate worlds Llolth is trying to invade. It's a good read.

Yes. I liked Anderson's "The Broken Sword" for it's non Tolkien Elves as well. My early D&D influences would include Anderson, Tolkien, Moorcock, and Leiber among many others. For Traveller it would be Anderson, Norton, Piper, and Chandler. Also among many others :) I read fantasy and science fiction in large quantities and started playing D&D as a result of that and the Chainmail medieval miniature rules fantasy appendix. All of which contributed to multiple degrees in history and anthropology which have further influenced my games. Odd to wonder what direction I would have taken and what I'd be doing without all that now...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases