Adventures of the Knights of the Silver Quill: Glacier Season

Dr Midnight

Explorer
camplogo2.gif

This is the sixth ENboards KotSQ thread.

To read the entire story up until now, click here.

Volumes I-III on the old ENboards should be back sometime...?... with reader commentary.

Volume IV (on ENboards with reader commentary) can be read here.

Volume V (on ENboards with reader commentary) can be read here.

THE CHARACTERS:

DARTAN "THE GODLESS"
The last remaining member of the original adventuring party, Dartan is a bitter fallen paladin of Heironeous. His soul is dark but his actions speak of his bravery. He has little tolerance for activities that don't involve destroying those that oppose him.

RAFFLORN SPELLFORGE
This wizard and clockwork expert is a recent addition to the party. He drew from the Deck of Many Things and won a castle, now called Spellforge Keep- the party's home base. He also won (through his own charms) the heart of Katya. The two were recently married.

JETTOK TAKLIN
A fighter and follower of Kord, Jettok is a true friend and the purest kind of dwarf- a gruff but loveable bearded companion with a drink in one hand and a greataxe in the other.

KYLA OHANNA
A high priestess of Pelor, Kyla has earned her reputation as a good and fair cleric. She maintains a big sisterly watch over her more adventurous younger sister Katya, and rarely finds time for her own interests. She has recently become attracted to Rowan, Spellforge Keep's new guardsman.

KATYA SPELLFORGE
Rafflorn's new wife Katya is a redheaded legend in Verbobonc. Her quick wit, quicker mouth, and powerful spellcasting has made her a force to be respected. She's matured over the last year, casting off her rebellious youthful attitude for a more catious perspective.

SIR VEK MORMONT
The descendant of a traitor to Wee Jas, Vek was raised to believe in the goddess of death and magic. He became the champion of Wee Jas, and executes Her will, smirking his quiet grin all the while. His ambition is to become a powerful lich, and to continue to do Her bidding. In the last year, he has changed: he now smells "funny" and won't remove his helm...

MOST RECENTLY: The Knights reformed after a year off. They have united to find Gorgoldand, and in doing so, must seek clues to the north. They walk to the snowy winterlands, and find a half-dragon companion who asks them to join him in defeating his father, an elder white dragon. The bright idea to teleport into the dragon's lair was conceived in a moment of jest, and now...

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Session 37
Freeday, 7th of Coldeven
ASSAULT ON ACESSIWAL

The next day, they began preparing. The plan was in place. They would scry upon Acessiwal, discern his location, beef up with as many spells as they could muster, then teleport in and kill him. No weeks spent tracking him down, working their way through his trapped and minion-laden labyrinth, no epic showdown. It was almost like assassination... but it would WORK. They would rid the north of an elder dragon. The ends would justify the means. They had to.

Katya and Rafflorn prepared their spell selection. Dartan and Jettok sparred. Kyla and Taigiel drew up a battle plan.

Vek looked into his own frosted armor's reflection and let his consciousness flex inward. He saw through the armor, beyond it, and suddenly his vision was crossing hundreds of miles. He had a link to his subject. He had Taigiel. Show me the dragon, Vek willed. His scrying spell settled in a vast cavern. Walls of ice were lit from above, through a roof made entirely of ice. The sun shone through coldly, and blue light danced in the cavern. A carved alcove was dug into one wall, and in it slept the largest dragon Vek had ever seen. White dragons were the smallest of all the wyrms, yet its head was as large as a wagon. Its wings, though folded, were immense. Its claws were roughly two feet long. With each slow breath, it released a cloud of frosty air, obscuring vision of it.

Vek was dimly aware that the other Knights had stopped what they were doing and were looking at the dragon in his armor with him.

"That's Acessiwal?" Rafflorn asked.

Taigiel somberly replied "That's him."

Rafflorn grinned. "We can beat him." The others were oddly cheered by his sentiment, and they tried to ignore the nervous shivers they were coming down with. The wizard said "Okay, I can't teleport us all- we're too heavy. However, I have a plan. Dartan, come with me." The two teleported away. Within an hour, they returned. "We just sold a great deal of valuables and bought a bag of holding. Now, this bag is huge. If you all hop inside, we'll teleport, and you fly out and attack."

Rafflorn said fly out, and he meant it literally. On each Knight would be cast a number of spells suited specifically to maximize his/her effectiveness and longevity. It was a complicated system that took the mages some hours to work out.

When the preparation theory was done, it was time to put the entire plan into practice. Spells were cast and weapons were sheathed. Rafflorn exhausted each spell he'd planned to cast. He sighed with relief.

"Uh..." Vek sounded alarmed.

"What's wrong?"

"It's awake."

Rafflorn shrugged. "So what?"

"Well... it's watching us."

"What??" It was true. In Vek's armor, Acessiwal could be seen hunched over a patch of glimmering ice. In the ice reflected their own shocked expressions at being scried upon while scrying.

Taigiel cursed. "I should have figured that he'd be watching us. He's very interested in the goings-on in the world around him."

Rafflorn said "Let's hurry, then. It'll be only slightly more ready for us."

Vek abruptly said "We're not going."

"What? Why? I just spent a lot of time preparing us!"

"It just cast a spell and its own scrying screen winked out."

"So what? What did it cast?"

Vek looked very serious. "I'm not certain, but I think it was Antimagic Field."

Rafflorn couldn't believe their ill luck. The clever old devil knew what they were doing, and prepared himself aptly. Antimagic Field would render the spells cast on the Knights completely ineffective if they stepped within ten feet of him. They would be incredibly vulnerable. It would be a bloodbath.

"Damn. Settle in, everyone, we're not going." Rafflorn looked like someone had just spat in his face. He fumed. His wife put an understanding hand on his shoulder.

The Knights camped out again in their tent. They would try again the next day, and try to catch Acessiwal off-guard. Vek never slept. He scried on the dragon, deep into the night. "I'm watching you," he whispered every once in a while.

Starday, 8th of Coldeven

They woke to find the dragon watching them, and Vek watching him back. Talking would alert the dragon to their plan, so Rafflorn used Surge's ability to speak in minds. They would cast a small number of spells, then go invisible. Once invisible, they could cast a small number of spells in silence, and drop in on the dragon if Vek confirmed that he hadn't yet cast Antimagic Field. It was as good a plan as they had.

They went invisible with a small number of spells cast. Rafflorn had transferred his consciousness into Surge, taking control of the mechanical pseudodragon. Vek kept his lifeless human body, shrunken to a portable size, in his backpack. He watched Acessiwal. He's cast Haste, Stoneskin, and Endurance, but not Antimagic Field, he reported. He knows we might be bluffing.

Are we sure this is a good idea? Dartan thought.

No, Rafflorn thought to them all. Let's go.

They teleported.

Things happened very quickly. They appeared in front of Acessiwal and the Knights flew from Rafflorn's outstretched bag of holding. Almost at once, the dragon tore into them with a blast of blizzard-cold air from its open mouth. Dartan and Jettok flew forward, hacking and cutting. They found very quickly that their mightiest blows did only the slightest damage to the gargantuan beast.

acessiwal.jpg

"FATHER! I'VE COME FOR WHAT'S MINE- MY FREEDOM!!" Taigiel bellowed, sounding very much like a dragon himself. He began cutting at his father.

Vek, Rafflorn, Kyla and Katya stayed to the rear, doing what they could with spells. They were out of reach of the dragon, but it became clear very quickly that they weren't doing much good. Katya cried out in frustration. "Nothing I cast is working!"

"Keep trying!" Rafflorn answered.

Another cone of the dragon's freezing breath bathed the heroes. Rafflorn fell to the ground and shattered- or, rather, Surge shattered. The mechanical pseudodragon had seen his last day. Luckily, his consciousness transferred back to his physical body in Vek's backpack. He jumped out, turned to his normal size, and kept fighting. He picked up Surge's broken form with one hand, cast spells with the other.

Dartan and Jettok were barely nicking the dragon. With every bite and claw, it ripped chunks from them. The ground around them was slippery with their blood. Kyla healed as she could, but she couldn't keep up with all the damage being done. "WE'RE LOSING!" Dartan screamed.

Jettok was struck by a claw. He became so enraged that his face flushed red. "GRAAAAUGHHHH!!!!" He swung his greataxe upward, into the underside of Acessiwal's chin. The axe sunk in, and the dragon roared in pain. Jettok grinned with bloodlust, but was sobered when the dragon smiled down at him. He had hurt it- but the message was clear. It had hours of fight left in it. It swiped at him and connected hard. Jettok's body flew to the floor of the cavern, where he lay... dead.

Vek rushed forward, laying his hand on the dragon's scales. Dark energy coursed through the wyrm, and it snarled, attacking Vek. He was smashed back. "We're losing- just like Dartan said. We have to retreat or we will die. Everyone in the bag!"

"We'll meet back at the keep!" Vek grabbed Katya and uttered a word. The two vanished.

Dartan yelled "What about Jettok? We can't leave him!" He looked up in horror to see that the dragon was rearing back, inhaling for another blast of icy breath. He doubted they could take one more.

"Cut a finger off- we can resurrect him using the scroll! We don't have time to place his body in the bag!"

Dartan flew down, readying his sword for the fateful blow. He looked down at his dwarven friend and swung. The sword's hilt had taken frost from the dragon's attacks, and it flew from his grasp. "No," he said as he watched it spin away through the air. It thunked into the ice wall fifty feet away. "NO!!!" He moved for it. Without his sword, Dartan the Godless was just another civilian with a surly attitude.

"DARTAN, WE DON'T HAVE TIME!!!" The others were in the bag, ready to go. Dartan shouted a curse and flew into the bag as the dragon blasted at them with another cloud of bright white ice.

When the frost cloud cleared, they were gone. They had left Jettok and Dartan's sword- but they lived to teleport out of the Great Wyrm's lair.

NEXT: What now?

Last edited:

Dawn

First Post
Wow! The Knights have finally had to retreat. Dragons are nothing to play with. The Knights are lucky the dragon didn't send some it's minions to the camp site.

Wee Jas

First Post
Almost a 4 hour fight IRL...

Its spell resistance ignored most of all my spells (3 flame strikes, 2 slay livings, Blindness, and a score of "cause wounds") and the 1 Harm that got through.. well, the Dragon couldn't fail a 20 Will save unless he rolled a 1. :mad:

Poor Jettock.. Hopefully it didnt swallow him up!

Malachai_rose

First Post
wow...

Well i've been lurking since about halfway through the groups delve into the "Temple of Elemental Evil" and I just gotta say ... Dang. I really like the way you have mixed the adventures with real life events for the characters that affects and changes the world they live in. The castle the wedding the fight for the city once the Knights defeated the Big an Ugly at the temple, it all lends itself to a very epic feel.

Also as far as the last post goes, yikes. As a player I was like they got this covered, I mean with Vek and Dartan and the others what measly dragon could get in their way right ? LOL , I was wrong. That was great, painful but great, kinda keeps things in scale for higher level players who might begin to think that they're el numero uno (I know in Broc's campaign Benito is guilty of this). Anyways great post , great story.

Sorry to hear about Jettok though... kinda sad really I was hoping they'ed bring back a fallen member out of the Knights past but it appears the scroll is destined for Jettok :) Also what happened that Dartan lost his sword (critical fumble ?). Hope his player takes the loss well. I know that alot of times fighter types can tend to define themselves at higher levels by the weapon that they wield (he hadn't named his sword yet had he ?). Lol sorry for the ramble just wanted to drop in say Hi and compliment you on the post as well as ask a few questions :p

Dartan

First Post
I lost a Long Sword +3.......it will be missed along with Jettok...Not to worry we may have had our ego's bruised a little but next time that Dragon is going down..

madriel

First Post
"...it's watching us."

Fantastic!

Now that's what fighting a dragon ought to be like. Truly epic, Doc.

They lost Jettok, Raff lost Surge and Dartan's lost his sword. No way the Knights are walking away from this fight. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Remove ads