Votes: 0 0.0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Return

Uktar 17-Uktar 23, 1372 Return to Khundrukar, part I--Secrets

(Earlier that day)
Striding with purpose and heavy steps through the Temple of Justice, Benito was frustrated. Once again his mentor Brother Gippeto was evasive and cryptic when he asked questions about the truth to his heritage. He needed to get to the bottom of this mystery. The morning ceremony where he was elevated to the ranks of Solemn Brother were meaningless...meaningless. It was all a chasing after the wind. What was rank compared to finding out who his true mother and father were? He accosted a young acolyte and demanded where he could find Salazar, the mad priest of Ilmater. Realizing his harshness, he muttered an apology but hurried off to the garden...

There he was, Salazar, tending to the winter roses and muttering something. Benito approached, "Salazar, my friend, do you know who my father is?"

Salazar cackled and looked at Benito with an un-nerving blooshot stare. "Yes...yes young Benito, Salazar knows! He knows all!"

A fit of laughter and a mad trimming of the hedges followed. Benito felt that he was losing his mind. Balling his fist he reached out and grabbed Salazar by the cloak, trying to pull him up from trimming near the ground. The priest of Ilmater looked up and Benito saw a tear stream down the cleric's eye. Shaken, Benito kneeled. It seemed that Salazar's stare bore right through him, into his heart and his obsession.

"Please, please Salazar...tell me!" he cried holding back tears.

A moment of lucidity crossed over Salazar's face. He leaned closer exposing rotting teeth and foul breath. "He is...he is--" and then silence as Salazar mouthed the words, but no sound came out.

Benito tried to ask Salazar to repeat his words, but could not even hear himself speak. He beat his mailed fist on his breastplate...nothing. Standing up, Benito quickly looked around and saw a fleeing cloaked figure turn the corner back into the halls of the temple. Looking at Salazar, he saw that he was madly trimming again.

He gave chase to the fleeing figure and turned the corner, almost running into the High Abbot, Denton Crimsgard and his entourage.

"Lord High Abbot, please forgive me. Did you see a fleeing figure pass by you and your entourage?"

Crossing his arms and staring at the young priest Denton evenly replied, "No, young Benito, I did not. What is going on?"

"Nothing, my Lord. The person must have been too quick for you and your men to notice."

Benito tried to look past the priests and acolytes to see if he can catch another glimpse of the figure. Before he could question any of the acolytes, Denton pointed back to the garden.

"See to Salazar. He might harm himself!"

Benito spun around to see the mad cleric holding the shears to his neck. He ran over to stop him. Dropping the shears, Salazar began giving chase to a butterfly. Benito looked back towards Denton and his group. Denton, arms folded rubbed his chin and shook his head disapprovingly, then he and his men turned around and headed back towards the chapel.

"I have to get out of here," thought Benito. "This is too much."

He retrieved his horse and headed to meet the companions at the Great Axe. The answers and the sword would have to wait until he returned from Khundrukar as Alberia had revealed to the group during the week that she sought her father. At least she would find answers to the mystery that plagued her. Looking up at the sky as he contemplated this, Benito spoke, "Tyr, please be merciful to your servant. Let these questions be answered!", and he rode towards the southern part of Alaghon....

Later that evening, he related the events to Alberia who suggested that they visit Gippeto later that night. Before they could leave, however (but after Mourn sang his epic), they and the rest of the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach, Aris, Nosr, Ellysidel and Mourn heard a knock at the door....

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Uktar 17-Uktar 23, 1372 Return to Khundrukar, part II--A New Friend and an Old One

Benito runs to the door and opens the peep hole to see who is arriving at the Great Axe at this late hour. Aris follows close behind.

"We're closed for a private party. Go away!" explains Aris in his best gruff voice.

Benito sees hesitation on the young, hooded man's face. However, he gathers the courage to speak, "I am here responding to your inquiry for hirelings...I mean adventurers."

Alberia calls from behind Aris and Benito, "We already have enough cohorts. Please inquire elsewhere."

Aris nudges Benito aside, looks through the door slot and being intrigued by what he sees opens the door. There is a young man, no more than a boy wearing a heavy green cloak to guard agains the cool air. He carries a short staff or walking stick with gem at the top. His eyes gleam with hope.

"Well, who are you and what can you do?" asks Aris.

All the Heroes are now gathered near the door casting skeptical glances at the newcomer.

"He's not evil," whispers Alberia to Benito.

Some casually rest their hands on the pommels of their weapons,however, just in case.

"I am Milo of Raven's Bluff. I delve in unique magics."

"We don't need another mage!" yells Nosr from the back of the group.

Aris, seeing the practicality of having more artillery at his disposal, raises his eyebrow, "Well let's see what you got... Ellysidel!"

The Heroes go outside to the "courtyard" of the Great Axe and Aris asks Milo to cast a spell at Ellysidel. "Don't worry, he can take it," Aris says assuringly as Milo begins to balk.

As this is happening, Benito's uncanny Tyr-sense hears something climbing or moving along the rocks towards the beach. He and Alberia go quickly to investigate, but find nothing. Benito shares his worry about the days events with Alberia. They return to the rest of the group seeing Milo's admissions test in progress.

"Yes, do not worry, young whelp. I can take a lot of punishment. Try your best!" claims Ellysidel.

Milo shrugs his shoulders and takes a deep breath. To the others, he gets a glazed look over his eyes and holds out his hand. A golden sheen appears on his arm and a plasma-like substance escapes his palm and hits Ellysidel squarely in the chest. Everyone around him hears the ringing of bells in thier ears. Ellysidel hears a gong as the energy feels like the punch of an ogre and knocks him to the ground. Milo smiles, but quickly erases it.

As Ellysidel picks himself off the ground he hears a voice in his head... Are you well, wild one? Are you the one from the Floating Tree on the Big Water?

"Impressive...," comments Aris, "You're may join us."

Ellysidel repsonds to that familiar voice, It cannot be! Is that you, small ghost?

Yes...it is I.

I was never able to thank you for saving my life.

"Yes, you are hired," adds Alberia, "We are offering 2 silver per day."

"No," says Aris,"we would like you join us for an equal share. We are looking to replace one of our spellcasters who will now see to the running of our businesses here in Alaghon. You may join us."

Aris extends his arm to shake Milo's hand.

I have heard of your exploits and know that your are looking for someone with my talents, wild one. I wish to join you. I am tired of running around through the alleys and sewers of this stone forest. I wish for the open lands and wooden forests....(sigh)...

Yes, make yourself known. Our leader, Aris, is harsh, but fair. We fight to defeat evil and right wrongs. Join us!

As they are grasping forearms, Aris adds. "However, your joining the Heroes has its responsibilities. Don't ever quit from a battle and don't ever betray us, or..."

"..Or you will feel...pain...ex-cru-ciating...pain!" adds Nosr clenching and unclenching his fists and beginning but stopping the casting of a magic missle letting the glow linger in his hand menacingly.

Well, maybe not. Your oaths seem too rigid. I think I will remain hidden and watch you some more. Your armored warriors could not find me. I will stay safe .

Milo's eyes widen while the rest of the Heroes laugh.

No, small ghost, Hahahaha... They are just joking. We are not too serious a bunch here at our inn

Very well, then. Here I come.

The laughter of the Heroes is broken as a halfling appears from behind the rocks and bushes. Weapons slide from their scabbard even though the halfling appears palms facing forward not brandishing weapons. Before Benito, Aris, or Alberia can smite the invader down, Ellysidel steps in front.

"This is the halfling who saved my life from the slavers!"

Everyone is shocked, but lowers their weapons. Aris and Benito have questions on their faces. Alberia and Nosr are totally lost. Mourn laughs even harder and puts a finger to his head to remind himself to make room for this new chapter in the chronicles of the Heroes.

"I am Grim. That...is name...I now take, " says the halfling in elven. It is clear that he is unused to using speech. His speech is halted and slow. "I...join you because...wild one...is from...home."

Grim and Ellysidel shake hands vigorously and move off to talk about Chondalwood where their loved ones live and what Grim has been doing these last several months. The Heroes retire inside, but Alberia senses that Benito is pre-occupied in thought.

"What is it, solemn brother?" she asks

Benito again relates the days events, but in more detail. Alberia is shocked and is about the say something but holds back. She pauses, and instead says, "We must visit Brother Gippeto and find some answers."

They excuse themselves from the party, saddle their mounts and ride quickly to the Temple of Justice....
(What's up with that!?)

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Uktar 17-Uktar 23, 1372 Return to Khundrukar, part III--Assassins

Alberia and Benito ride hard towards the Temple and are only slowed down by Alaghonian watchmen guarding the gate to the inner city. They are not given trouble and pass claiming urgent business at the Temple of Justice. Once at the temple, their mounts are stabled and they make their way unchallenged through the halls to Brother Gippeto's quarters.

Benito knocks on the door. An acolyte answers, half-asleep.
"Brother Benito, it is late. Brother Gippeto is asleep."

"Please wake him. We have urgent business."

"It is late, and what are you doing here so late and with a woman?"

Benito seethes, "How dare you accuse me and a holy paladin of Tyr of any impropriety! Get. Brother. Gippeto."

Alberia chimes in trying to diffuse any situation and prevent Benito from smashing the acolyte's face, "If Gipetto does not deem our request urgent, let him decide whether or not to see us."

The acolyte looks back and forth, a bit fearful and now fully awake, at the cleric and paladin from the doorway of the antechamber and decides to wake Gippeto. He passes through the door into the main chamber while Alberia and Benito leave the hallway and wait inside the outer room. The wait is not long as Brother Gippeto motions the Heroes quickly into his room. The acolyte waits outside. Benito relates the event of the day.

"We fear for the priest of Ilmater's life," says Alberia.

"Yet we cannot watch him as we travel to seek Alberia's father, Dorthan Lhal," adds Benito.

Gippeto smiles, "Yes, Sir Dorthan. He is a brave man and a noble man indeed. I am glad that you have followed in his footsteps. His shoes are big ones to fill. Hopefully, he lives yet and has found the object of his quest."

Curious, thinks Benito Denton really had only negative things to say about Alberia's dad. That he was 'obsessed and over-focused'. 'Too much of a relegious zealot'. What's going on here?...I don't want to think about it!

It seems that Benito misses some of the conversation between Alberia and Gippeto about Cormyr and what is going on there. Evenutally, the topic comes back to Salazar.

Brother Gippeto runs his hands through his balding pate, "I will do what I can to watch poor Salazar. Why anyone would increase his suffering even more is beyond me. He has seen too much in his life already. Go, find your father Alberia. Make sure she survives the quest, Benito. And you two come back alive. I see that the past comes back more quickly than we want. I will pray to Tyr for guidance. Things are getting so complicated....(sigh). It seems that eventually we all grow up." He smiles, "Well, return quickly to your companions so you will be ready and alert on the morrow. Tyr, be with you."

Benito and Alberia leave and the acolyte who gave them a hard time smiles broadly at them as they depart--maybe too broadly.

"Aaargh! I didn't pin him down about my father!" curses Benito as they ride at a walk through the city lost in their own contemplations.

Alberia is silent, holding her thoughts and mulling over what was said and several other questions running around in her head. What is everyone hiding? Why does Denton Crimsgard keep his distance and remain relatively aloof to the paladins at Castle Grimjaws? Gippeto seemed a lot friendlier than most of the clerics at the Temple of Justice. Or is it just because they're all Turmish

She hears a skitter across the cobblestone street, followed closely by another. Looking down she sees a crossbow bolt skip across the ground.

"That's odd," she says pointing towards it.

"What?" asks Benito.

Before she can respond, pain rips through her and she hears a PLUNK! Benito growls in pain as well as she sees a bolt appear just above his shoulder blade. She looks down and sees a bolt in her side. The bolt has a burning, itchy feel and her eyes widen looking up towards the rooftops.

"Assassins!" yells Benito drawing Dragon Summoner "Come down here cowards so I may smite you down!"

He is rewarded with another bolt--this one to the leg--while another one is stopped by Alberia's shield. Seeing one assassin on each side of the street and thinking more may be coming or charging out of the buildings to either side, Alberia seeks the better part of valor. She grabs the reigns of Benito's horse and spurs Slovack forward. Benito's horse follows to his suprise and vehement protests.

"What are you doing, Alberia?!" When they stop, he heals himself and turns his horse around to go back to the site of the assassination attempt.

By the time he gets back there, the thugs have run off and are nowhere to be seen. He trots back to where Alberia is. She has removed the bolt from her side and seemed to have not succumb to the poison on its tip.

"Since when do paladins of Tyr run from a fight?"

"Folowing Tyr's precepts do not make one stupid! Aris would have approved of our tactical retreat. You are a fool to think you can survive against assailants on higher ground."

"Bahhh! Tyr's might would have allowed me to strike them down even from a distance."

Benito is not as fortunate as Alberia with the poisoned bolts. His strength is sapped as his adrenalin runs its course. He calls upon Tyr to alleviate the loss and rides with Alberia back to the Great Axe, brooding....still apparently angry at Alberia for not allowing him to mete out justice.

Alberia relates what happened to the rest of the group. Aris is angry, but sees that any vengeance must wait until they return to Turmish's capital. At that time he, Nosr, and Grim promise to scour the underworld of Alaghon and get names. Benito paces....

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Player comments

Originally posted by Zen_Pollo--

Alberia speaks:
1) At this point in the game, Alberia feels that she owes Mourn for her life and she is determined to repay this life-debt. However, she does not know what she can do to reward him for his self-sacrifice. Moreover, she was one who had argued against raising Mourn from the dead. She believed that his death had been avenged since his murderer, Great Ulfe, was slain. Hence, Justice had been carried out. She felt that, according to the Precepts of Justice, Mourn had sacrificed himself in a Just Cause against Evil and his death should be honored. However, his death was part of the order of things and his reward in the Afterlife should not be disturbed by the Heroes' intervention. Additionally, She did not want to travel back to Alaghon since the lair had not been completely cleared and she feared new evil would find a home in the dwarven ruins vacated by the orcs. After Mourn was raised, Alberia felt that arguing against raising a man whom had saved her life was not in good grace. She had felt that her actions were both ignoble and cruel. She realizes that she spoke against Mourn because she was afraid and frustrated. Now that Mourn is alive, She feels awkward and guilty around him. Therefore, she is grateful to leave Alaghon because, until her debt is settled, she will never be at ease in the Inn of the Great Axe!

2) Alberia had traded some bracers of defense +1 and some gold for a +1 longsword while the heroes were in Alaghon.

3) She spent some time at Castle GrimJaws during the ten day break to visit with her old training masters and friends. While there, she learned that her father was seeking an ancient artifact, known as the Orb of Khundrukhar, thought to be entombed in the dwarven fortress. Alberia found out that Sir Dorthan had intended to find the artifact and bring it back to Cormyr in order to aid with the troubles at home.

4) She also hired three mercenaries and a groomswoman to guard their basecamp and protect their mounts once they get back into the Stone...Of course, she made sure to hire only reputable Tyrites whom were recommended by Brother Gippeto. She agreed to pay them 2 silvers a day in wages for the care of their mounts and for protection of the base camp. If none of the mounts die, the mercenaries and groomswoman can keep the mounts Aris purchased for them as a reward.

5) She went to the enclave of the Thayvian wizards and found at least one wizard there whom was overtly evil. This, coupled with her prior knowledge of the Red Wizards, prompted her not to accept Benito's offer of magical gear since his magical endeavors were fueled by Thayvian Witchery! Later, you will see her actions vindicated by others.

6) The other reason she decided to run from the ambush was that she had left her Full Plate(made by Aris and Benito) at the Great Axe Inn. After all, who wears Full Plate when riding about town?...(well, aside from Munchkins) Alberia was getting shot full of holes since she was not wearing ANY armor except her shield. Moreover, Alberia did not think it wise to confront the Assassins on their own ground under conditions they favor. She realized that somehow, someone had known they were coming and had arranged for this encounter. Sadly, Alberia understood, even if Benito did not, that whomever had set this ambush up knew the Assassins' strengths and the Heroes' weaknesses. If she and Benito had ran after the Assassins, Alberia knew they would be murdered or worse. In addition, Alberia deduced that whomever had arranged the ambush must have known the pair would be coming back from the Temple of Justice and heading towards the Great Axe Inn. Only the guards at the city gate and the people at the Temple of Justice knew of their destination. Coupled with Benito's account of the Silence spell earlier that day, Alberia has come to a conclusion -- a Rat stalks Alaghon and it lives in the Temple of Justice!

7) Alberia feels somewhat put out by Denton Crimsgard. She discovered a prayerbook of Tyr which Crimsgard had written and had dispersed to the followers of Tyr in Alaghon. While not exactly heretical in nature, she definitely finds something....OFF in his writings but cannot quite put a finger on it. In the next post, Broc may elaborate on Benito's and Alberia's debate over Denton Crimsgard's brand of Tyrite worship.

8) After the ambush on the way back from the temple and the incident with the chimney, Alberia has begun to understand the limitations of Full Plate Armor. Towards this end, Aris later made her a chainmail shirt to wear while sleeping and walking about town--for which Alberia is grateful. Alberia is curious about Aris' generosity. After all, she has seen the ledger by which Aris meticulously records the debts of his friends. She wonders why Aris has not asked her for any money...

Incidentally,
Alberia also dispatched a letter with a merchant heading towards Cormyr to her Stepmother in Suzail detailing the status of her search for her missing father.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Return (cont.)

Uktar 17-Uktar 23, 1372 Return to Khundrukar,part IV--Powers

Benito couldn't sleep. He paced back and forth at the Great Axe. Curiously, neither could Nosr. Benito thought about the events of the recent past. Nosr delved deep into his own past. What had caused this power to manifest? He wanted to learn more. Benito was available and they talked.

"Cast a mean spell on me, Benito. I think I can block it."

Benito complied but at the last second, Nosr let down his guard and was not ready to take on the divine magic. Benito caused him pain.

"I became scared at the last second. Let's try again."

The cleric of Tyr cast another spell to harm Nosr. This time something happend. Nosr absorbed the spell. Both spellcasters' eyes went wide.

"I feel that the power is still inside me. It is on the edge of wanting to be used. This is cool!"

"That is strange," replied Benito. "We must see if it is still there tomorrow. Can you take more?"

"I feel that I can, but maybe not now. Let's try again tommorrow."

Spells make you tired. They went to sleep: Benito's mind distracted by the mystery of Nosr's spell absorption and Nosr dreaming of tales from his childhood....
======================================
The next day, a crisp and cold Uktar morning, the Heroes finally set off on horseback without a cart of wagon. The trip is uneventful for the first two days. On the third day, Ellysidel and Grim spot a bird flying high in the sky. It seems to be spying on them and it moves with them the whole day. The fourth day it is still there, and in the afternoon, it is joined by a second. Late in the afternoon, with Blasingdell only several hours away, one of the birds begins to descend. The party becomes wary and stops.
The bird circles the formation a few times and then comes to a rest in front of the adventurers. It changes form to become a human dressed in green robes.

"Hail, heroes of Alaghon. The Emerald Enclave sends you its greetings and a warning. We warn you that the days of the Thayvian Enclave in Alaghon are numbered. We inform you that any further dealing with them will be construed as an affront to us. Do not cross our path. You have been forewarned."

The man changes form back into an eagle and takes to the skies. Benito's jaw drops. Aris nods his head, "The servants of the goddess have spoken..."

"Who?" asks Milo.

Ellysidel nods his head in agreement with Aris. Grim agrees with Ellysidel.

"But, Denton says Hinar is not evil," bemoans Benito.

Alberia points a finger. "See. I told you so. Something is rotten in the Temple. I read your prayer book written by your High Abbott. It is just not right. Now it is beginning to make sense."

"How dare you accuse Denton of wrongdoing! That is the book of prayers I grew up with." Benito shifts uneasily in his saddle.

"Exactly! That explains the problems with the Temple of Justice."

"Problems...problems! The Temple of Justice is flourishing. The faith of Tyr is strong in Alaghon. This is not like Cormyr where the faith is weak. That is probabaly why there have been so many problems there lately. You are not keeping to the true teachings and Tyr is showing you a lesson."

"How can you say this...this book of rote prayer and false doctrine can keep to the true teachings!" Alberia shakes the teachings of Denton Crimsgard in her mailed fist.

"It is obvious. Look at Turmish--strong and mighty and economically sound. Cormyr--weak and at war. Tyr is teaching you a lesson. Hah! and your late king. He has learned the ultimate in justice. You have even been taught to run from a fight!"

"ENOUGH!" shouts Aris. "You do not know Cormyr and King Azoun. I fought with him against the Tuigan!"

Alberia is on the verge of tears, "It...will...be...made...clear, Benito. Your Abbott is hiding something and you know it. This is false!"

She throws the book to the ground and has Slovack trample it underfoot.

"How.Dare.You!" cries Benito.

Aris draws his scimitar and grips it tightly thinking dark thoughts. "Aaaaah!" He spurs his horse forward far ahead of the rest.

Alberia and Benito continue to argue while the rest of the Heroes trot ahead to keep Aris company. Darkness falls as the Heroes reach Blasingdell. Benito and Alberia are still arguing even as the adventurers take quarters at the Griffon's Nest. Finally, they stop and go to their corners. Alberia goes to visit Sir Berrick. Benito is all riled up and can't rest while the rest of the Heroes, tired from the road grab a meal and take it in their room. Nosr seeing a chance to talk to Benito and study some more. This time Milo is brought into the conversation. Benito casts some more harmful spells and this time Nosr has no problem absorbing them. Milo is impressed. So is Nosr; surprised at what he can do. Milo retires, but Benito and Nosr decide to keep watch on the porch....Benito now has had time to think over the events from several days ago. I need to apologize to Alberia....

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Uktar 17-Uktar 23, 1372 Return to Khundrukar, part V--Snakes and the Attack of the Gnolls

Alberia was walking home from Sir Berrick's-- informing him of their return and their desire to explore Khundrukar again--to rejoin the rest of the company at the Griffon's Nest. As she makes her way through the streets of Blasingdell she sees what looks like an adventuring band or group of merchants approaching the inn. At the porch, she also sees Benito and Nosr 'standing guard'. Quickly, she runs to stand with her companions. A conversation is already in progress as she arrives.

The travellers introduce themselves as Diero, Marcon, and Lashela along with their two dwarven servants whose features remain hidden within the folds of their cloaks and cowls. They are merchants from Hlondeth and wish to take quarters at the inn and maybe engage in some trade. Alberia uses her divine gifts and determines that the 'merchants' especially Diero are intensely evil. She also notices some strange quirks among Diero's two human-looking companions. Marchon licks his lips and his eyes dart back and forth. As she interrupts Benito's attempts at diplomacy with this group, she also engages in some verbal sparring with Lashela, who has a very distinct lisp...as if she were hissing when she spoke. Benito sends Nosr to get the rest of the group, but is able to eventually get a word in edgewise and with eloquent speech is able to convince the group that they should seek quarters elswhere. Ominously, Diero laughs and says that perhaps they can stay at a farmer's cottage on the outskirts of town. As they leave, Alberia is convinced she sees lizard-like tails escape from beneath the folds of the dwarves' cloaks.

They retire to the inn, and enter their room to see both Aris and Ellysidell at the window, bows drawn. Grim is nowhere to be found. Aris informs the group that Grim is out on a errand and that they will leave before light the next day. Grim returns and confirms that the Hlondethans are staying at a cottage on the outskirts of town. He did not approach the place, however.
Early the next morning, before first light the Heroes prepare to leave, but are very wary. They spot someone spying on them and give chase. The person runs, but Aris's new boots allow him to pass the quarry up.

"Can I help you?" he asks

"No you may not," the person is revealed to be Marcon, and he touches Aris with the palm of his hand--turned a sickly, ectoplamsmic green color that spreads over Aris as Marcon connects.

Taking offense, Aris cuts him down as the others arrive--first Benito, then Milo (!)then Ellysidell. Benito heals him to consciousness and begins interrogations, placing the manacles on him just in case. Ellysidel watches the street. Marcon spits on Benito and the cleric quickly removes the foul spittle that seems to be caustic. The prisoner does not budge and gives no information. At about this time Ellysidel and Benito hear a gasp from Aris as the genasi sinks to his knees. Whatever the creature did with its touch, while taking some time to set in, floored him. Milo restores the life drain from some magical spell and Aris declares that the prisoner is too dangerous to keep and executes him on the spot much to the chagrin of Benito who felt he was on the verge of a successful interrogation. They return to the rest of the group who has readied the horses by this time to get to Khundrukar. The horses' breath creates much steam on this frosty and cold Uktar morning. A debate arises as well--to hunt down the rest of the spies or to get to Khundrukar. Benito is in the minority as the cleric wishes to take out the Hlondethans now instead of dealing with them later. Aris and Alberia believe that Marcon was used as a delaying tactic and the enemies will already be in place to ambush the Heroes later on the road. The vote is made to ride to Khundrukar.

No ambush takes place and the Heroes make camp, a half-day's ride from the Stone Tooth. During the night, the Heroes are attacked. In orcish, they hear "You are outnumbered, give us your gold and we will kill you quickly!"

The Heroes do not give in to scare tactics and see a force of nearly a dozen gnolls arranged in a semi-circle around their camp. Instead of negotiating, they attack. Ellysidell single handedly takes out one wing of the circle (consisting of at least 3 if not more gnolls) hacking and slashing. Grim, hiding in a tree, takes down a gnoll or two with attacks that they do not expect. Benito, Aris, and Alberia let the foolish dog-men come to them and cut them down. Even the mercenaries have a hand in the dispatch of their foes. The only worry in the skirmish comes when two or three gnolls attack Milo and Nosr. Milo strikes one down, but Nosr is injured by the battle axe of another. As two gnolls close on him, however, he lashes out with some sort of magical fire that burns both gnolls to cinders. Milo is impressed as he watches the white-hot fire stream past the downed foes into the trees for some distance. Fortunately, the trees do not catch although a wonderful path is blazed for some 400 ft. Nosr, no longer scared from a close call with death finishes off some more gnolls by throwing an ice dagger into a group. While this finishes the adversaries, it also injures a mercenary, Aris, and Benito.

Aris in not pleased, but when he fixes Nosr with his stare, Nosr just shrugs his shoulders, "Move out of the way, next time."

When all is said and done, there are only minor injuries among the Heroes and their allies, Ellysidell is covered with the most gore, and Aris determines that the gnolls came in the direction of Khundrukar by scouting and following their tracks for a bit. Before Ableria executes the gnoll prisoner that Benito discoverd (and had manacled), they discover that the gnolls killed the orcs that fled from Khundrukar the last time the heroes were here. The rest of the night goes without incident and the characters pack up and travel onward.

They set up camp at the base of the trial, leaving the three mercenaries and groom with the horses. On foot, the Heroes of the Vilhon reach decide to go in through the front door.
Not suprisingly, the door is guarded. Aris, Ellysidell and Grim, sneak to see two gnolls guarding a closed door. They are dispatched and a mad race begins amidst bow fire from arrow slits that line the stairs to get to the large dwarven doors the bar passage into Khundrukar. Alberia lags behind, but only takes one arrow as the rest of the group attacks the door into the dwavern hold. Ellysidell tries to break the door down, but fails. Grim shakes his head and showing little effort dislodges the bar and lock. The Heroes storm in and begin clearing out gnolls from their nests.

The battle is quick and bloody for the gnolls as the heroes, blessed by their gods lop of the heads and arms of their enemies, following them through the secret passages, topping stairs, and ducking around corners to finish them . Aris, using his skills at tracking determines that there are more gnolls in the complex and one fled to warn others. As the Heroes plot their next move, they ready for battle behind the next door.

(Whew! says the DM)

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Aris speaks about his history:

Allow me to relay that bit about the diffusion of the situation with the other party Benito. Aris arrived just in time to calm and in an unusual circumstance chastise Alberia for her insistence in starting a fight with the evil party. Do not forget that it was smart of Nosr to take off and get me because we had two Archers waiting in the windows just in case anything went down. Preparation helps. And to address the other question of a preemptive strike against the Hlondethans after their friend tried to meddle with us, my decision was prompted by caution and concern for the whole group. If Benito would have been more calm and less...let me see, demanding, angry, and less bossy, Aris would have more than likely been more apt to listen. Sometimes young Benito's passion gets the better of him and he knows how to get under Aris' skin. Not a good situation if you want a suggestion to be heard. But granted Aris should not have been angry and sometime leadership is a burden that weights heavily.

Let us look and remember that tacticly we have done well, and Aris has more than proven his sincerity toward the presevation of the party. With personal funds, I have supplied the healing potions, paid for most of the scrolls, the raisings, and also for the retirement of a comrade. In Aris' farsight he has made excellent armour for the party, including Masterwork chainshirt for Alberia to wear at night, so as not to be unarmored in the wilderness. He has gifted Benito with a Mighty composite bow,and masterwork breastplate,Grim with a Masterwork crossbow, and supplied our young Psion with such equipment and healing potions. Why is it that when things are a little strange concerning Aris, our resident holy people automaticaly assume their leader is evil or Undead? Paranoia! That is my job. Why is it no one appreciates the efficient job in which Aris outfits the heroes, organizes movement, and sets up contingences? Ahh! the burdens of leadership. Although I am very grateful for the boots Benito, I am tired of being suspected of evil when I display unique abilities. Loyalty, Integrity, Selfless service, Respect. Actions speak louder than words. If only some would ask why their leader is so grim,dark,brusque, and unchruzamatic, he may reveal the tale. Or ask the bard, he knows. No, I do not want an autocracy here, but a little understanding between us would go a long way.

Let us start at the beginning... Aris was born in 1332, the Year of the Sword and Stars (four years before Azoun IV took the throne)from the union of Hasimir al Dh'ib of the Sons of the Wolf tribe, a sha'ir of vast power as well as a reknown swordmaster from that Land of Fate, Zakhara and the half djinni Jaheira also a powerful sorceress and sha'ir in her own right. They were brought together by a deal struck between Hasimir and Jaheira's father. Hasimir was well known to be a wily and enigmatic man, who had performed numerous undisclosed services for Geniekind as well as help bolster the tribe. The name of Hasimir al Dh'ib was well known in the Desert and Genie courts. The marriage was arranged and it was said that love was there as well. (It was rumored that Hasimir had already met his bride to be in an previous adventure...whose to say he did not manipulate events to win her hand.) Upon the end of the week long marriage festivities it was announced by Hasimir's in-laws that they must now depart the lands of Fate, and attend to her dowry in a far off land, the land of the Burning Sands(Tethyr). In solemn aggreement they went. Unbeknowest to most of the Tribe, Hasimir knew of the lands of Tethyr and already secured alliances and holdings, as accorded the aggreement, for Hasimir and his mysterious dealings with the Genies took him away to many adventures and far away lands. Aris was born on his family's holdings in Tethyr he was named Aris al Dh'ib ibn Hasimir of House Cloud Dancer. His childhood was filled with much joy as well as learning in taking care of his people. Growing up he learned many things and come to realize perhaps all the stories he heard were real. Fate had its place in Aris' life. His parents were renouned for their crafts as well as for receiving refugees onto their lands, people with similar customs as his own house hold. Important people came from all over. Young Aris saw pale skinned barbarians from far to the North and rare Wild Elves from the southern lands. Hasimir would always tell young Aris be like the Wolf in his heart. Protect home and pack. Family and friends, the people were his pack, Loyalty always, but be wary. Wolves hunt with cunning and sleep lightly.

When he was 16 Alemander IV died and the Tethyrian civil war erupted. Hasimir fearing for his sons lives sent them away with trusted companions. Unfortunately for Aris he was taken by an old friend of his father's who became a traitor (1348 DR). He was a noble ranger who had given in to dark emotions and now served Malar. Young Aris was sold to the Zhentarim who in turn turned him over to a Dao, who had evidently paid handsomely for the young Genasi. The Dao kept Aris a slave for six long years (1348-1354DR) . The boy endured humiliation, torture,and the most degrading jobs possible at Zhentil keep. Aris had learned from the Dao, that his father was the Dao's most hated foe and any harm he can do to Aris is for revenge against his family. "A vendetta exists between your father and I, my revenge is complete by making his first born my slave."

These words were never forgotten by Aris as the Dao spoke those words to him years ago. One night after being savagely whipped for his most recent attempt of escape the half alive Aris held precariously on to life. He called out to Fate."Just one chance, a chance for freedom, I would give anything to live so I may be free and have my revenge." Fate heard the young Genasi. In Aris' fevered dreams he dreamt someone spoke to him and said" For a chance of freedom and revenge what would you give Cloud Dancer." Aris replied I would give my most precious gift. The voice replied, "done." The next day Aris found a loose bolt in the sewer grate and using the edges of his manacles he pried the grate loose and fled through the sewer system. Aris swam through the flooded waters of the sewer system. Two miles underwater, he swam, walked, and drifted out of Zhentil keep and into freedom. No guards pursued, no one could survive being in the tunnels when they had been flooded much less survive against the foul beings beneath the Keep, so thought the Dao and the guards. Aris fled the Zhentarim when he was 22.

Aris was found by a kindly elven druid and ranger who nursed him back to health. During the months the Aris told the his tale to the druid and ranger, and realized his dream was not a dream. His personality was not the same he found himself to be more brusque and more given to long silences. He had given up his sorecerous gifts and with that a piece of himself. No regrets thought the young Man. Freedom is all that mattered and life, for with it, vengeance could be had. Aris spent the next four years searching for his parents and siblings he finally found his way to Cormyr, he sought out an old family friend, perhaps the only one he could remember, who may remember the young boy from Tethyr. The noble knight help set the young man up as a craftsman and adjust to a semblance of a normal life. The noble knight could not tell Aris the whereabouts of his lost family. A coulple years went by and War came to Cormyr in the form of the Tuigan Horde in the year 1360. Aris fought with the Purple Knight, a former paladin of Tyr and a noble of Cormyr and acted as his aide, the many ablities of the Genasi were a great asset to the officer. It was during this war that Aris met and fought with Zaranda Star, the future queen of Tethyr. Aris served with her also in the capacity of a scout and aide. It was during this war that Aris found his calling. Tactics and strategies he understood, and being present for many of Zaranda's and the Purple Knight's all night planning sessions, Aris learned the art of War. It would be seven years later Aris would be fighting again with Zaranda during the Year of the Gauntlet. Aris would put his growing Arms and Armour business to supply the war and lend his sword arm to a worthy cause.

In 1369 The Tethyrian reclamation war ends but struggles along Tethyr's borders remain (i.e. the secession of Riatavin from Amn and the conflict with Mintar--where Aris renews his hatred of the Zhentarim) Queen Zaranda Star and King Haedrak III are crowned monarchs of a unified Tethyr. By the end Aris is almost bankrupt he refuses any award and remembers what his father taught him. "A wolf protects his pack." The wars renew his search for his family but also inspire ways of rebuilding his lands. Aris realizes that his enemies are very powerful and so he must also gain power to protect his people. He may never find his family but he can protect his people....

Broccli_Head

Explorer
'Depths

Uktar 23-24, 1372 Into the Depths, part I--The Manacles of Death

Grim approached the blank wall where the Heroes had told him the first secret door was located. With a faintly audible click he opened the door to reveal a set of stairs up to another blank wall.

"Go ahead, Grim, it's another hidden door," whispered Aris standing a good distance away. The rest of the Heroes waited in anticipation trailing back along the hallway, weapons at the ready, for the next fight. Grim lighly bounded up the stairs and performed his routine examination of the door. Satisfied he pushed it open.

Thwip, thwip, whoomp! greeted Grim. One arrow grazed him in the shoulder, one arrow clattered off the wall and handaxe crashed against the side of the secret door.

"Aaaargh!" Grim yelled as three gnolls eyed him malevolently from the former barracks room of the orcs. Benito hearing his companion in trouble ran to the bottom of the stairs. Two of the gnolls dropped their bows, pulled out battleaxes and moved to attack Grim. The third gnoll, pulled out another battlexe and charged Grim swinging and missing the halfling as he cartwheeled backwards down the stairs to disengage from the fight. Alberia climbed to halfway up the stairs and the rest of the Heroes moved forward. Aris and Ellysidel drew their bows ready to pepper the dog-men with arrows to clear the passageway. However, the secret door swiveled shut without any of the gnolls
touching it before they could unleash death.

"Let's just charge up there and slay them," pleaded Alberia forcefully, but without shouting hoping the gnolls who undoubtedly waited behind the door would not hear. Benito nodded his head in agreement, and started up the stairs.

"Wait! I, Milo the Magnificent, can open the door from a distance."

Alberia and Benito backed down ready to charge. Aris, Ellysidel and Grim readied their missle weapons. Nosr readied a spell. Milo pushed with a surge of golden ectoplasm that streamed from his open palm and the door swung open again. Two gnolls chopped downward at a non-existent foe, looked up and whimpered as arrows and bolts took one down and staggered the other. Benito charged around the corner first, to the left of the where the door pivoted open. Turning the corner he spied the two-axe wielding gnoll waiting. With his boots allowing him greater speed, Benito continued moving, ignored the injured gnoll, and struck the gnoll captain, his magical blade biting deep into the humanoid's shoulder. Alberia followed suit, but instead went to finish the wounded gnoll. The gnoll fell back as Alberia's upward slash sliced him from belly to chin. Nosr shrugged his shoulders and did not let loose his missles.

Milo also shrugged back and leaned on his staff, telling Nosr, "Hey, I've already done my part," with an upturn of his nose.

The magic-wielders leisurely watched and followed as therest of the Heroes switched to full-on melee. Benito traded attacks with the gnoll gaining an axe cut across his side while stabbing into the gnolls gut. Ellysidell moved up the stairs while drawing his greatsword and positioned himself to flank the big ugly gnoll slicing him in his backside. He staggered forward but did not drop. Grim was unable to take advantage and failed to hamstring him. Nor did Aris connect even after acrobatically jumping over Grim. That left Alberia. She waded into the melee with the gnoll leader calling upon her Divine Might. With a mighty downward chop, she removed the gnoll's arm and part of his upper body. He crashed to the ground pooling blood on the cold stone.
The heroes then heard but did not see someone running through the room. Benito, Grim and Aris gave chase and slashed at the air hoping to strike the fleeing target. A couple of them hit and blood droplets began to form as if from nowhere upon the floor. Ellysidel ran past to the door to prevent its escape. Alberia also ran to engage the invisible foe but her slash of the sword did not bite flesh.

Meanwhile Nosr had come up the stairs and cast detect magic on a whim to see if he could find anything. He noticed how much magic the Heroes had. Slowly the weave began to come into better focus and he saw auras. Milo sighed as he reached the battle and saw the Heroes trying to down their last and evasive foe, "I guess I will have to make things easier."

He reached into his mind and began to manifest a power that could stun his opponent. Again some sort of translucent
plasma shot out of his hands striking something just frontof Ellysidell. For Nosr the auras coalesed and he saw a strange aura frozen in the middle of the Heroes. He cast his OWN spell giving Milo a wink. Two magic missles hit between the outlines of the aura, and it dropped.

"That's one for me!" exclaimed Nosr.

Milo rolled his eyes. But the adversary was still invisible. Aris threw his cloak over it, Benito began kicking dust on it and seeing the semblance of a humanoid began patting it down for treasure and to find it's arms to manacle them. He stopped.

"Whoa. This is a female. Here Alberia, you do it."
He handed her the manacles as he turned very red.

"what does it matter? It's a gnoll," challenged Aris.

Putting up his hands, Benito made no comment. Alberia found the arms and manacled the spellcasting gnoll. Benito used a minor healing spell to bring the prisoner to consciousness. While Grim watched the rear, the rest of the party searched the other dead gnolls and the room for anything interesting. In orcish Benito strongly suggested that the prisoner become visible. She did. Then the interrogation and trial began. Alberia and Benito presided and learned how the gnolls attacked the orc who had fled Khudrukar and then decided to take up residence in the unclaimed lair. All was going well and the Tyrites did comtemplate letting her go. However, the gnoll let slip that she worshipped the Beastlord.

Benito sighed, "Well this is more than you deserve. Because you have been forthright in your answers, you will die swiftly. Alberia, please do the honors."

Alberia chopped the gnolls head off. Benito reclaimed the espojas de la muerte (Manacles of Death). During the trial, Aris, Ellysidell and the spellcasters moved through to the well room and made sure there were no other gnolls. The well room still contained rotting bodies or orcs and some hanging ones that the gnolls had been working on. More out of neccessity to rid the place of the smell than anything, the heroes proceeded to cut down and drag all the bodies to the chimney room. There a great bonfire was started to burn the bodies and signal anyone watching the Stone Tooth. Grim and Aris backtracked to secure the main doors and close the secret ones. When they returned, the Heroes dug in, healed, cleaned their weapons and waited....

...But nothing happened. Hoping that the Hlondethans would pursue, the characters had decided to fortify the well room, but except for Grim hearing someone trying to open the main doors, the vigil passed uneventfully. Grim snuck to arrow slits overlooking the doors, stairs and trail but saw nothing. Perplexed and concerened the Heroes debated their next move. In a surprisingly short time, the decision was made to continue down into the dwarven hold to find the Forge and Alberia's father. They unbarricaded the passage that led to the way down...

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Uktar 24, 1372 Into the Depths, part II--Depleted!

Grim once again took the lead, this time with Benito closer behind. They came to the rusted, iron gate beyond which lay the fire trap and the rift that led below. Pillows and other squishy items where stuffed between the bars, so the Heroes removed them to see the room beyond. Grim looked quizzically at the rest of the adventurers down the corridor near where the barricade had been and then at Benito.

"Do your stuff, small one," prompted the cleric of Tyr.

Once again, Grim had no problem opening the rusted lock that held the gate. He swung it open, and bowed. Benito strode in looking around and examining the charred remains of orcs from sometime ago and the heap of ash that had been Alberia's backpack from the last attempt to overcome the trapped door. It was then that they heard a buzzing sound. It took too long to register for Benito as he saw stirges erupt from the rift. He ran and Grim followed suit through the gate towards the rest of the heroes, but it was too late to escape the speed of the fell little beasties. The stirges were dispatched in short order by the efforts of Ellysidell, Benito, and Aris, but not without taking their toll on the cleric and halfling rogue. Yet Benito had an answer. He pulled out two scrolls on which he had prepared spells to combat a loss of health such as what the stirges or poison could do. Benito and Grim were restored to health and the heroes continued.

"Stirges, I hate stirges...," repeated Aris and he and Benito exchanged looks of worry. Hopefully, there were not more.

Grim meant to next tackle the trapped door at the north end of the room whose opening the rest of the party knew would cause flames to errupt from the walls. Aris and Ellyisell stood right at the edge of the area of effect with arms folded to see what Grim could do.

"Wait, little one," said Benito, "I have a blessing of Tyr to cast upon you that will protect you from flames, at least partially anyway."

Ready to do battle with the door now, Grim began his examinations. He found the mechanism without trouble and then proceeded to attempt to disarm the trap. A whooshing sound ensued.

"Oops..."

Fire engulfed the corridor and the halfling tumbled and rolled with great dexterity under the flames coming to rest at the feet of the genasi and the wild elf a little warm and singed, but not burned. The door was opened---and then it closed again.

Aris clenched his fists. This door was getting annoying. He looked around for answers and saw Milo non-chalantly half-raise his hand with an almost dismissing look. "Well, it is beneath my powers, but I, Milo the Magnificent will open yon door."

"Yon?" mocked Nosr. "Let me just blast it, boss."

The heroes felt the surge of raw magic around them, but Aris shook his head, "Nosr, save it. Milo, the door is yours."

The disembodied, ectoplasmic hand again did its work. A whooshing sound followed but no flames. Grim approached cautiously and looked past the doorway, wedging it with a piece of bone from one of the charred orc remains in the room. He saw two large copper tanks with many pipes leading from them into the walls. Otherwise the room was empty. "Nothing...there's nothing in here," he said with frustration.

Aris and Benito followed to get a closer look shook their heads, "Tell me, Why did we come down here?" asked Benito.

Aris made a face that echoed uncertainty and he did not answer. "Well, let's continue down. Grim, you have the point."

The Heroes of the Vilhon began their descent. Rough-hewn stairs went down into the depths. Grim led the way coming to a shallow stream that crossed the stairs and continued into a fissure. The stairs continued down, but the fissure demanded exploration. Aris volunteered and tying a rope around him waded into the stream. Quickly it descended at a 45-degree angle, forcing Aris to grab for hand-holds along the wall, but then it levelled and Aris crept through the water. Near the end of the rope, the genasi spied a cave on a ledge about a body length higher than the stream. He climbed up and saw a heap...perhaps a body, but then heard a rustling from somewhere above. Uh...time to go. he thought and let himself down from the ledge gently, yet maybe a bit too quickly as he heard the scrape of his chain shirt echo way too loudly in this side passage. The rustling became a buzzing. Aris ran!

The rest of the Heroes felt the rope go slack and heard the splashing down the corridor. Aris came out from the fissure with three stirges attached and at least five more exploded from where Aris had come. After a quick and bloody battle, the stirges all lay squashed on the ground or cut in half, but again several of the characters, especially Aris looked pale and wan from the loss of blood. Benito pulled out some scrolls and Milo used his inner strength to magically enchance bodies to recoup their bloodloss. Milo was depleted. The scrolls were dwindling down.

"There's a body down there. I would like to check it out, and the stream continues" explained Aris.

Grim waded in, the stream went up to his waist. The other adventurers followed suit. Benito seeing the difficulty in climbing in armor decided to slide down on his back. Alberia hearing that everything was fine with Benito, did the same suffering, like Benito only scratched up armor. So the heroes splashed to the cave. Grim was lifted up to the cave and he went to examine the body, a dead and dessicated dwarf, finding gold and a long, tapered stick made out of some laquered white wood. After playing around with it and trying out all sorts of words, Grim called forth light every bit as bright as a torch from the wand. "Now I don't have to rely on your weapons, guys!" he called back.

Finding nothing else he re-joined the party. Now using the wand to help him to see instead of groping his way through the dim light from Aris, Benito's or Alberia's swords behind him, he took the lead again. The stream twisted and turned and finally came to another drop; this one at a steeper angle (about 60 degrees) than the first, and it opened into something larger. Grim volunteered to go this time. Attached to a rope, with the wand of lightin his mouth, he began climbing down the tunnel and bothced it. Bumping his head he dropped the light and saw it careen and land in a pool below. Regaining his handholds, he dropped into the pool and began groping for the wand in the stream. "It's alright. It's alright," he called back raising the wand to check out the large cavern he had landed in.

"Hello, what's this?"he muttered as he saw writhing forms on the ceiling.

The writhing forms swooped towards him. More stirges! Grim's first impulse was to run and climb back from where he came, but he came to his senses. Climbing would make him defenseless and a dessicated corpse like that poor dwarf. He dodged and ducked and splashed in the water as the beasties attacked him.

"Heeeeeeelp!" Two struck him and began draining his blood.

Aris was the first to act. Using his boots and his levitation ability he surfed down the slide and went temporarily airborne distracting the bloodsuckers and hacking at one on the way down. Seeing the desparation of the situation, he called to Milo, "Blast us, blast us. Take them all out!"

The other heroes stared at each other but only briefly. Alberia and Benito slid down the slide only to fall prone at the bottom. Ellysidell tried to climb hurriedly down only to fall on top of Alberia and Benito. Milo muttered, "I have no more power....well, yes, I do."

Nosr watched in horror as Milo's muscles literally shrunk and he stooped over as strength fled from him...and as he gathered from hearing Milo yell and concentrate it was voluntary. Yet power began to surge in the mind-mage and a supernatural wave emanated from his mouth and forehead towards the melee of slashing swords and flapping wings. Then it was silent as only one stirge remained. Aris and Grim fell face first in the water, stunned and unconscious. Extracating himself from the heap of bodies, Ellysidell charged and finished the last beastie. The rest of the heroes splashed to recover their fallen and drowning comrades.

"Little buddy, little buddy..,"cried Ellysidell as he frantically scrambled to pull Grim from the stream. The halfling was unconscious but alive. He began coughing up water.
Alberia and Benito yanked their fearless and foolish leader from the water. He was not breathing! Benito checked his heart and heard that it was beating. "What is wrong with him, he does not breathe, yet he is alive!?"

Alberia concentrated to make sure he was not evil. He wasn't. "Is he undead?"

"Maybe he's possessed," mused Benito. "This is very strange. Ellysidell, how is your little brother?"

"He lives, but he is out cold and almost drowned."

"Aris lives, yet he does not breathe."

"He is blessed by his gods. Water does not affect him."

"Oh." Say Alberia and Benito simultaneously. "I will question him when he comes to," added Benito not satisfied with the wild elf's answer.

They hear a splash from back where they came and see Milo prone in the pool with a heap of rope covering him. "Oops...," they hear Nosr say as he climbs down,"Didn't mean to let go. Holding the rope started to hurt. Sorry."

Milo fixed him with a deadly stare as he weakly rose. Benito healed Grim and then began to break out the other scrolls. Grim reminded the heroes of the downed stirges and he and Ellysidell began to step on them with vengeance to make sure they never sucked anyone's blood again.

Aris came to with Alberia staring at him intently. He nonchalantly brushed his wet hair back with one hand picked up his dropped weapon and began to breathe voluntarily. "What? Is there a problem?"

"You did not breathe when you were stunned and unconscious. What are you?"

"Water cannot harm me. I am favored by the gods." And then with a dismissing, forceful gesture from his hand, "That is all you need to know, paladin."

Seeing the condition of the blood-drained and strength-drained party, Benito burned the rest of his scrolls. Milo was still not 100%, but could move better. "That's it, we are out. I thought ten would be enough..."

The stream led out of the cavern as did a set of stairs, leading up, and two passageways. The heroes decided to follow the stream. It exited the cavern through a hole too big to walk through for everyone excpet Grim. "Tell your little brother to walk through the hole, Ellysidell and explore what's beyond," directed Benito.

Grim muttered, "I'm not his little brother."

But this time he strapped the wand to his head and walked in the waist-high water to what lay beyond. Aris and then Benito, with Ellysidell and Alberia on deck followed. Milo raised a hand, "I think I'll sit this one out."

Nosr looking at his nails and blowing on them, "So will I."

Grim looked around in the new cavern, but what got him first was the stench. The shadows and light revealed many hanging and rotting bodies of orcs, humans, and others. Then the walls moved from both sides of the stream and hurled javelins at the halfling. One struck and Grim exclaimed, "Not again! I don't want to die down here in this hole!"

This time his companions were in a better position to respond. Aris, Benito, Ellysidell and Alberia charged the creatures--large lizard-like beasts with mottled skin and a foul stench. Benito, Ellysidell and Alberia almost gagged at the smell. Grim did and lost his lunch feeling drained of strength. Aris had no problems. The creatures were killed without any other trouble, however, as Benito and Alberia tag-teamed one beast with cuts and mighty slashes of their longswords while Aris and Ellysidell closed on the other. That one had no chance of survival as Aris ducked and cut across its abdomen while the wild elf nearly cleaved its head from its neck.

"I hate troglodytes!" yelled Aris

"Do you hate everything, my friend?" grimaced Ellysidell.

Aris appeared hurt for a brief second but shrugged it off with a "Bahhh!"

Milo insisted that Nosr crawl in the hole first and then followed so that the heroes could regroup. A short exploration of the cavern by the fearless point-halfling revealed three more passages out of this cavern, not counting the one they came in from. Two, however were across a murky pool. One such way out was a mud door that Aris determined led to more trogs. Aris and Benito conferred away from the rest of the party.

"Tell me again, why did we come down here?"

"To find Alberia's father, Benito."

"In all likelihood, he is dead. This place is a meat-grinder."

Sigh "Benito, Benito. Have faith. We haven't been ground yet."

"What next, then?"

"I do not enjoy the prospect of facing troglodytes in their lair, but there does not seem to be much of a choice."

Again the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach, bereft of much of their healing resources and deeper in Khundrukar find themselves before a door.

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Depths...

Uktar 24-25, 1372 The Depths of Khundrukar, part I-Breathing Room

Kicking down the mud-and-wattle door revealed a network of dark, low, and muddy tunnels and a stench and hissing followed by the clattering of claws on stone. Alberia and Benito flanked the doors with the rest of the party standing back ready for and assault. To help out her darkvision-challenged fellows, Alberia cast a light spell on one of the walls of the tunnel. Angry Hissing followed and two javelins sailed towards her, both sticking into the walls of the entry tunnel. Afte a mostly ineffective volley of missle fire (only Alberia hit) by the Heroes, Benito moved in to assault the troglodytes and felt the wall of stench as he pressed forward clenching his teeth. While he burped up some of his iron rations, his stomach held. Before he reached his javelin-tossing targets, however, he was attacked by another trog with a long, bone-tipped spear. The spear slammed against shield. Benito, recalling his training, pushed up, getting under the shield, and continued to move forward slicing the lizard across the shoulder but not felling it.

[DM note: In the confined spaces of the trog tunnels the PCs were at a -2 to hit, but that did not seem to be hindering them as they cut through their foes easily]

The other two troglodytes threw another volley of javelins, missing their intended targets again, and picked up their own longspears to try and keep the armored cleric at bay. At the same time an unarmed troglodyte rushed across the entry tunnel to assail Benito from behind. While in midair as it lept towards the exposed back of the Tyrite, Aris blew its head off with his might composite longbow. The trog hit the ground awkwardly and writhed in its death throes. Aris's smile of satisfaction was short-lived. A lizard the size of a riding horse rambled from that same corridor and chomped on Benito's leg. Benito shook his leg violently and almost desparately, but fortunately him the lizard was unable to hold on. Grim moved into the lair to attempt to flank the beast. Ducking a longspear, he attacked with his shortsword which scraped against the lizard's hide but failed to penetrate.

Benito pressed the melee while the troglodyte he faced dropped its spear and prepared to fight with tooth and claw. Deftly, using his shield, the cleric allowed the stinky beast to grab on to it as he closed even closer and stabbed it in the belly. The trog slumped over and whirled to face the big lizard ducking a thrust from a troglodyte longspear. However, as it opened its jaws to bite down upon Benito again, it closed its eye and fell asleep. Alberia saw Aris crumple to the ground as well. To her surprise, a troglodyte with all sorts of bone and fur fettishes appeared stuck to the wall not ten paces from her. This quickly turned to indignation as she charged the magic-using trog and cut deeply into its foul hide. Ellysidell followed and using his great sword as a spear, skewered the climbing trogloydyte. Meanwhile, Grim climbed on the sleeping lizard, again dodging the longspear and stabbed in a the base of the skull. Then while skittering defensively on the wall and ceiling, the spellcaster of the troglodytes disappeared.

The spellcasters were hanging back, kind of sitting this one out. Milo was out of power, and Nosr was waiting to do something cool. Seeing the sorcerous trog, peeked the Dragon Coaster's interest. Seeing it disappear brought him to action. An ice dagger flew into the spot where the creature had been. As Ellysidell, Alberia, and a sleeping Aris were covered with painful frost, they were rewarded with solid thunk. And Aris was jarred from his slumber to boot!

The battle was quickly decided. The Heroes slew the rest of the troglodytes without injury and were even able to laugh as Nosr, upon entering the lair was floored and weakend by the stench. A search of the complex revealed a chest of treasure and female and childern trogs. They were left unharmed and the mudplug was replaced as the Heroes, with some luck and skill successfully completed the raid.

THey rested for a short time in the stream room and contemplated their next move. For that purpose, Benito called upon the service of Tyr to cast an augry to determine which passage to take. While asking about the corridor beyond the pool, Benito determined that it would lead to "Woe". He shook his head and cast again, indicating the blocked passage beyond the pool..."Weal and Woe".

"Well, that's a little better..." he shrugged.

Aris agreed, reluctantly, and made ready to explore the pool...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases