• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

With a subscription to DDi Character Builder, buying a PHB2 isn't necessary.

renau1g

First Post
Besides, my 9 year old daughter can't wait to sit and look at the full druid section, so I don't really have a choice anyway.

Wow... awesome. I've got young twin boys and was wondering when to introduce my passion (& my wife's hooby) to them. When did you first introduce her to the game?

Drkfathr1

First Post
Sorry, I'd much rather have a physical copy. I can't take the DDI everywhere with me. I don't own a lap top and really don't have need of one. Plus I'm not a subscriber!

'sides, I need something to read when I'm making brownies. B-)

OchreJelly

First Post
Personally, I love the feeling of a book in my hands. I can't read off a computer screen, and I love reading through a new source book from start to finish and see if any new PC ideas come out of it.

I think WotC is counting on this so they don't fear one will replace the other. Egads! They know the gamer weakness is a love of books!

Irda Ranger

First Post
Isn't the PHB2 going to be appended to the DDi Character Builder shortly after release?

Not entirely; currently there are rules missing. For instance, the CB will help you make a character with a certain weapon, and the Compendium will tell you that that weapon has the Brutal 2 quality, but neither tool will tell you what "Brutal 2" actually does. You still need the AV (hardcover book) to tell you that. I expect that the same will be true for PHB2 and all future books.

Which I find really annoying, actually, because it makes the Compendium 98% less useful than the SRD ever was. I wish they'd found a better way to protect book sales than by gimping the Compendium. I don't find it nearly as useful as it could be as is.

Scott, if you're still reading this thread, please at least suggest to the Compendium team giving us book & page numbers for those sorts of things. Maybe a hover-over effect? The Compendium could at least be the Full & Complete Index o' D&D. That'd be super.

jgsugden

Legend
The books and DDI each provide some distinct benefits:

DDI is accessible anyplace you have internet access, making it possible to have almost all necessary resource material available from a laptop. WItht he books, you need to lug around all of those books to have access to all of that information.

The books will be yours forever. DDI will someday disappear. If you want to play 4E in 2030 (as opposed to 7E), you'll likely need the books. Actually, DDI compendiums and character builders disappear as soon as you stop paying for them - you're renting access, not buying it.

DDI makes it easier to access things you know exist. The books are easier to thumb through to find new and interesting stuff.

Books have pictures. DDI doesn't. Both can be seen as advantageous.

DDI is incomplete, while the books are out of date.

In the end, both products are good things to have.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
I was referring to the thread title more than the "truthiness" of the subject. As has been pointed out D&Di and the physical book offer related yet distinct features and benefits.

Yes you can build a Shaman with the CB but you don't get fluff, art and non-crunch rules info that you get in the book. At least that's what the copy of PHB2 on my desk shows me.

renau1g

First Post
Yes you can build a Shaman with the CB but you don't get fluff, art and non-crunch rules info that you get in the book. At least that's what the copy of PHB2 on my desk shows me.

I wish I had a copy of PHB2 on my desk, instead there's a copy of the income tax act... :(

tsadkiel

Legend
It's a good thing. I'm really only interested in three of the PHB II races, for instance, so rather than pay 35 dollars for about six pages, I can make use of a service I'm already paying for and print out what I want. (The Eberron player's guide on the other hand, I'll be buying.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads