Skill Complications: A Combat-Like Approach to Skill Encounters

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
I had 5 players, so it's really not that much.

Overall, the system worked well. It had flavor, made sense and was well-structured. Unfortunately, most everyone wanted the Ranger to make all the skill checks and just blow over it, so it wasn't the biggest hit in the world. This is a new group I picked up over forums just for this module, so I'm not really familiar with their gaming styles. One througt it was great. The other four wanted to go fight things. M'eh. I'll try it again with a different group sometime.

Starfox

Hero
This is very similar to a timed system, but with a random element to the timer it has more spread and is therefore more dependent on skill levels. I like that there is no penaly for failure in the "normal" part, but I still think a straight timer would be better.

FireLance

Legend
Starfox said:
This is very similar to a timed system, but with a random element to the timer it has more spread and is therefore more dependent on skill levels. I like that there is no penaly for failure in the "normal" part, but I still think a straight timer would be better.
I think it depends on the circumstances. The rowing the sinking boat complication uses a straight timer as a base (1 automatic failure per round), although the PCs can still affect the rate at which failures accumulate or reduce the number of failures with successful skill checks.

In other cases, a timer may not be so appropriate. For example, in the tracking skill challenge from Heathen, there is no obvious time limit and it seems strange to impose one.

There, the challenge seems to be more along the lines of trying to gather information while hiding your activities from an evil organization. The amount of time you have to gather information would thus depend on how well you hide what you're doing (this could be abstracted by Stealth or Bluff checks) instead of a strict timeline.

So, if I were to re-write the Heathen skill challenge as a skill complication, the PCs may have to make Stealth or Nature checks while travelling, and additional Bluff or Streetwise checks if they talked to the villagers to avoid leaving clues which could tip off their enemies.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I tried this on a couple of friends today. And we tried the standard approach as well. We liked it. I also found that skill challenges often will be ad-hoc. Therefore it would be nice to hava a standard DM complication "battery".

I'm looking for two generic tests the DM can use in almost any situation. Any suggestions?

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
Something Breaks is always a good one. For physical challenges, a player twists an ankle, sprains a wrist, etc (good for an oft-unseen Heal check). If the rogue is picking a lock, one of his tools gets jammed.

For more talky challenges, try Second Opinion. Some NPC comes up with a counterargument to what the PCs are saying..

Frostmarrow

First Post
Something Breaks is always a good one. For physical challenges, a player twists an ankle, sprains a wrist, etc (good for an oft-unseen Heal check). If the rogue is picking a lock, one of his tools gets jammed.

For more talky challenges, try Second Opinion. Some NPC comes up with a counterargument to what the PCs are saying..

Both are good. I can't imagine something breaking every round though. Second opinion is great for DM's like me who like to talk via my NPCs.

I'm also thinking that this method is great for improvising. It should roughly follow this formula:

1. The players state their goal "We need to get licenses to bear arms in this here town".

2. The DM sets a secret DC and complexity. "15 6/3"

3. Each player gets a chance to act. "I use streetwise down at the market."
"I talk to the local church."
"I bribe a local official."
"I steal a writ and imtend to copy it."

4a. The DM notes the time-frame for actions. "1 hour per round."
4b. The DM comes up with two* forces that work in opposition of the group. "New bylaws postpone any new applications."
"The merchant guild opposes the group's efforts publicly."

5. Repeat from step 3 until success or failure.

* Half the group's size in numbers.

Opposed Skill Challenges

Last edited:

Remove ads