• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E is unacceptable

cinderember

First Post
Ok, I am sure you heard it all before. However, I have to vent a bit, so bear with me, and you can flame me or tell me I'm too negative or an idiot, or what-have-you, as most often do.[/FONT

I have been HONESTLY trying to be positive about 4E. I got the books, and have been trying very hard to work with them. Initially there were a lot of things that put me off after reading them. I especially did not like the shameless plugs for things here and there, especially the RPGA, which makes me feel like the only official D&D is RPGA run D&D according to WotC. I guess that is fine, though I feel it alienates those of us who don't particularly like RPGA events.

Secondly, it feels like someone took the PHB, DMG, and MM and ripped them in half, and weakly filled in the missing halves with filler that is both unfamiliar and not particularly creative. Then, we are offered the missing halves in book sequels, which will undoubtedly be ripped in half again, and so on. At this rate, I will have to wait several years before I can piece together some semblance of a complete or familiar game.

Ok, I like some things. I like the stream-lined-ness and ease of play. I like the organization. I like the mechanics, for the most part. I think they did well with the core mechanics.

The art is bloody awful in some parts. I have done better in photoshop myself, and I suck (see my art in Mystic Eye Games supplements, and you may agree). The non-uniformedness of the style and quality makes for really shoddy work. The layout is equally slapdash, with page numbers often drifting off the page entirely.

Also, a few rules make no sense to me, and seem to defeat the purpose of simplicity and common sense. Why not just call all powers “POWERS”….why change the name of the power for each class. It is clunky and confusing. And I do not understand the weapon size thing…why can small creatures use medium weapons in some fashion, but medium creatures can’t use large weapons at all? It makes little sense, and seems to contradict itself. There are many other instances of this bizarre stuff that seems to run contrary to the core 4E mechanic, which is actually not too bad.
[/COLOR]
I was willing to overlook all of this. I was willing to say “Oh well, no system is perfect, and this is the future of D&D, and I want to support it.”[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Sure, I was daunted by the OGL snafu, and the loss of publishing support from nearly all 3rd party publishers. I pressed on. Less to buy isn’t too bad, I can manage.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Then I downed the 22 page errata, and realized my books are basically trash. It’s been out 3 months and has a 22 page errata???? I know that 3E wasn’t much better, but this was supposed to be an improvement. And these aren’t little errors, either. I can’t have people in my game cross-referencing a pile of papers trying to figure out what basic things like Jump or Stealth do. It is pretty much the final straw. So they lost another dungeon master/player. I cannot use this game as it is. As much as I abhor Paizo (for personally treating me quite terribly on a customer service issue), I think I’ll just have to suck it up and invest in Pathfinder. *Shiver* I hate the name Pathfinder…reminds me of that awful Viking movie….but such is life. So ends 30 years of loyalty to D&D. It is a sad day. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
is life. So ends 30 years of loyalty to D&D. It is a sad day.

Please leave the colored text for moderator posts, thanks.

Dinkeldog/Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Forgive me if I get too academic with you, but: Take a chill pill, dude.

I happen to think 4e is an unfinished game, and that bothers the crap out of me. But I like the foundation and I'm remaining optimistic it will grow so that my expectations meet reality.

As for Paizo, I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but if there's one thing most folks agree on around here - and there aren't many - it's that Paizo's customer service is the best in the industry. I suspect you had an unfortunate experience that was very much the exception.

And yes, the movie Pathfinder did suck.

WP

Lancelot

Adventurer
4e is perfectly acceptable to me. I've played and DM'ed every version of D&D for 25-odd years now, and 4e suits me fine right now. Will I be tired of it in another 10 years? Maybe. But I was pretty darn tired of 3.5e, as of 6 months ago.

I find the art serviceable, and in many cases outstanding. It's less "dungeon-punk" than many 3e pieces, and (to me) seems more like a return to classic High Fantasy.

I certainly agree with your point about the errata. The amount of it so far is a little disheartening. But a lot of it can be hand-waved as you go. Many of the power erratas are more in the way of clarification or tightening, rather than active changes. Some of the others could be hand-waved or house-ruled already. The major one for me is reducing the DCs on skill challenges and diseases, and that's an easy rule to remember. Although not 100% accurate, simply reducing the DC of all skill challenges and diseases by 5 points is probably "good enough" if you don't want to keep a print-out of the errata handy.

Most important to me, regardless of my opinion as a DM, is the enjoyment of my group. My players are 100% behind the new rule-set. We're all enjoying it immensely, and it has reinvigorated our game. Despite my love of Paizo, there's no way I'd go back to 3e, 3.5e, or Pathfinder. By the same token, I accept if others feel differently and have no bone to pick with those other rulesets.

Mercurius

Legend
<
...filler...

<content>Ok, I like some things. I like the stream-lined-ness and ease of play. I like the organization. I like the mechanics, for the most part. I think they did well with the core mechanics.</content>

...filler...

Stream-lined-ness, ease of play, organization, good mechanics...sounds good to me!

But seriously, I agree with some of what you are saying but they are, by and large, nitpicks, especially in the RPG industry (and even from WotC). I mean, who cares about some of this stuff in the light of what you said that I quoted? If you like the actual game, then play it! I dislike most of the art, but it doesn't bother me too much. I mean, I don't have the play the art. It is just there when I design the game that I want to play.

In other words, make the game your own. Don't expect perfection from any game company and don't get lost in cosmetic stuff.

Stalker0

Legend
I happen to think 4e is an unfinished game, and that bothers the crap out of me.

I think in the long run this is my true complaint about 4e. The concept behind the mechanics is great, but the actual numbers have shown many holes in them...blatant holes that people have picked up on very quickly. Blade Cascade is probably the biggest example, people found broken combos with the basic rules within HOURS of the books being released. And of course there's just too few feats, paragon paths, and powers.

But I think after a few months we will have all the major errata, and we will have splats that fill in the gaps. At that point, 4e will be a solid system. Its going through its growing pains right now, but hopefully it will grow into something great.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I just dont' like that 4e plays slower than 3e. Combats simply take longer and the fact that I get "less playing done" is what bugs me the most. I think to bump up damage or lower hit points would really have been more desirable for me.

jh

Remove ads