To the noble BORN 6/9/08 (finished)

Jack of Tales

First Post
Cait starts to ride but pauses for the others to catch up. If it wasn't so dangerous out here I'd say let's race to the village and last one there can pay for rounds. She grins at the others and her horse prances in place, obviously picking up the girl's energy.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Chapter 1: the Fountain of Fortune
Summary of Events:

Week 1: Five young nobles are assembled by parents They are sent to find and drink from the magical “fountain of fortune”. Jason Aurilius, the son of an aggressive baron, is recalled due to family tragedy after one night on the road. Later, the group is ambushed by bandits, although most are peasants, one a is professional bandit. One of the peasants, Jonathan Keef surrenders. Kerin swears him to service, and Keef reveals that they were hired and directed to attack the group by a black-haired man with one-eye. A search of the bandits camp turns up 2 packets of unidentifiable black powder. Two other captives are turned over to the uncooperative and suspicious local baron, who hangs them.

Week2: The four are joined by young noblewoman. They begin their week-long journey into the wilds. The directions lead them to a magical fountain. A flash of light interrupts them, and it leads to the discovery of a colony of big, golden-furred spiders. During the battle the young noble woman transforms into an animal and flees from her companions, reacting more like an animal than a human. Many spiders of different sizes are killed in a furious battle.
One of the spiders old cocoons is found to contain a body with keys, and a letter from a nobleman, which abdicates his position as the baron of Southwick to any who can clear his keep. A magic cloak, scrolls and valuables are also recovered. Drinking from the magical fountain appears to have no result. The young woman returns and the group then decides to head for Southwick to discover the current conditions there. The way back leads through Bremenburg.
-----------------------

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Traveling back seems faster, the ladies bounce in thier saddles, and even manage a short run now and then. Although the fountain has yet to show any effects, adventure awaits in the Barony of Southwick!
One night even a dozing Keef is heard to mutter “Yes, my subjects, of course you can have more salt.”

After three days you have left the raw wilderness and are mostly following paths. You won’t reach Bremenburg that day, but perhaps by the next night? Then it begins to rain.

OOC At some point the gems are appraised at 10, 100 and 200 gp.
Next: fun in the mud!

You are making your way up a now muddy, narrow forest trail, when you hear dogs barking from ahead. Less than a minute later you come upon a dozen or so halflings standing among a pair of one-mule wagons. One wagon is obviously stuck in the mud, completely blocking the road. An un-hitched mule is held nearby. Three shoeless halflings and as many large dogs stand between you and the wagons, all spattered with mud, but brandishing weapons.
Well well, just stop there an minute !” one calls. Another voice “Daaad, they have one of us with them” The first speaker squints.
Well, so they do. You all be well met on this dreary day.” the armed halfling relax, and sheath weapons.

Last edited:

Jack of Tales

First Post
Hoo-Hah

The noble woman comes to a stop and smiles at the three halflings. Well met to you too. The weather is bloody awful! You look to be
havin' some trouble, do you need assistance?

Hmm I suppose we could always hitch that fellow Keef to pull it.

Dekana

Explorer
After the weapons have been lowered, Lily trots her pony to the head of the group of halflings. "Hail fellows! It's always a pleasure to see some friendly faces to liven up a miserable day such as this. And as my friend says, you look to be having some trouble with your wagon. Perhaps some extra power from a horse or two could help get you out of the mud, eh?" She pats the side of her pony's head for effect.

Although soaked from the rain, Lily has done well to keep herself mud-free today. When the party stopped to eat earlier, she stayed conspicuously on horseback. Not that she will be very troubled if her armor gets dirty, but the thought of getting dirt in her long hair is not appealing.

Fenris

Adventurer
Kerin dismounts, removes his helm and leads Swift over towards the wagon. The horse's belly swings over the heads of the halflings. Kerin positions Swift in front of the wagon and starts to hitch the wagon to Swift.

"If my poor horse here can carry my heavy clanking person around, I am sure he can help you folks get your wagon unstuck." he says with a smile.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
The halflings break out into smiles, and offer their thanks. Several begin to help readjusting the harness to fit the much larger Swift.

"well, well - that will be great help, good sirs, never met a knight that would lend his steed to halflings. I'm Craig Coplin, and this is my clan." He smiles and bows. Both gestures are more elaborate when facing Lily
"daaaad, what about Becky?" an adolescent halfling girl says as she emerges from cover.
"well, thats right, the real problem is not so much the cart but the horse as it were. Our mule is not at her best, and I'm afraid that the wagon and the mud are going to be too much for her."

Cait you notice that the unhitched mule is wheezing between breaths.

Remove ads