In Search Of Quasqueton With Mike Carr

I grew up in a tiny town in northeast Iowa where you won't find a single stoplight or public library, let alone a game store. With fewer than 600 souls, it's probably the last place you'd expect to be immortalized in the pages of one of the most influential Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules of all time – but it was. Here's the story of how.

I grew up in a tiny town in northeast Iowa where you won't find a single stoplight or public library, let alone a game store. With fewer than 600 souls, it's probably the last place you'd expect to be immortalized in the pages of one of the most influential Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules of all time – but it was. Here's the story of how.

When I tell people I'm from Quasqueton, Iowa, the most common response is some version of "never heard of it." But certain old-school D&D fans will recognize the unusual name, having delved into the Cavern of Quasqueton while playing Dungeon Module B1 In Search of the Unknown. The module, written by Mike Carr and first published in 1979 in the first edition basic set, laid the foundation for virtually every dungeon crawl that followed. Classic monsters and traps await in the Cavern of Quasqueton, along with some areas intentionally left blank for dungeon masters to fill with original encounters.

For years, I wondered how the name of my hometown wound up in In Search of the Unknown. It's simply too unusual of a name to chalk up to coincidence. With Goodman Games releasing an update of the module for 5E this year as part of its Into the Borderlands collection, I decided to try to track down Mike Carr to see if I could get the full story. The kind folks at Goodman Games conveyed my initial inquiry to Mr. Carr, himself, who graciously took the time to send me an email recounting the origin of the Cavern of Quasqueton.

As it happens, the dungeon likely would have received a different name were it not for the Ground Round restaurant chain. Carr worked for the Ground Round in Roseville, Minnesota, during college. His job prospects upon graduation looked bleak, so he entered Ground Round's management training program, which sent him to the restaurant chain's Cedar Rapids, Iowa, location from 1974 to 1975. Carr first encountered the name Quasqueton during that fateful time in Cedar Rapids, which is located in an adjacent county from my hometown. The name stuck with him when he started work for TSR in March 1976.

"In developing the backstory and setting [for B1], I wanted to give this mythical place a distinctive and extraordinary name," Carr said. "During my two years of living in Cedar Rapids, I became aware of the town called Quasqueton and that place name qualified perfectly, so that's the name I chose."

Carr worked for TSR from 1976 to July of 1983, editing many of the best-loved D&D products during that stretch. When it was decided the basic set needed an introductory adventure module, he volunteered to write it. He said he designed the Cavern of Quasqueton as an example for beginning DMs to follow.

"I took special care to construct it in a manner that would illustrate how to create a backstory and a setting, as well as how to design a challenging dungeon and populate it with monsters and treasure," Carr said.

In real life, the name Quasqueton comes from a Native American word for "swift, running water," owing to the town's location along the banks of the Wapsipinicon River. I've heard people pronounce the name many different ways. Even lifelong Quasquetonians, as the town's residents are referred, disagree over the pronunciation. Most refer to it by its shorter nickname, "Quasky." But I'm glad Carr didn't name his classic dungeon the "Cavern of Quasky." Somehow, that doesn't sound as impressive to me.

contributed by Fred Love

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
That is a cool story... and one I can relate to having grown up in and then returned to a rural community of about the same population :) Yet, for such a small place, we have had so many active roleplayers, after a teacher taught me and then I taught many other students. But growing up, I had a wealth of friends interested too :) We were nerds on Fridays nights then turned up to play footy (Aussie Rules) on Saturday like the other kids ;)

"Native Americans" = Sac and Fox

Hi, thanks for this.

I'd like to contribute something further in regard to the Indigenous name. (I've done post-graduate work in American Indian Studies, and have served as the main author of the "List of Traditional Territories of the Indigenous Peoples of North America" Wikipedia article.)

First, I looked up where Quasqueton is located on the map of Iowa. I see it's in Buchanan County, along the Wapsipinicon River.

Next, I did a websearch for "Quasqueton etymology".

I found an archived snapshot of the a local history page which says: "Quasqueton, the oldest town in Buchanan County, was first settled in 1842. The name was originally Quasquetuk named by the Indians that lived on the west side of the river. It means "swift running water". "

This gives an important clue: Quasquetuk was named by the Indian Nation who was living on the west side of the Wapsipinicon River at the time the town was first settled by Euro-Americans in 1842.

Then I looked at the official set of treaty maps for Iowa. You see treaty #244 encompasses essentially the west side of the Wapsipinicon River. That treaty was made in 1837, only 5 years before the town of Quasqueton was settled.

So what nation signed that treaty? The Sac and Fox Nation. The Othâkîwaki (Sac, Sauk) Nation and Meshkwahkihaki (Fox) Nation (two nations which organizationally merged in historic times) traditionally speak variants of a single language, within the Algonkic family of languages.

It's likely that, if the local Anglo oral history is correct, the name "Quasquetuk" ("swift running water") is from the Sac-Fox language.

I then looked in A Concise Dictionary of the Sauk Language, but could find no exact match. There were some words for "run fast" and "water", but they didn't match "Quesquetuk" phonetically.

Phonetically, the closest I could find was:

kwâshkwithahêwa let out, drop off
kwâshkwithahowa get out, get off

So, that's as far as my research went. Someone who was more versed in the local history, and in the Fox language, could take it further.

In conclusion, it is likely that the "Native Americans/Indians" spoken of Quasqueton's naming are the Sac and Fox Nation.

Last edited by a moderator:

P.S. Fred, you said that there's disagreement even among locals as to how to pronounce the name. Could you type out the various pronunciations which locals use?

And I was excited when I saw local Seattle area names in D&D — Elmo RENTON in the Temple of Elemental Evil 3e reboot and Sandpoint in Paizo’s Rise of the Runelords. This is great stuff.

fredlove

First Post
P.S. Fred, you said that there's disagreement even among locals as to how to pronounce the name. Could you type out the various pronunciations which locals use?

There are two distinctive camps. There are those who pronounce it 'Kwa-SQUEE-ton.' And then there are those who pronounce it 'KWA-skwa-ton.' The difference is in the emphasis and the long 'e' sound in the middle syllable. I grew up in the camp that goes with the second pronunciation. 'Quasky' is by far the most commonly used way to refer to the town. Thanks for reading!

fredlove

First Post
In conclusion, it is likely that the "Native Americans/Indians" spoken of Quasqueton's naming are the Sac and Fox Nation.

Thanks for looking into this! The local historical society, unfortunately, doesn't have a whole lot to say of the region's Native American history, but Sac and Fox are definitely the two nations most commonly associated with the site along the Wapsipinicon that became Quasky. As for the translation of the name, I really appreciate your insights. It would surprise me not one bit to learn that "swift, running water" isn't the best translation -- or that there's more to the story.

As I said earlier, it's much easier to learn about the area's history after the arrival of white settlers, which is too bad. I'd love to learn more about Quasky's indigenous history.

RobertF

First Post
And it's not just the name "Quasqueton" that evokes fantasy adventures, but also the geographic region the town is located in, the Driftless Area. The Driftless Area is a cave-pocked region of rugged terrain surrounding the upper Mississippi River that avoided glaciation & contains several relic species. That sounds like the ingredients for a D&D campaign setting: caves + creatures that have survived from ancient times!

Brian N Kay

First Post
Fred this is awesome. I grew up in the Quad Cities, IA. My home town only slighty larger! The things you never thought you'd encounter or see about rual small town Iowa! Thanks for this.

Polyhedral Columbia thanks as well.

RobertF very interesting and true; ideas are already forming my next adventure after we finish ToA!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads