• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign ends badly, 4th edition here we come!

S'mon

Legend
Our Necropolis campaign ended in a very gygaxian TPK.

Wrong choice. You are all dead. It was a little more elaborate, but that was the gist of it. ;)

The campaign wasn't really that great, so we were all glad to be able to start something new. :D

Bye
Thanee

We found Necropolis so horrible that we just abandoned it; the PCs left, I ruled that the Priests of Osiris finished up after them, and we did something else and more fun. It nearly killed the campaign, but did not in the end as we found other things to do.

A big part of the problem was the stats. High level 3e is incredibly hard to do. If it had been for 5th level PCs it might have been ok. It was one factor in me changing to running 3e with a 1-10 or 1-12 level range instead of 1-20.

Gundark

Explorer
We played until about 17th level in the AoW. I think we had 2 TPKs and a lot of player character death. We stopped at the island adventure as 3.5 was burning the whole group out. We didn't touch D&D again until 4th.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I've only ever had 1 game actually end (which happens to be my SH one below). It was initially ending badly: 1 player "jumped the shark" (his words) and went off solo for two sessions - doing a whole bunch of things while the other players were all committed to long-term actions so it didn't even make sense to switch back and forth between him and the other players.

The rest of the players didn't even want to play by the end of the second session and were pretty close to the climax of the game anyway, so we just did wrapped it up narratively, without any dice rolls. Worked out pretty well in the end - in fact, it turned from disaster to the best ending any of my games has ever had.

I've run about four or five long-term campaigns that just kinda petered out at some point, without any sort of definitive end. On had a small story climax where I could have ended the campaign, but we kept going and people kinda lost interest (in part since I had only planned the campaign up to that small climax).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
My 3E campaign actually ended well, and I was running RttToEE!

But I took steps to make sure that the last encounters were epic but doable for the party (and each party member) and that the thing would end in our lifetimes. Which meant skipping much of the outer fane, inner fane, recovered temple, and fire node (and about half the CRM)

Oh, and I tied it together to a PbP game involving older (2E) charecters and set the finale in the City of Brass, but that is another story.

EDIT: But back to the point, I was also glad it was done! And was planning on stopping with 3E in any case.

Last edited:

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Kyuss was defeated, and my paladin became the stuff of legend. It was as close to perfect as I'll ever see.

That's a crowning moment of awesome if there ever is one! We've had some similar events, with the one crucial dice roll at the dramatically appropriate moment, but never anything quite as cool. :)

Agamon

Adventurer
My 3E campaign actually ended well, and I was running RttToEE!

RttToEE was a meatgrinder, but was still fun. The big thing was that it ended at L14, right when things are starting to get annoying. Again, for me it was high level play that I disliked, not how tough an adventure was. If was stupid hard, I'd fix it up to be playable (I'm looking at you, Spire of Long Shadows!)

Dedekind

Explorer
We had 15 total character deaths for Shackled City with one TPK. The Paizo boards ran a thread on it and it seemed that the average campaign deaths was 17-20. I have no idea how that compares to most non-AP campaigns. I know for my group, they complained because it was by far the highest number of deaths in a 3e campaign.

I don't think it drove us to 4e, but the Paizo products are harder IMO.

Sigdel

First Post
My AoW campaigne ended when my best friend died in a car wreck. He was one of three PC's in the game and it just didnt seem right to continue on without him.

Remove ads