Fey Elves?

Wolf72

Explorer
Has anyone ever (or know of) heard/seen anyone doing a conversion for the Hulderfolk from DragonLance:Taladas?

They seemed more faerie-like than elf-like.

(note: not that I'm currently running anything ... just having fun doing paperwork)

 Hulderfolk -2 str, +2 dex, -2 con, +2 cha [fav class: bard]

that was just an start for a conversion.

Last edited:

Ammianus

First Post
I've never run across any conversions of the Hulderfolk, but in the little campaign that I'm running now (a homebrewed setting), I'm trying to run the elves in a very fey-like way. I'm not allowing elven PCs in this campaign, at least not yet, and I'm trying to make the elves into something far more mysterious than just pointy-eared guys who like trees, as they too often seem to end up being in D&D. That said, I'm still using the PHB statistics for them. As well, this campaign is still in its very early stages, and I've only run one encounter with these fey elves so far, so it's a little too soon to say exactly how they're going to turn out.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
In my pseudo-Celtic, folklore-style homebrew world, I made a distinction betweeen elves and the Sidhe. The original gods of the world, the Lanimagh (somewhat like the Tuatha de Danann of Irish myth) ruled the world with their offspring, the sidhe.

At this time, Humans were littlre more than cavemen. As Humans grew more and more civilized, the Sidhe retreated farther and farther from them until Alignn, the mother-goddess of the Lanimagh, sacrificed herself to create a place were all the children of the Laigmagh could go to seek refuge from the contaminated curiosit of Humans.

This is the creation of the Otherworld, Addalon. Some sidhe-folk, however, decided not to retreat to Addalon with their brethren, and remained behind in the Mortal World. These are the ancestors of the elves--creatures related to the fey and the Sidhe, but, having been cut off from the magic of their kin, lost most of their glamor and became as they are now.

The elves of my world are identical to those in the PHB, with the exception that if they have a Charisma of at least 12, they can enter the Otherworld if they somehow find a portal which will allow them to do so. I have also changed their favored class from Wizard to Sorcerer, which harkens back to their magical heritage as descendants of the Sidhe and the Lanimagh.

I have made up my own versions of the Aes Sidhe, Gwraggedd Annwn, Plant Annwn, Lhiannan Sidhe, Baobhan Sidhe, and other "fey elves" for those rare occasions when one of the true Sidhe crosses over into the mortal world for adventure and/or mischief.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
very cool.

I remember the hulderfolk being able to planeshift or something like that (otherworld)

... I don't think they were able to handle forged metal either ...

FYI ... if anyone is wondering, Hulderfolk appeared in the Time of the Dragon boxed set. (which btw is at moms house ... ya know the place of seemingly endless storage ... "when ya coming to get your stuff" )

qstor

Adventurer
Check the Dragonlance conversions on this site. James O' Rance (sp) might have converted them already. He's done an excellant job so far.

Mike

Wolf72

Explorer
checked already ... much of Taladas is still 2e and no one at the Nexus really has touched to much of Taladas yet

Remove ads