• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Done buying?

As a guy who never made the switch over to 4e, I'm finding the fact that product for my preferred edition of the game having essentially stopped is very liberating. Recently, I made a list of books that I wanted but still hadn't got, and it wasn't all that long. And once it's done... I'm DONE! I mean, there's nothing more to buy after that, really, ever again.

It's a little bit like having a car paid off after 60 months of making payments, or however long you set up your loan. Except, well, less dramatic.

I mean, even in the OSR movement, there's so much new stuff getting released all the time, and as exciting as that is in a way, you feel like you want to be on top of things all the time. I'm at a point where there's hardly anything left to buy at all.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I was done buying. . . until Paizo, with their wily, wicked, wanton ways seduced me, Pathfinder-style. :rant:

Now? I've got three of their hardcovers lined up (Core Rulebook, Bestiary, and GM's Guide) and who knows what, after that.

Plus, I'm back on the look out for other neat things. Some of them might end up replacing stuff in my bookshelf, and some might end up complementing said stuff, or other stuff. I'm optimistic, once again. :)

DiamondB

Explorer
Supporter
I was done buying. . . until Paizo, with their wily, wicked, wanton ways seduced me, Pathfinder-style. :rant:

Now? I've got three of their hardcovers lined up (Core Rulebook, Bestiary, and GM's Guide) and who knows what, after that.

Plus, I'm back on the look out for other neat things. Some of them might end up replacing stuff in my bookshelf, and some might end up complementing said stuff, or other stuff. I'm optimistic, once again. :)

I was in the same boat, happily thinking my spending was tapering off. CURSE You Paizo! :)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
As a guy who never made the switch over to 4e, I'm finding the fact that product for my preferred edition of the game having essentially stopped is very liberating. Recently, I made a list of books that I wanted but still hadn't got, and it wasn't all that long. And once it's done... I'm DONE! I mean, there's nothing more to buy after that, really, ever again.

Sweet, isn't it? Once I got over my irritation of being left behind, I heard my wallet singing WotC's praises. It is an enjoyable feeling. And I can honestly say that I am happy those people who weren't enjoying 3.x are in a product they like, too.

It's a little bit like having a car paid off after 60 months of making payments, or however long you set up your loan. Except, well, less dramatic.

Yeah. But you can also supe up that car when the money and the resources make it worthwhile. As a shameless plug, I'd like to direct you to my sig. Both products are geared for making the 3.x play even more liberating. And Complete Control is a "copper" seller over at RPGNow, meaning that it is in the top 25% in terms of quantity of sales. So there is still some support out there for 3.x material.

I'm at a point where there's hardly anything left to buy at all.

And the thing I love about it is since material that comes my way is much more limited, I can actually be more discerning. I don't feel like I have to keep up with the newest and latest. If something comes along that piques my interest, I can buy after I take my time to think about it and preview it. It is indeed a cool feeling.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Done buying ? DONE BUYING ????? :devil:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!:D

I have still plenty of Paizo in the upcoming years, exotic .pdfs from small time publishers, and if all else fails ... other RPGs. Warhamster, anyone ?

Otherwise, I get your point, and still share some of your feeling, as my spending budget in RPGs has diminished, but why stop completely ?

Nooooo way sir ! (At least as long as I am employed, and don't have ten children to feed).

Crothian

First Post
There are a few books left I might buy if I get them for a good price. But there certainly isn't anything left I really need.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I was thinking about this the other day. I've been buying every major D&D book since 1979, and it feels very wierd not to be buying new books. I'll buy Pathfinder, and perhaps that will change the pattern I'm in, but I am probably done buying.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I agree; it's been weird, but refreshing, to not be buying RPG books every month. PRPG will be my first RPG purchase this year.

But what have I done, instead? Started catching up on Magic: the Gathering sets I'd fallen behind on. WotC ends up getting my money one way or another. :)

Treebore

First Post
I've been done buying WOTC D&D since I bought the 4E PH, but there is still plenty of OGL to buy. Paizo being one of the biggest, but Mutants and Masterminds, Castles and Crusades, True 20, OSRIC, etc... are all OGL products I am still buying.

Bumbles

First Post
I've gone periods of 5-10 years where I bought nothing new RPG-wise, and occasionally a few where I've bought nothing used either.

That's even including video games. Yeah, it's very possible to take a hiatus from buying products and still have fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads