St. Cuthbert revealed!

I was going back and doing some research on the vikings, and was surprised to see, in Alcuin's account of the first famous viking raid on English soil (at the Abbey of Lindisfarne) that the church at the abbey was also called the Church of St. Cuthbert! No wonder he's the god of retribution: his church was razed to the ground by heathens!

Carnifex

First Post
I'm pretty sure that Gary Gygax has himself said on these boards that there is no link between the Greyhawk St. Cuthbert and the real world St. Cuthbert...

Yeah, I remember him saying that. However, that coincidence is just too cool to not point out. Sometimes serendipity is even better than design.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joshua Dyal said:
Yeah, I remember him saying that. However, that coincidence is just too cool to not point out. Sometimes serendipity is even better than design.

Well...

It was late, I wanted to toss in a interesting and annoying deity, had been reading Anglo-Saxon period history, so...

Besides, "Cuthbert" is such a non-heroic name that I just had to do it :eek:

The various mottos I made up for his clergy were also irresistable to me. Seems I am guilty of trying to add a bit of levity into the general fun of gaming :D

Ciao,
Gary

Cuthbert is a really non-heroic name, isn't it? I can't help but think of old men in brown habits with tonsured hair just hearing it. I may have to name my next barbarian character Cuthbert just to banish the image.

Remove ads