Dragonlance Template Prestige Classes for Dragonlance?

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
There´s a thought that came into my head while reading all the different possibilities on how to express the Knights of Solamnia or the Wizards of High Sorcery in 3E terms. Most seem to lean towards the prestige class solution, which is understandable, as it´s the easiest way out. In my opinion, prestige classes don´t quite cover the feel of either organization, though...and as many have argued against new core classes, I tried to find a way inbetween, to modify an existing core class so it fits the roles on Krynn.

Up to now, there are two major methods to modify a character, as far as I know. One is a prestige class, which is essentially a new class that specializes the character on his chosen path, and whose levels are added to his character levely as if he was multiclassing. The other is a template, a "shell" that is slipped over the character to give him the features of a monster-like creature.

How about combining both, to create a "Template Prestige Class", a class that acts like a template in that it only modifies the current class with a bunch of special abilities, but acts as a prestige class in so far as there are requirements that need to be fulfilled to take that template, and that the bonus features are depending on the character level?

Just as a disclaimer ;) : I don´t know if something like this has already been done in any supplement or rulebook, or maybe on a fansite. If yes, would someone please be so kind and direct me there or give me the source? I´d be very grateful :)

Last edited:

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Geron Raveneye said:

How about combining both, to create a "Template Prestige Class", a class that acts like a template in that it only modifies the current class with a bunch of special abilities, but acts as a prestige class in so far as there are requirements that need to be fulfilled to take that template, and that the bonus features are depending on the character level?

Am I the only one who thinks that this sounds an awful lot like Kits from 2nd Edition AD&D? ;)

Crothian

First Post
Actually, it's not like kits in two significant differences.

1) You have to get the prerequisites. By controlling these and making them pretty hard, you can help balance the abilities gained.

2) Since it's a template, it should have a ECL. So, once you get it, you'll need to gain a bunch of XP for that next level as you are now using a tougher XP chart because of the ECL.

I think both of these if used properly will balance it out and make this an idea worth exploring.

Skaros

First Post
What exactly about the Knights of Solomnia and Wizards of High Sorcerery makes you see them requiring something more than prestige classes?

This would give us something more to work with in understanding why you are thinking template prestige classes are necessary.

-Skaros

Michael Tree

First Post
There is another way of modifying characters that you didn't mention: variant core classes. There are guidelines in the PH and DMG for creating variations on core classes to better suit some character concepts.

For example, for Dragonlance you could create a "Mariner" variant of the Fighter, who gives up proficiency in medium armor, heavy armor, and shields, in return for 4 skill points per level and having Balance, Intuit Direction, Profession, and Use Rope as class skills.

Another appropriate variant for Dragonlance would be a Handler variant of the Rogue for Kender who gives up Sneak Attack for some other kender-appropriate bonuses or abilities, a Ranger variant who doesn't cast spells, and a Bard variant who casts divine magic rather than arcane, as devotees of Branchala.

However, for Wizards of High Sorcery and Solamnic Knights, a mix of core classes and prestige class works almost perfectly. All WoHC are simply Wizards, with an additional rule that they cannot gain more than 3 levels of Wizard without taking the Test (or possibly going renegade).

Knights of the Crown are essentially Fighters, and may later choose to become Knights of the Sword and/or Knights of the Rose, which perfectly fit the description of what prestige classes should be used for.

Crothian

First Post
Re: Not to sound too retarded...

Geron Raveneye said:
...but how does ECL work? I´m not sure myself, that´s why I´m asking...? :)

Equvilent Character Level

For races that are more powerful then the standard races (human, elf, dwark, etc.). So, if your a ffth level fighter with a race that has an ECL of +2, you should be the equivilent of a seventh level character. You gain levels as your total, so this character would need enough XP on the chart to advance to 8th, for him to get to 6th.

THere's probably a much simplier way of explaining that. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases