Big Changes in ICv2's RPG Industry Charts, as Pathfinder Drops Off Before 2E's Release!

ICv2 has just released its Fall 2018 industry chart of the top selling hobby channel roleplaying games, and for the first time since the game launched, Pathfinder - no doubt affected by the impending release of Pathfinder 2E - is not in the top five!

Pathfinder01.jpg

1Dungeons & DragonsWotC
2Legend of the Five RingsFFG
3Star Wars RPGFFG
4StarfinderPaizo
5VampireWhite Wolf

Pathfinder has been in the top 5 since it launched in 2009. Traditionally, it holds the #2 spot, just after D&D, although for three years from Spring 2011 to Summer 2014 it knocked D&D off its perch and claimed the top position. Since then, it's pretty much been D&D - Pathfinder - Star Wars, with the fourth and fifth positions battled over by the latest hotness.​

D&D dropped off the chart back in Spring 2014, just before D&D 5E launched. With Pathfinder 2 coming in August, this looks like the same effect.

In Pathfinder's absence, Fantasy Flight Games makes a strong showing with Legend of the Five Rings and Star Wars, and White Wolf's Vampire - despite the controversy, sneaks in at #5.

Predicting PF 2e's performance has been iffy. It only seems to be the extreme of really bad to really good. Curious to all the 4e comparisons as well. I'm interested to see how well it does or doesnt do and how Paizo will adapt.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
PF2e should be extremely interesting. I fear that it will be a) not enough change for those that want more changed, or b) they did not change enough, or c) all of the above.

With something like this line, people want change, but not too much deviation from the core. If Starfinder is a sneak peak at the changes I'm in the 'not enough' camp.

I'm still hoping that Paizo opens up a 5e conversion department. I'd buy their APs and settings in 5th ed without blinking. I'm also not holding my breath for this one.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
PF2e should be extremely interesting. I fear that it will be a) not enough change for those that want more changed, or b) they did not change enough, or c) all of the above.

With something like this line, people want change, but not too much deviation from the core. If Starfinder is a sneak peak at the changes I'm in the 'not enough' camp.

I'm still hoping that Paizo opens up a 5e conversion department. I'd buy their APs and settings in 5th ed without blinking. I'm also not holding my breath for this one.

They can't change too much. PF pas build on its backward compatibility with 3.5. Straying too far away from PF might turn off the base.

mykediemart

Explorer

I didn't really play much pathfinder (friends and my adult son did) but I heard a lot about it. I have purchased the hard back Adventure paths and a few modules and i think their production quality is top notch. I have even dabble now into their setting (I didnt play PF in their setting) . I have even watched a few of their twitch broadcasts (replayed on youtube) on lore.

TLDR: Paizo make top notch stuff, if they made duel stat books I'd be buying them.

Azgulor

Adventurer
They can't change too much. PF pas build on its backward compatibility with 3.5. Straying too far away from PF might turn off the base.

I'm part of the PF1 base. Actually, I was part of the 'PF1 Forever' Brigade. I'm anxiously awaiting PF2 as the changes they are looking to implement look as though they're reworking fundamental aspects of the d20 engine for the better. Given that PF2 appears to be easier to run and promises easy conversion of PF1 material (a PF1 module was converted on the fly during a podcast), backwards compatibility doesn't appear to be much of an issue.

In the event someone was holding on to PF1 as a way to use 3.5 material, they were likely never going to switch to PF2. When PF1 was a year or two old, backwards compatibility was a big deal. PF1 is 10 years old and Paizo has already developed material for that system that improved upon or replaced 3.x versions.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases