tron sequel....

kirinke

First Post
don't make any comparisons with the matrix.... matrix is so not a sequel to tron.... NO LIGHTCYCLES! :)

but seriously, considering the recent pc game release of tron 2.0, who wants to bet that disney is considering a sequel to the old 80's flick?

my best hope wouldn't be a movie persay. maybe a tv mini-series? the tron universe has such a potential for plots and subplots.... i mean, it's virtually unexplored territory. disney made the movie, then did nothing with it.... just ruminations. any opins?

mattcolville

Adventurer
They were working on a Tron sequel for years. They were actually in preproduction something like two years ago. If you watch the Tron special edition DVD, the director and art designer are talking about Tron while wearing Tron 2.0 hats. There was a website for the movie, too.

Fast Learner

First Post
Tron is an interesting property for Disney. An industry insider told me an interesting story: when the movie was in pre-production, the director agreed to take only a percentage of the profits, he so believed in the film. During the filming he managed to make a ton of enemies at Disney, and by the time the film was released he was on their hit list. As a token of their affection, Disney spent every cent of potential profit on additional promotion, the video games, etc., to ensure that while Disney made plenty of money off of it, the film was never actually profitable, thus screwing the director out of his pay. All part of the Wonderful World of Disney, part and parcel for the Magic Kingdom.

I suspect that the whole brouhaha put off any sequel for quite a long time.

Remove ads