D&D's Lineage: The Top 100 RPGs

Game Informer's recent issue featured a new ranking, the Top 100 RPGs, but the list was really about role-playing video games. Tabletop gamers know that there's at least one game that should be #1.

[h=3]The Family Tree[/h]Dungeons & Dragons has been strongly influential in a wide variety of gaming mediums, from gamebooks to live action role-playing games to video games. Despite their shared ancestry, video games' popularity has largely eclipsed the tabletop industry, such that they are often cited as a "role-playing game" -- even though at this point, being a computer or console RPG (CRPG) doesn't necessarily have a player actually roleplay. Phil Hartup explains on NewsStatesman:

The difference is such now that when people talk about a video game having RPG elements they will typically be referring to persistent stats and the gradual improvement of abilities and items for the character. This speaks to how distant video game and table top philosophies have become - you could easily have a table top RPG with none of those elements yet be in no doubt it was an RPG. In video games the sine qua non of the role-playing game - taking on the role of a character who is not you - is such a given that it no longer defines the genre.

So what exactly did tabletop role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons bequeath upon its video game descendants?
[h=3]What Makes a RPG a RPG?[/h]Dungeons & Dragons codified fantasy into a system and hierarchy that lends itself to programming. Jon Peterson laid out the three mini-games that make up D&D in Playing at the World:

Another key ingredient in Dungeons & Dragons is dramatic pacing, achieved by transitioning between three different game modes: a mode of exploration, a mode of combat and a mode of logistics. Time flows differently in each of these modes, and by rationing the modes carefully a referee guides the players through satisfying cycles of tension, catharsis and banality that mimic the ebb and flow of powerful events.

Wikipedia breaks down just what distinguishes video game RPGs from other types of games: story & setting, exploration & quests, items & inventory, character actions & abilities, experience & levels, combat, and interface & graphics. Aligning these with what constitutes the core of D&D play, they can be categorized as exploration (story & setting, exploration & quests, interface & graphics), combat (combat), and logistics (items & inventory, character actions & abilities, experience & levels).

Hexcrawl-style tabletop exploration has come back into fashion, but only recently has computing power reached a point where the illusion of limitless exploration can be feasibly portrayed. Prior to that, storytelling in a walled-off setting discouraged too much exploration, a challenge massive multi-players face even today.

Combat has always been part of D&D, going back to its wargaming roots. As such, this is perhaps the easiest to simulate with CRPGs but at times the least creative. Players are hedged in by what the game allows; admittedly, those choices have expanded exponentially as CRPGs have become more complex.

Logistics in particular is where video games excel, managing inventory, magic items, and character advancement so that players don't have to (or, as can sometimes happen in tabletop play, they forget). This shift tends to emphasize certain aspects of tabletop play over others. In a theater of the mind style game, where imagination takes precedence, onerous tasks like inventory management and mapping a dungeon are de-emphasized. In a video game, these elements can be automated and much more accessible. In fact, character advancement and customization has come to define what constitutes a RPG in the video game medium.

Additionally, CRPGs have been strongly influenced by two divergent styles:

Though sharing fundamental premises, Western RPGs tend to feature darker graphics, older characters, and a greater focus on roaming freedom, realism, and the underlying game mechanics (e.g. "rules-based" or "system-based"); whereas Eastern RPGs tend to feature brighter, anime-like or chibi graphics, younger characters, turn-based or faster-paced action gameplay, and a greater focus on tightly-orchestrated, linear storylines with intricate plots (e.g. "action-based" or "story-based"). Further, Western RPGs are more likely to allow players to create and customize characters from scratch, and since the late 1990s have had a stronger focus on extensive dialog tree systems (e.g. Planescape: Torment). On the other hand, Japanese RPGs tend to limit players to developing pre-defined player characters, and often do not allow the option to create or choose one's own playable characters or make decisions that alter the plot.

There are other differences too, like the design of characters and the relative seriousness of the character ( Japanese RPGs sometimes have "kawaisa" or "cute" characters). The distinction is largely artificial at this point, as both genres have borrowed from each other, with Western RPGs using more linear plots and JRPGs becoming more cinematic like their Western counterparts.

The one thing both of these classifications lack is a player's limitless imagination in which "anything can be attempted." CRPGs still can't reach that level of immersion, which brings us back to Game Informer's Top 100 list.
[h=3]Get Off My Lawn![/h]So what game claimed the title of "#1 RPG"? Skyrim. But Game Informer had one more surprise in store.

There was an additional entry, #0 -- Dungeons & Dragons:

The gaming world owes a great debt to Dungeons & Dragons, from the character-driven video games of the last four decades to the countless sprawling tabletop role-playing games it spawned. Co-created by Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax, this seminal game was born from the miniatures wargaming scene, but introduced the idea of singular characters that moved through a dangerous world while a dungeon master controlled the flow of action, giving structure to imaginative narrative play in a brand-new way. The game captured the imaginations of player around the world. Its many subsequent editions, offshoots, and descendants continue to do to this day. Dungeons & Dragons' influence and impact is hard to overstate. Most early video game RPGs were direct attempts to emulate the D&D concept in digital form. The fantasy milieu of D&D, itself inspired by works like J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and Robert E. Howard's Conan tales, practically defined computer RPGs in the early years. Character leveling and progression, exploration and questing, a defined statistical ruleset, randomness through dice rolls or number generation, and narrative player choice all trace their roots here. Our ranking of RPG is focused on video games, but it's impossible to know if any of these games would exist without the root experience that D&D introduced: friends gathered around a table, laughing, and sharing in an adventure.

D&D has finally gotten a respectful nod from the grandchildren it sired. You could easily write an entire book about this topic -- so I did: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Von Ether

Legend
This is one of my pet peeves, the lazy dropping of the "C" from CRPG and how in the last 7 years "TT" has been bolted on to RPGs.

What rubs me even more raw is when I offer up a correction, I only get a shrug .

Brodie

Explorer
Hrm. I thought this was going to be an actual list and wanted to see where certain games fell (though I wondered if there are actually a hundred different games worth putting on a list). The article is still a good read.

Ever since I got into role playing games, I always worry that when I'm talking to someone that's into video games they'll think I mean a video game rpg if I say 'rpg.' Some non-(video) gamers think only of the video game versions. Others know the difference and always jump to thinking I play D&D - which I do, but I always inform them there's different games out there.

For better or worse, the press D&D got in the 80s helped put it in the minds of today's pop culture.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I've played both tabletop and video game RPGs since I was a kid in the late 80's and this is the first time I've ever heard the term "CRPG". Game Informer is a video game magazine; it strikes me as redundant for them to slap on a letter to the genre name just to identify what medium they're referring to.

It's always been my favorite piece of trivia at how many video game RPGs owe their existence to D&D, either directly (Wizardry, Ultima, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls) or indirectly through aping those same games (Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey). I just ran a few D&D workshops at my work and we had a lot of new tabletop players who had played a lot of these games. I don't subscribe to GI anymore but I'd love to read that list and I'm glad that it gave the shoutout to D&D at the end.

I really do miss the turn/menu-based JRPG genre. Not even the indie scene is really making games in this genre much anymore.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've played both tabletop and video game RPGs since I was a kid in the late 80's and this is the first time I've ever heard the term "CRPG".

That's not my experience. I've been hearing that term for decades. I think it's a pretty common term. Even Steam uses CRPG as a category:

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/CRPG/#p=0&tab=TopSellers

As does GoG:

https://www.gog.com/mix/must_play_classic_crpgs

The term originated in the 1970s, according to this article:

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/56612/crpg

Von Ether

Legend
As a sidenote if I find a new player done CRPGs or MMORPGs, I explain that video games are like movies.

The special effects are neat, but at some point, you see where time and budget ran out.

Doing a RPG is more like reading a book. Your imagination has no budget and a good GM never has invisible walls that keep you penned into a play space.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
That's not my experience. I've been hearing that term for decades. I think it's a pretty common term. Even Steam uses CRPG as a category:

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/CRPG/#p=0&tab=TopSellers

As does GoG:

https://www.gog.com/mix/must_play_classic_crpgs

The term originated in the 1970s, according to this article:

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/56612/crpg

I think I may have heard of it before now that I think about it, but mostly in the context of really old-school computer-based RPG's such as the Gold Box games. I guess I'd only ever thought of it as a computer term... I'd never heard it used to refer to console video games. I've always been more of a console gamer than a computer gamer though, to be fair.

Also, that's not really GOG using the term, but a GOG user who created their own list of games. GOG's own store lists the genre only as RPG. Which makes sense, again, it's not like GOG is selling copies of Tomb of Horror or Keep on the Borderlands.

I tend to engage MMO players through a shared gameplay heritage first and foremost and ease them into the actual role-playing aspect (unless they're someone who appears to be naturally suited to it). I've found new gamers take the role-playing the way most people take to public speaking; it's the easiest thing in the world to actually do, but there's a lot of nerves and internal censoring to get over first.

Rygar

Explorer
This is one of my pet peeves, the lazy dropping of the "C" from CRPG and how in the last 7 years "TT" has been bolted on to RPGs.

What rubs me even more raw is when I offer up a correction, I only get a shrug .

It's not lazy, it's very intentional.

About 7-10 years ago video games diverged hard from RPG's. Electronic Arts acquired Bioware and after they released Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect, EA pushed them to move away from CRPG to more action oriented gameplay or straight up Shooter gameplay instead of the RPG type gameplay that's centered on a Character and the separation of Character skill versus Player skill. Bethesda acquired Fallout and pushed their Elder Scrolls and Fallout properties the same direction, Player based skill and minimize or eliminate the RPG aspects. But "Geek" sells now, and they wanted to capitalize on that so they kept branding their games as "RPG" instead of accurately branding them Action-Adventure or Shooter.

There was initial pushback, both video gamers and certain RPG sites called them out on it. As this was the time period where Publishers started really directing "Games Journalism", game sites started pushing the narrative that these games were "RPGs" and started dropping the "C" in CRPG because that was fuel for the fire. When they called them CRPGs people pointed out all of the components of Pen and Paper RPGs that were being dropped and derided by these developers as the reason why they weren't CRPG's, game journalists doubled down and started dropping the "C" and claimed "RPG's have evolved!". They then started referring to PnP RPG's as TTRPG's or PnPRPG's to lead the reader to believe that the games being produced by EA and Bethesda were RPG's and Pen and Paper RPGs were something else.

Then something serious started happening about 5 years ago.

• Of course, as well all know here, D&D started resurging and Pathfinder was continuing to make tremendous strides
  • Boardgames also resurged
  • In the video game space Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin made huge splashes, and in the process demonstrated a lot of the things gaming journalists had been claiming to be very wrong.
  • Gamers started catching on in droves to the sad state of "Journalism" in video games. Journalists gave high marks to outright broken or fairly bad games, and Gamers called them on it. Review aggregator sites let people do statistics on reviews and found major discrepencies in how reviews were handled for Publishers versus Indies. Streamers started becoming huge and gave much more balanced information.

So claiming that these games are RPG's started becoming a liability rather than a way to sell units to people before they realized they were mislabeled because people were now experienced with RPG's and boardgames and games journalists no longer have any ability to influence the customer base. EA started shifting from calling Mass Effect an RPG to an Action game series. Bethesda, of course, continues to double down on claiming that they make RPG's while removing anything that is even remotely a component of an RPG, but they're in trouble now as well as most discussions amongst Gamers tend to have a fair number of people pointing out that Skyrim isn't an RPG.

So the whole thing was calculated in order to push the narrative that EA and Bethesda had "Evolved RPG's" and to avoid getting caught in an argument they couldn't win when people leveraged the "CRPG" argument in response to declaring Action-Adventure and Shooters the "New RPGs".

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, at least the article squarely acknowledges my pet peeve: CRPGs aren't about roleplaying at all, hence it's an annoying misnomer.
Since the term has apparently stuck, it's causing a lot of confusion in the minds of the uninformed majority.
And yes, it gets even worse if you drop the 'C'.

Von Ether

Legend
It's not lazy, it's very intentional.

About 7-10 years ago video games diverged hard from RPG's. Electronic Arts acquired Bioware and after they released Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect, EA pushed them to move away from CRPG to more action oriented gameplay or straight up Shooter gameplay instead of the RPG type gameplay that's centered on a Character and the separation of Character skill versus Player skill. Bethesda acquired Fallout and pushed their Elder Scrolls and Fallout properties the same direction, Player based skill and minimize or eliminate the RPG aspects. But "Geek" sells now, and they wanted to capitalize on that so they kept branding their games as "RPG" instead of accurately branding them Action-Adventure or Shooter.

There was initial pushback, both video gamers and certain RPG sites called them out on it. As this was the time period where Publishers started really directing "Games Journalism", game sites started pushing the narrative that these games were "RPGs" and started dropping the "C" in CRPG because that was fuel for the fire. When they called them CRPGs people pointed out all of the components of Pen and Paper RPGs that were being dropped and derided by these developers as the reason why they weren't CRPG's, game journalists doubled down and started dropping the "C" and claimed "RPG's have evolved!". They then started referring to PnP RPG's as TTRPG's or PnPRPG's to lead the reader to believe that the games being produced by EA and Bethesda were RPG's and Pen and Paper RPGs were something else.

Then something serious started happening about 5 years ago.

• Of course, as well all know here, D&D started resurging and Pathfinder was continuing to make tremendous strides
  • Boardgames also resurged
  • In the video game space Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin made huge splashes, and in the process demonstrated a lot of the things gaming journalists had been claiming to be very wrong.
  • Gamers started catching on in droves to the sad state of "Journalism" in video games. Journalists gave high marks to outright broken or fairly bad games, and Gamers called them on it. Review aggregator sites let people do statistics on reviews and found major discrepencies in how reviews were handled for Publishers versus Indies. Streamers started becoming huge and gave much more balanced information.

So claiming that these games are RPG's started becoming a liability rather than a way to sell units to people before they realized they were mislabeled because people were now experienced with RPG's and boardgames and games journalists no longer have any ability to influence the customer base. EA started shifting from calling Mass Effect an RPG to an Action game series. Bethesda, of course, continues to double down on claiming that they make RPG's while removing anything that is even remotely a component of an RPG, but they're in trouble now as well as most discussions amongst Gamers tend to have a fair number of people pointing out that Skyrim isn't an RPG.

So the whole thing was calculated in order to push the narrative that EA and Bethesda had "Evolved RPG's" and to avoid getting caught in an argument they couldn't win when people leveraged the "CRPG" argument in response to declaring Action-Adventure and Shooters the "New RPGs".

I'm bookmark this post right here for my next "C is missing in the RPG" discussion.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases