Fun And The Flow In Games

If you're going to design games, or GM RPGs, it helps to understand a little bit about what makes games enjoyable. Game publishers often say in their guidelines for designers "game must be fun," but I've always found this to be useless because fun means different things to different people.

If you're going to design games, or GM RPGs, it helps to understand a little bit about what makes games enjoyable. Game publishers often say in their guidelines for designers "game must be fun," but I've always found this to be useless because fun means different things to different people.

I used to ask gamers who like to play chess, whether they regarded it as fun; about half do and half don't. It may be engaging, it may be enjoyable, it may be fascinating, but it's not fun for many of them. I like to use the terms enjoyable or interesting. I think that fun comes from the people you play games with, and the circumstances. So you can have fun playing Monopoly, even though Monopoly is a really dull game and not well-designed. Certainly there are games that are intended to be funny, often party games, but that's funny, not fun.

"When baseball is no longer fun, it's no longer a game." -- Joe DiMaggio

We can still ask, though, why do people enjoy some games more than others? A Czech researcher who worked in the USA identified “the positive aspects of human experience - joy, creativity, the process of total involvement with life I call flow." For game purposes people have an optimal experience when they are challenged, but not challenged too much. If somebody has low skills in the game and the challenges are high they're going to be anxious. If they're very skillful and there's not much challenge in a game they're going to be bored, it's too easy. You want people to be in that Flow area where the challenge matches the skills.

That's partly done with levels in Dungeons & Dragons. The deeper you go in a traditional dungeon, the tougher it is, so as your characters get better they go deeper into the dungeon. It doesn't make sense from a "realistic" point of view, but it works, and the technique has been adopted by video games. As you play the video game, and you become more skilled and your character gains capabilities, the levels become more difficult. This keeps players in the Flow.

Raph Koster characterized games as learning in a safe environment: players learn and they become better as they play the game, so the game has to adjust. If it's a GMed game, the GM has to adjust the challenge level. If it's a video game, then the designers have to provide adjustable challenge. If it's a tabletop game, and the player is playing with other people who are also getting better at the game, the challenge will increase.

But for good pacing you need to vary the challenge so that sometimes there's a lot of tension, because it's difficult, and sometimes the player can relax because it's relatively easy. You want ups and downs in games, just as in life, because that makes the ups more delicious.

Another time I'll talk about MDA and "8 Kinds of Fun."

Reference:
Csikszentmikalyi: Flow: the Psychology of Optimal Experience (1990), p. xi
Raph Koster: A Theory of Fun for Game Design (2010, 2013)

contributed by Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
Defining what "fun" is, is one of the hardest questions in Game Design. And no Game Designer should ever be afraid to answer the question "What is fun about this game?", they should be excited to answer it.

I once talked to a guy who wanted to be a game designer, who had a computer game that he wanted to make, and asked him "But what is fun about it?", and he got really angry about it. I think because he didn't really have an answer, and it frustrated him.

I attend Spiel in Germany every year. You can see a lot of unpublished games at this convention, try them out, and have a chat with the designer. Some of the biggest mistakes that I often see in game design is:

-The game lacks focus on a central theme
-The game is trying to incorporate too many computer game ideas into a board- or card-game format
-The game features too many bits and pieces
-The game has too complex rules and/or too many exceptions to rules
-The game has too much maintenance/upkeep in between rounds (in other words, too many things you need to remember to do each round)
-The game has a too complex action economy (too many actions on your turn)
-The game's mechanics are not a cohesive whole
-The game mostly just has cool artwork
-The game is an inferior clone of an already existing popular game
-The game has too much number crunching, or the numbers are substituted by a ton of tokens
-The game does not have a clear definition of what is supposed to make it fun

S

Sunseeker

http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/rpg-optimization-

[h=2]Optimizing the Experience for Maximal Immersion and Achieving Maximal Flow State[/h]

Maximal?
latest

JeffB

Legend
Baseball is about 5 minutes of fun encapsulated in hours of snoozefest. Thank god DiMaggio did not make RPGs.

Bill Reich

First Post
Baseball is about 5 minutes of fun encapsulated in hours of snoozefest. Thank god DiMaggio did not make RPGs.

NFL football is _documented_ to have eleven minutes of action in an endless telecast. Comparing it to sevens Rugby, it is impossible to understand why anyone watches it.

fantasmamore

Explorer
Recently I heard an episode of System Mastery podcast where they compared an RPG where it was difficult to hit an opponent, with soccer, where the two teams play for 90 minutes and they might not even score once. I am a huge soccer fan. That made me think of how differently people with different culture might see the same game. Every time an opponent takes the ball I fear of that one mistake that can end the game and every time my team attacks I hope that it is going to be the deceive moment. A goal is not just one point.
So yes, fun is different for everyone. Is it fun when everybody at the table makes jokes or when you have this dramatic moment when your character's life depends from a single die roll or the balance between jokes and dramatic moments? All of them. If the system is too tactical or free-form, if the bad guy is caricature of an evil mage or a well thought person with motives and weaknesses, everything is fun if the people around the table have a good time and most importantly if they can remember, years after the game, that one moment when something extraordinary happened...

Hussar

Legend
I'm not sure about the "bits and pieces" thing to be honest. There's a whole sub-genre of board wargames that are nothing but masses of bits and pieces. Advanced Squad Leader anyone? :D Heck, my Eclipse game has a metric buttload of bits and pieces and that's not counting the add ons.

Never minding deck building games. How many cards are there in Magic now?

Sometimes lots of bits and pieces are a good thing.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads