Where Do They Get Their Literacy?

Today I bring up a topic usually glossed over in worldbuilding for gaming: Literacy. It’s a skill that we take for granted, given that you are reading this column on a website. Literacy wasn’t always historically widespread, however, and a crafty GM can contrive clever situations hinging upon it.

Today I bring up a topic usually glossed over in worldbuilding for gaming: Literacy. It’s a skill that we take for granted, given that you are reading this column on a website. Literacy wasn’t always historically widespread, however, and a crafty GM can contrive clever situations hinging upon it.

The simplest and most straightforward ploy is of course confronting PCs with a puzzle that requires reading to solve. While it’s not strictly a D20 systems game, the Warhammer Fantasy Role Playing game does in fact account for literacy in its profession systems, and some of the more combat-able careers do not grant the player character literacy. This gives the party a decent reason to keep that scribe around, and of course the player with literacy might not be telling the entire truth with regards to messages they read and translate for the party.

The situation of literacy is often more complex than just a literate/illiterate split. Take, for example, Greek and Latin being used as academic languages. A tradesman would be able to read, write and keep his ledger, but he might not actually be able to read and understand treatises.

Writing systems can also compound the issue of literacy - Mandarin Chinese uses logograms instead of an alphabet or an abjad. Learning to recognize 2000 words places a user at functional literacy, and 3000 characters will allow a user to read a typical newspaper. Scholars may have to memorize up to 10000 characters to be conversant in their fields.

A writing system like this places a high burden upon learners, and the Korean emperor Sejong developed the Hangeul alphabet to improve literacy rates through the lower classes, and designed it so it could be taught with little education required. Hangeul was suppressed by succeeding Joseon-era emperors, and eventually by the Japanese, who colonized Korea in a forced occupation from 1910 to 1946, but it is presently the official writing system of both Koreas.

Other issues may prove an obstacle even for literate characters. Writing systems and spelling change over time, as students of Chaucerian English will no doubt testify. A modern English reader would have difficulty understanding Carolingian miniscule, let alone Merovingian chancery hand. Want to have PCs recreate Gandalf’s search in the Gondorian archives? Let’s hope their resident academic knows historical scripts.

Of course literacy isn’t going to do much if there isn’t anything to read, which brings us to scribes, libraries and printing presses. A pre-print society will have to rely upon scribes or magic to copy texts, which means that book ownership may be rare and dependent on the reader’s income. In this situation a village of literate folk may instead pool their resources and establish a tiny library, with a retired local farmer as a scribe - his sons being employed in running the farm. Such a character is referenced in the novel Jonathan Strange and Mister Norrell, as being the last keeper of the King’s Book - the only extant tome written by the King of the North.

A post-print society is going to have rather more accessible reading, but that brings up the issue of control - would the local government be okay with all kinds of texts being circulated? What about seditious pamphlets or criticisms of a monarch? French libelles in the 18th century painted Queen Marie Antoinette as a profligate spender and a promiscuous adulterer, culminating in accusations of lesbianism and incest with her son.

Such texts could be an obstacle for a good-aligned PC party. What would they do if civilians around them, taken in by polemic texts, start refusing them passage through villages and towns? What if the libel was intended to destabilize their patron monarch?

contributed by M.W. Simmes

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
One of the things I enjoyed when playing Rifts was the assumption that few people were fully literate, such that even PCs would often only have literacy skills at lower percentage levels (and that even more literate characters could fail to fully parse difficult technical or pre-Rifts texts that gave penalties to rolls). While it could make things difficult at times, it made for an interesting challenge outside of the ordinary (especially as a voracious reader myself). Beyond OD&D, communication between characters in speech and writing has never been much of a challenge at the table (the blessing and bane of the Common Tongue), but that also takes away a fun challenge.

In 3e, there was the ribbon about Barbarians not being automatically literate, but that was solved by multiclassing. I wonder, especially in 5e, if literacy could be made a tool proficiency that some classes and backgrounds get and that others could train for the way they do as for any other proficiency (I can even imagine a character with expertise in literacy shining in certain moments of a campaign). Certain small adjustments might have to be made in character creation so as to not overly benefit or penalize characters, but that’s how I’d consider it. Of course, even a non-literate character would still be able to manage basic numbers, symbols, and signs (they could order an ale and follow a map, just not read a scroll or parse a contract).

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
I always thought the society that arises in A Canticle of Liebowitz was an interesting take on literacy. How science and the very act of reading became a boogeyman that had to be prevented at all costs.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
In Primeval Thule, characters are assumed to be illiterate untiless they make a skill check during chargen. The DC is based on their class, and I had a group once where every single member failed the check. It adds an interesting level of complication to a campaign.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Great article. It has always bothered me that language and, even more so literacy, have often been treated as an after thought in gaming as well as film and TV. I find the matter of literacy can do much to enhance the suspension of disbelief in an RPG combined with fluency in languages. The key is to keep the rules at the table playable. I have been working on my own 5E house rules on the subject through the use of proficiencies. I am contemplating different base DCs for different languages, and looking at both class and background as ways to refine a PC's literacies and linguistic skills. A work still in progress :)

I am myself trilingual, but my fluency in English is much better than my fluency in French, and my mother tongue of Dutch is quite weak because our family came to Canada when I was a wee tot. So my personal experience in forms me on this topic to some extent :)

Von Ether

Legend
Check out The Wall of Storms by Ken Liu, a good fantasy read and great world building. One subplot is about a society grappling with how to spread literacy among the lower classes so they have more of a say in the policy set by their "betters."

3597859.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg

Jhaelen

First Post
It has always bothered me that language and, even more so literacy, have often been treated as an after thought in gaming as well as film and TV. I find the matter of literacy can do much to enhance the suspension of disbelief in an RPG combined with fluency in languages. The key is to keep the rules at the table playable.
Well, I think the main reason why most RPGs assume the characters are literate, is because the players are. It keeps things simple. Likewise, the issue of having a multitude of different languages and dialects in a setting is often circumvented by introducing a 'lingua franca'. Realism is sacrificed for playability reasons.

As with almost every article in this series I cannot help but point to Ars Magica's treatment of languages and literacy:

For the Magi, literacy is a given, it's part of their apprenticeship. They have to be fluent in reading, writing, and speaking Latin in order to learn and cast spells. They may benefit from learning to read other languages in order to make use of a wider choice of books, but they rarely bother to learn speaking foreign languages, since they tend to delegate the task of dealing with 'mundane' people to more socially apt companions.

For the companions it depends a lot on their background and profession: If they come from a higher social standing or have a clerical background, they are likely to have enjoyed a formal education and are thus literate. If their profession requires them to travel a lot, they will likely have picked up a few foreign languages and dialects spoken in the lands they've visited.

For the turb and covenfolk, only the truly exceptional are likely to be literate and know more than their mother tongue. The long-time leaders among them will likely know a smattering of Latin in order to understand the Magi's orders better, but that's about it.

So, in Ars Magica campaigns, literacy and foreign languages play a role but thanks to the troupe-style gameplay, it's rarely critical to stories since there's a large pool of player characters available that can cover almost every scenario. And ff there's really a need, Magi will simply hire translators or interpreters (or, as a kind of last resort, rely on magical means to communicate).

jasper

Rotten DM
KILS Keep it Literacy Silly. Other wise it drags down the game. Oh Bob who is great at riddles must leave the table because he running a NonL PC and Bob can not keep his mouth shut.

Remove ads

Remove ads