Fantasy Flight Games Announces Genesys RPG

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Each of the settings will also provide character templates, equipment and foes specific to each. The five settings in the core book will be Fantasy, Steampunk, Weird War, Modern Day and Science Fiction. Some of these are further broken down within their relevant section – for instance in the Science Fiction section looks at both hard science fiction as well as space operas.

A Dynamic Dice System
Genesys utilizes the Narrative Dice System which allows for creative storytelling that goes beyond success and failure, and allows every dice roll to impact the story in dramatic ways.

Every challenge your character faces will have them rolling some combination of Ability and Difficulty dice, known as a dice pool, to determine the results. Ability dice come from your character’s unique skills and characteristics, and provide Success and Advantage symbols. Difficulty dice come from the difficulty of the task your character is trying to achieve, and provide Failure and Threat symbols. Lockpicking an old, rusty door may only provide one Difficulty die, while hacking through a hi-tech firewall designed by a master codesmith may provide many more Difficulty dice. To succeed in whatever task your character is trying to accomplish, a player simply must roll more Success symbols than Failure symbols.

While this may seem simple, the addition of the Advantage and Threat symbols make the results far from binary. Rolling more Advantage symbols yields some positive side effect, regardless of success or failure of the task. This can include things like finding unexpected cover in a firefight or remaining unnoticed while hacking a computer. Meanwhile, rolling Threat means some negative side effect has occurred. Maybe your character drops their weapon after a successful attack or takes longer than expected to track their quarry through the wilderness.

When your character is an expert in the field, or when a task is truly difficult, Ability dice and Difficulty dice can be upgraded to Proficiency and Challenge dice, respectively. Proficiency dice, like Ability dice, feature Success and Advantage symbols, but also include the Triumph symbol. The Triumph symbol not only represents a Success, but also provides a massive side benefit to your action. This might be inflicting a critical injury on a foe or triggering a powerful ability on a weapon. Inversely, the Challenge die features Failure and Threat symbols, but also includes the powerful Despair symbol. Rolling this icon not only counts as a Failure, but indicates a significant bane or side effect to your action. Your character may fall off the rope they are trying to climb, or run out of ammo in the middle of a gunfight. These effects can drastically impact the course of your game, and make every dice roll an exciting event.

Your dice pool can further be modified by Boost and Setback dice. Boost dice feature Success and Advantage symbols, and are added to your roll when the circumstances around the task you are trying to achieve are beneficial. Maybe your character has hacked a computer like this before, or they have ample time to complete the task; your GM will likely add Boost dice to your pool. Setback dice, on the other hand, feature Failure and Threat symbols, and represent complications to the task at hand. Maybe your character is trying to act in the dark, or they don’t have the resources they need.

With the variance provided by these clever Advantage and Threat icons, the possibilities of results are limited only by you and your GM’s creativity.

More information can be found out about Genesys on the Fantasy Flight Games website.
SaveSave

Last edited by a moderator:

RSIxidor

Adventurer
So, wouldn't surprise me to see some sourcebooks coming out based on some of their bigger IPs. Android was mentioned in the article as a potential setting to play in. Runebound/Terrinoth (where Descent: Journeys in the Dark takes place) seems like an obvious choice for a fantasy setting. I'd be surprised if they revived the Dust setting for this but it fits the weird war concept. Arkham Horror is a likely candidate for a horror setting, though they didn't specifically mention that flavor. I'd be mildly amused if they used Twilight Imperium and Rex: Final Days of an Empire to ground a sci-fi setting in. Maybe we'll see licensed sourcebooks as well, Xcom has been one I'd always thought would make a fun RPG.

Still, I'm glad they're bringing the system out setting agnostic as well. Nice to have another set of tools.

SolidPlatonic

First Post
Custom Dice, Again?

Ugg, I get that they don't want to use Star Wars symbols, but could they at least have made them similar so that we didn't have to buy dice again?

Last edited by a moderator:

oknazevad

Explorer
This is not entirely surprising. I was expecting something like this once the Warhammer license ended. And I agree that they'll use Terrinoth for a fantasy setting. It will definitely be interesting to see what other settings they come up with.

imagineGod

Legend
Ugg, I get that they don't want to use Star Wars symbols, but could they at least have made them similar so that we didn't have to buy dice again?

Like, Jester David already said, the percentage of symbols and their types are the same like those of Star Wars FFG. The difference is just the flavor:

The Star Wars "Jedi wings" symbol of Advantages is now the arrowhead (arrow = advantage)
The Star Wars "Imperial" symbol of Threat is now a circular ringtrap (trap = threat)

The Star Wars "Starburst" remains the same Success symbol.
The Star Wars "Caltrops" for Failure remains a caltrop but now with 4 spikes instead of 3.

The most obvious are the Triumph and Despair symbols in the new system.
They are both just:

A big circle round the basic Success (starburst) for epic Success
A big circle round the basic Failure (4-spiked caltrop) for epic Failure.

View attachment 85600

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I never could get to grips with what the dice meant when playing FFG's WFRP. I do love FFG's production values, but sometimes I feel their boardgame expertise can over-engineer their RPGs.

SolidPlatonic

First Post
PHP:
OH, I get that the symbols are equivalent. But if you haven't played SWRPG but are using the SWRPG dice with Genesys, you'll have to do a translation in your head every time.

I ran the SWRPG starter boxes for several groups, and the problem they had was which dice to use and the symbols, anyhow. Now imagine you are a new/casual player, and the the Genesys book says you get a <Genesys Sybmol> advantage but you rolled a <SWRPG advantage>. It could get confusing.

Further, the various symbols could easily be mistaken: failure SWRPG looks like Advantage Genesys. Threat SWRPG kinda looks like Triumph Genesys, etc.

So the $100 I spent on getting all the dice I would need is basically down the shoots if I want to play a fantasy RPG with Genesys.

imagineGod

Legend
PHP:
OH, I get that the symbols are equivalent. But if you haven't played SWRPG but are using the SWRPG dice with Genesys, you'll have to do a translation in your head every time.

I ran the SWRPG starter boxes for several groups, and the problem they had was which dice to use and the symbols, anyhow. Now imagine you are a new/casual player, and the the Genesys book says you get a <Genesys Sybmol> advantage but you rolled a <SWRPG advantage>. It could get confusing.

Further, the various symbols could easily be mistaken: failure SWRPG looks like Advantage Genesys. Threat SWRPG kinda looks like Triumph Genesys, etc.

So the $100 I spent on getting all the dice I would need is basically down the shoots if I want to play a fantasy RPG with Genesys.

To be honest, the Genesys symbols are better but could be made even better with a few simple fixes.

Genesys Advantage should just be a normal checkbox tick for correct.
Genesys Threat should just be a question mark for the unexpected bad things to happen.

View attachment 85601

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
So, wouldn't surprise me to see some sourcebooks coming out based on some of their bigger IPs. Android was mentioned in the article as a potential setting to play in. Runebound/Terrinoth (where Descent: Journeys in the Dark takes place) seems like an obvious choice for a fantasy setting. I'd be surprised if they revived the Dust setting for this but it fits the weird war concept. Arkham Horror is a likely candidate for a horror setting, though they didn't specifically mention that flavor. I'd be mildly amused if they used Twilight Imperium and Rex: Final Days of an Empire to ground a sci-fi setting in. Maybe we'll see licensed sourcebooks as well, Xcom has been one I'd always thought would make a fun RPG.

Still, I'm glad they're bringing the system out setting agnostic as well. Nice to have another set of tools.

Terrinoth would be great; surprised that didn't immediately take over for the WFRP game once that license ended anyway, so this makes a lot of sense to do it now. Android makes a ton of sense, too. To the point that I'd be a little surprised if these aren't already in development and will become the next big project if the game launches successfully (and/or one of them will be announced as showing up almost immediately after launch to keep the game in people's minds).

Arkham I question, only because there's a ton of Cthulhu stuff out there already, and if they didn't mention Horror up front, I'd bet they are going to hold off on that one until much later, if at all.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases