2-handed weapon and bucklers

iamrpgdm

Explorer
Anyone have any thoughts on the use of a 2-handed weapon with bucklers strapped on? In the PHB pg. 105 for the description of a buckler it says that there is no penalty for using a bow or crossbow. It also states that if you use a weapon in your off-hand, you suffer a -1 penalty on the attack roll. I can't find anything about using a 2-handed weapon and bucklers.

shilsen

Adventurer
I can't find any ruling on it, so I would allow it to be used with the same -1 penalty. One could argue that a bow is a 2-handed weapon so using a 2-handed melee weapon should incur no penalty either, but I think the primary reason for the bow not having a penalty is because the arm with the buckler is merely holding the bow steady, whereas a melee weapon probably requires more active motion. Just my take on it, of course.

Artoomis

First Post
I think you'll find the consensus is that there is no penalty when using a two-handed weapon, but also no benefit.

I seem to recall Sage's advcie to that effect, but I could be wrong.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
For two weapon fighting, you get a -1 to your off hand and a -0 to your primary hand. For a two handed weapon, each hand contributes to the swing, so this averages out to -0.5, which (of course) rounds down to zero! 8)

Wolf72

Explorer
so bucklers only hinder you (-1 attk) when attacking with 2 weapons.

okay, I would have applied that to two-handed weapons. But I guess it's easier to compesate for the weight if you're using both arms on one item.

iamrpgdm

Explorer
Artoomis said:
I think you'll find the consensus is that there is no penalty when using a two-handed weapon, but also no benefit.

I seem to recall Sage's advcie to that effect, but I could be wrong.

I found this in the DnDFAQ.

"The Player’s Handbook says you can use a buckler and fire a
bow or crossbow without penalty. Does this mean you get
the armor bonus from the buckler while firing the bow or
crossbow?

No. You can’t use the buckler’s armor bonus during any round
when you fire the bow or crossbow. Once you fire, you lose the
buckler’s armor bonus until your next turn."

Would it be reasonable to say then that if you use a two-handed weapon, that you also lose the bonus? I would think it would be hard to try to block an attack with your forearm while swinging a two-handed weapon around. Comments?

Bastoche

First Post
It's not only reasonnable, that's the only thing that make sense. I'm pretty sure you might find a place in the PHB stating that "When you use a two handed weapon, you can't use a sheild".

Of course when fighting with a two handed weapon you don't get the buckler's AC bonus. What we want to figure out is wheter or not you get a -1 to hit. I personnally rule that yes it does.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Buckler: This small metal shield is strapped to the forearm, allowing it to be worn and still use the hand. A bow or crossbow can be used without penalty. An off-hand weapon can be used, but a -1 penalty on attack rolls is imposed because of the extra weight on your arm. This penalty stacks with those for fighting with the off hand and, if appropriate, for fighting with two
weapons. In any case, if a weapon is used in the off-hand, the
character doesn't get the buckler's AC bonus for the rest of the
round.

I don't see anywhere in there that it says you get a -1 penalty when using a two handed weapon.

I searched through the SRD for "two-handed" and could not find anywhere where it said you could not use a shield with a two handed weapon. I think that this is just derived from that fact that a two handed weapon takes two hands to use. Since a buckler allows the use of the second hand even while being worn, I believe that you can use a two-handed weapon while wearing a buckler. And since there is no penalty put forth in the rules, I do not believe that a penalty should be applied.

The above says that you lose the AC bonus if a weapon is used in the off hand. I think that this includes two-handed weapons because a two-handed weapon is used in both hands (though it could certainly use some clarification).

But it says an off-hand weapon can be used at a -1 penalty. I believe that a two-handed weapon (though used in both the primary and off hands), is NOT an off-hand weapon in the technical sense.

So when is a weapon used in your off-hand not an off-hand weapon? When it is a two handed weapon. (It makes sense if you squint just right.)

Anyway, I think that if a buckler causes a -1 penalty to a weapon used exclusively in the off hand; then it should provide at most a -0.5 penalty to a weapon being used in both hands. The rules are quite clear that you round down in this case.

Henry

Autoexreginated
...However, it makes even less sense to me to allow someone to gain an AC Bonus from a buckler when using a two-handed weapon. It would make more sense to allow no penalty for the 2-hand/buckler combination.

iamrpgdm

Explorer
Originally posted by Xahn'Tyr
Anyway, I think that if a buckler causes a -1 penalty to a weapon used exclusively in the off hand; then it should provide at most a -0.5 penalty to a weapon being used in both hands. The rules are quite clear that you round down in this case.

What about if there is a buckler on each arm and they're using a 2-handed weapon? Would you say that there would be a penalty of -1?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases