• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Geekhackery: Tablet Specs

A bit of light trollery in a forum thread sent me off to do some research to line up tablet options and specs -- with an eye towards use as an aid for tabletop gaming. The line that send me off to do some research was encouraged us to "look at the specs for ourselves" -- and I thought, well, all righty then, lets take a look. No sense always shooting from the hip when I say thinks like...

A bit of light trollery in a forum thread sent me off to do some research to line up tablet options and specs -- with an eye towards use as an aid for tabletop gaming.

The line that send me off to do some research was encouraged us to "look at the specs for ourselves" -- and I thought, well, all righty then, lets take a look. No sense always shooting from the hip when I say thinks like "iPads are like butterscotch pudding: sweet, smooth, and all around creamy."

Ahem. Anyway, here goes:

Apple iPad 16 Gig WifiGoogle Nexus 10Microsoft Surface with Windows RTAmazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9"Rad. Gnome's initial Reactions
Processor (with Passmark benchmarking score)Dual-core Apple A6x with quad-core graphics
(passmark score: 1352)
Dual-core 1.7Ghz Samsung Exynos (passmark score: 4041)Quad-core nVidia Tegra 3 (passmark score: 2032*)Dual-core 1.5Ghz OMAP4470 (passmark score: 2549)Surprised the iPad scored low here -- it doesn't feel like it's performance suffers. See below
Screen Resolution2048x15362560x16001366x7681920x1200Surprised the Surface is so low.
OSiOSAndroid 4.2Windows RTAndroid 4.0 (highly customized)This is the crux.
RAM1 G2 G2 G1 GHm. Makes me want to sit down with a Nexus 10 and a Retina iPad and see how they feel.
APP StoreApple APP Store(800,000 apps)Google Play Store (700,000 apps)Windows Store (135,000 apps)Amazon App Store[ (3583 apps)Wow. (see below)
USB InputNoMicro USBUSB 2.0Micro USBNot sure this matters. Cloud options and bluetooth are making this a non-issue
HDMI outWith AdapterMicro-HDMINoMicro-HDMIA feature I value in my iPad.
VGA outWith Adapternononoas above. This is a feature I really value in my iPad. I'd miss it.
WiFi80211.a/b/g/n
802.11n on 2.4 and 5 Ghz
802.11 b/g/n802.11 a/b/g/nDual-band WiFi (MIMO) 802.11 b/g/nMeh. Not much distinction here. I do know from personal experience that the Kindle's dual band does make a big difference using weak signals.
Battery Lifeup to 10 hrs9 hoursup to 8 hours10 hoursThese are advertised numbers: might be a bit inflated on all counts
Price$499$499$499$299All the same price? That's convenient!

*The passmark score for the Microsoft Surface's nVidia Tegra chip is based on it's use in the Asus Nexus 7; I was not able to find a score for the Tegra as it performs in the Surface. All other scores represent the chips in their specific devices.

You could take umbrage with a lot of the choices I've taken to put this comparison together. For one thing, I'm trying to do my best to compare equivalent device choices that you can make for roughly the same price (with the exception of the Kindle Fire HD 8.9, which is a whole lot less expensive, and it shows).

There are some hidden differences, too. For example, the OS for the Surface takes up a surprisingly large chunk of the onboard memory (the 32g Surface RT has only 15g of available memory out of the box)

So, the idea behind the comparison I'm making here is what could you get on the different devices for the same money.

There's obviously a lot of other options. My iPad choice was the newest retina display option, but at the lowest memory size -- for another $100 you can get the 32 gig version. Or you could opt for the iPad 2, earlier version, and pay a little less at the expense of resolution, etc. Similar wiggle potential is available in the other columns -- I could have chosen any number of different android tablet models, or the Windows Surface Pro instead of the RT, but I think these choices give us a rough place to begin an examination.

View attachment 57110

Key Points of Interest.

I've cherry-picked a dozen points of comparison from a longer list from a comparison chart on Tablet Nation. I'm trying to focus on the key factors that tabletop RPG players and DM may want to consider. We're so un-photogenic, as a group, I'll assume that no one cares which model has the better cameras, for example.

Some are fundamental -- OS, processor, and so on. It's difficult to make comparisons between the actual processors, but I've provided the Passmark benchmarking scores for some sort of direct comparison.

I'd argue, though, that for the sorts of work we will be doing, processor speed is not going to be much of an issue. We're not playing high-action games or really testing the video/graphic abilities of these devices, so I'd encourage you to not pay too much attention to those passmark scores.

Far more important are some of the other elements I've cited. VGA/HDMI output, for example, opens up a whole host of additional uses for your tablet. VGA is only available on the iPad, but using microHDMI you can output from the Nexus 10 and the Kindle as well.

App Store and App Counts

In the end, I think this is one of the most critical points of comparison. I new all along that my Kindle was showing me only a small subset of the apps available through the broader android channels, but I really had no idea how big a difference there was until I looked it up. 700,00 vs 3600? That's .5% of android apps make it through the Amazon filters.

Also note: App counts are what's available in the stores, not what's appropriate for the devices: both android and apple counts include apps that are designed for phones rather than tables. I know that the app count for iPad apps is around 300,000, but I wasn't able to find the equivalent number for android.

Also Also note: Remember that the android market does not have any sort of control or curation that I'm aware of, while Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft clearly have controls over what's available. So the Android app count is inflated by a flood of apps that would not have made it through similar filters in the other platform ecosystems.

The Bottom Line

Hey, I'm not here to tell you what to buy. I'm an apple fan, an amazon fan, and I'm not a hater of android or microsoft tablets. For me, the important factors are the availability and quality of apps, the ways the device can be used to facilitate gaming, and factors like battery life that allow the device to keep up with me during a long gaming day.

The kindle is attractive for it's low price point -- you get a lot of device for nearly half the price. But it's important to keep in mind that the kindle is there to sell you amazon's digital content -- books, movies, music, whatever. There are other apps, and you can do some things with it, but when you start to use it for things other than books, movies, or music, you really start to feel the stress on the system. So, while I'd recommend it (or it's little cousin) in a heartbeat for someone looking for a device for books, movies, and music, I don't think it's the right device for a gamer to use for gaming.

Of the other three, it's my opinion that -- at least for now -- the App ecosystem for the iPad is an incredibly important factor. This disparity is changing, but for the useful life of whatever device you choose (probably 2-3 years) the android market's offerings for tabletop gamers will probably not surpass those in those in the apple store. Someday, in all likelihood, that will be different, but for now, I think iPad wins on that point.

A big unknown to me there is the Microsoft app store -- I just don't know if there's much in there at all for tabletop gamers. The big advantage they have is that their platform will actually run most of the web services and software that apple users need a special app to access. So, the lack of apps may not be a big deal. [Note: It's pointed out by @Arravis in the comments below that the Surface RT won't run all windows applications; the DDI tools are web-based, so I would hope that they would work, but I have no way of testing it. See the comments below for more thoughts on this.]

Other selling points -- screen resolution -- may not be a huge factor for our needs. If I were shopping for a gaming tablet on a budget, I'd certainly not consider that an important criteria. So, the surface's low resolution in this comparison is perhaps a non-issue.

There are plenty of other articles you should take a look at as you consider your options. One in particular is "An iPad user tries the Microsoft Surface Pro. The writer has recently tried to work only on his iPad (using his iPad as a notebook replacement), and having come out of that experience with mostly good feelings about the iPad, he gives the surface a try.

It's well worth reading -- he was able to play Guild Wars 2 on it (there's a screenshot) which is impressive, but his experience with the Pro's battery life was pretty crippling. Anyway, give it a read. You might also like these articles:

The most important takeaway from my own examination and the articles I've been reading to research this is the idea that there really isn't a single, *best* platform. With so many different needs and expectations, each individual user is going to have their own best choice.

So, what do you think? What are the most important factors when you evaluate a choice like this? Performance? Memory? Avaialble software? Price? What else?

Arravis

First Post
I love the article... but one thing to keep in mind:
Your chart uses the Microsoft Surface with Windows RT which is day/night difference from the Surface Pro (which is the comparison in the ipad vs surface pro you linked)
The Surface Pro uses Windows 8 Pro OS, Windows 8 RT OS will not run any apps not designed for Windows 7 or before. So most windows programs won't run unless they're specifically designed to work with either RT or windows 8. This unfortunately would pretty much cut out the vast bulk of current PCs applications used for gaming.

Again, damn good article sir :)

-Arravis

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I love the article... but one thing to keep in mind:
Your chart uses the Microsoft Surface with Windows RT which is day/night difference from the Surface Pro (which is the comparison in the ipad vs surface pro you linked)
The Surface Pro uses Windows 8 Pro OS, Windows 8 RT OS will not run any apps not designed for Windows 7 or before. So most windows programs won't run unless they're specifically designed to work with either RT or windows 8. This unfortunately would pretty much cut out the vast bulk of current PCs applications used for gaming.

Again, damn good article sir :)

-Arravis
That's true, and a point well made.

I must have missed that wrinkle -- I thought I saw an article about upgrading from RT to Pro in my research, but I'm not finding it now, and searching for that now sure paints a picture that makes that sound unlikely.

The down side of looking at the Surface pro would be that the price of the pro ($949 on amazon) puts it WELL above the price range of the other tablets I was considering. And that's for the 64g version, which really has 30g of usable space after the OS (34g for the OS? Really? I linked the source of that in the main article -- it's a remarkably big bite for a mobile OS).

Anyway, the price comparison is very hard to do -- if you go totally high end with the iPad you can get up to $949, with the 4g card, 128 gigs memory, etc. Of course, anyone buying it with the 4g card is going to get a rebate from AT&T or Verizon with their data plan..... anyway, I digress....

The point being that I picked the RT because it matched up on price -- and the post I was responding to was claiming that apple is overpriced -- so I wanted to do a comparison that lined up on price for the sake of as close to an apples-to-apples comparison as I could do.

delericho

Legend
Dare I ask for a recommendation? Or is that like stepping into a minefield akin to the Edition Wars?

If it helps: I've only really used Windows machines, including my current laptop, but am not a zealot about it - these things are tools, nothing more. Oh, and I'm a D&D 3.5e/SWSE/occasional Black Crusade GM who's currently considering whether it would be practical to go paperless for his game. (I don't mind using physical books and physical dice, but I ran a one-shot on Saturday and afterwards had some 50 sheets of paper to dump in recycling. Getting rid of that would be no bad thing.)

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I'm an apple fanboy. I'd lean toward iPad for myself.

BUT.

Lets eliminate the not-great choices first: Kindle is a bargain choice, and it feels like it. The devices are optimized for reading and watching video, and do that pretty well, but they don't quite make the grade for other uses. Get one, by all means, but don't expect it to be a favorite gaming tool.

Microsoft Surface, IMO, is just a little too new to recommend. And if you really want the complete flexibility of having a full Windows machine, you need to ramp all the way up to surface pro, which makes it very spendy.

So, I think the choice is really between Android or iPad.

My gut reaction is to go with Apple, but that has a lot more to do with my own experience with iPads. I can recommend iPad because I have one and use it all day and love it. But from a more empirical place, it looks like the Android choice can be just as viable. These days, especially for the bigger name android devices (like the nexus), there seem to be good app and accessory options that come close to matching the offerings on iPad.

So, while my quick draw recommendation would be for you to go iPad, I'd say that if you went Android instead there's every chance that it's as good a choice as the ipad.

AND... if you can afford it... think long and hard about going for the 4g package. With the right data plan (bundled to share data with your smartphone, if you have it) you may be able to get the monthly service for just a few dollars more a month. (Check with your provider -- we just got a new iPad mini in our house -- for the first time one with 4g -- and added it to my iPhone service plan, converting to an AT&T Shared Data plan. Given the individual plan I had before, I think I'm paying about the same per month now. Still waiting to see what that first bill looks like.....)

-rg

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
(34g for the OS? Really? I linked the source of that in the main article -- it's a remarkably big bite for a mobile OS).

Well, two things. Windows 8 Pro really isn't a mobile OS. It is an attempt to bridge between the mobile and desk worlds, so you'd have the same OS for a desktop, laptop, or tablet.

Then, also note that they're doing this on a device that doesn't have separate memory and disk storage. If you put Win 8 Pro on a laptop, you need 16G of disk space, and 1G to run the thing. Interestingly,t he tablet takes pretty much twice what the laptop needs - I presume that the tablet reserves a big chunk of memory space as dedicated "working space", that you *cannot* walk on with storage.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
All true. It's a trick, I think, of the way we look at the Surface. If you're looking at it in comparison to other tablets, that point of comparison seems shocking (because when you buy a 32g iPad, you get most of that 32g for storage).

It feels like dishonest marketing, though it's not dishonest at all -- but it does beg for explanation -- why does the OS take up so much more room, etc (because it's a full-blown OS, not a stripped down, minimal tablet OS, etc).

We don't notice the OS taking up space on the HDs of bigger systems because the HDs are so much bigger.

So, anyway.... you're absolutely right. :)

-rg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads